How comitted is your C/O & can a pack change thier C/O

ASM,

Yes, the VFW as well as the AFL-CIO scholarships are for members of those organizations. There is no stated restrictions on the applications besides membership, but given the limited number of awards, it would make sense for them to pick those people who will do their organizations the most good, (ie. for a VFW chartered unit)

Also, the Catholic Church nationwide now requires leaders of their scout units to go through the Church's YP training and criminal background checks. And as Beavah said, the "big guy" (the archdiocese's office on scouting) understand the big picture, even if the local pastor doesn't.

I was also recently told that the local parish isn't the actual CO. All the charters of all the Catholic units are owned by the Archdiocese, so the parish priest wouldn't have had anything to say about your money. That would come from above him.

Thank you for all your continuing advice, and keep it coming.

The thing that I do not understand is this is a Cub Pack. The CO has not supplied anything except for the number and two flags. Everything else that I as Cub Master have acquired has been purchased with pack funds that the boys have raised through fund raising. Or things that parents have donated. Any and all camping equipment that we have is mine personally so that is no problem. Our meeting place is not part of the CO and they did not set it up.

I maybe blind to all this but what can they take if I was to take this road. The only thing that they do is sign the charter when it comes time to. I would like to think that I am well versed in scouting matters but this is new territory. The way things are sounding, is that I should just leave well enough alone. I just want what is best for the kids. When I went to Wood Badge and came back the pack exploded. I can only imagine what would happen if other leaders did the same thing. Maybe I am dreaming.

When asked by the CO the Pack does do functions for them. We are active when they want us to do something. But other than that we do not even know that they exist.

EKM

Everything else that I as Cub Master have acquired has been purchased with pack funds that the boys have raised through fund raising. Or things that parents have donated.

Yah, but those funds were raised for da pack, eh? And those donations were made to the pack. And in all likelihood, pack=CO. Especially if any tax deductions were involved. The pack isn't a separate legal entity, after all.

Your ability to exist as a pack came from the CO. That's worth somethin', eh? And that same CO is responsible liability-wise for your actions. That means something, too. They're not really giving you nothing.

Now, should the partnership be stronger? Fer sure. That takes a lot of time and educatin' to develop. Even then, it's fairly unusual for a CO to spring for Big $$ for training or travel costs.

B

OK, now we're getting some info. There's a wall of some form between the Scout unit and the Chartered Partner. It's a barrier to cross-communication. We need to replace that wall and show both sides (unit and CP) that Scouting is a community win-win.

1) Contact your Unit Commissioner and DE. To me it sounds like your unit needs the "recharter service meeting" between the Professional and the Institutional Head (or Executive Officer). I'd recommend the following folks attend that particular session:

- IH

- COR

- Chairman and Program Officer of each Pack, Troop, Team and Crew under Charter

- UC

- DE

2) Have the DE and UC explain to all the commitments made in a BSA Charter. They include, for the Chartered Partner:

- Facilities (space, power, water, heat, sewage...)

- Leader Selection

- Agreement to leverage the Scouting program

In return, Scouting provides:

- Facilities (read camps)

- Training

- Support

3) The DE/UC can also explain how your Council and State law interpret the property and Treasury ownership statements.

4) Going around the table, the Chartered Partner can share what they expect from a Scout unit, be it 100% attendance at Scout Sunday, help with spring cleanup, whatever. We do owe, as a debt of honor, Good Turns back to those who sponsor Scouting in our communities.

The Chartered Partner may want you to come to them once or twice a year, and report back on how you're doing...

5) Further in turn, you and your fellow unit leaders can share their desires from the Chartered Partner. It may be you need storage space, or perhaps their sales tax exemption for buying goods. Maybe it's you need pastoral support to help do God and Me. If you ask, you might not get, but if you don't ask, you won't get.

Bottom Line: We need to make this a win/win! :)

If I might suggest, summer is coming... perhaps a summertime Pack activity coordinated with a summertime Chartered Partner activity??? Let the folks of the CP see these high-energy young men you're developing...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I am in agreement with FScouter and Scotteng

Folks, the CO does not owe your tuition to WB.

My CO was the Kiwanis(SP?). They pride themselves on buying school stuff for kids that can't afford it. They also help many other kids in our community.

$220 for WB will buy a lot of pencils and binders and paper for kids that might be lacking.

WB is for you. By the time you have completed everything snd figured out the hours you spent WB costs about a lot less than a buck an hour. The experience lasts a lifetime.

EK I think you have gotten good advice here. Let the CO know what you need. involve everyone that others spoke of. I don't see how the improved communication will fail.

I am in agreement with FScouter and Scotteng

Folks, the CO does not owe your tuition to WB.

My CO was the Kiwanis(SP?). They pride themselves on buying school stuff for kids that can't afford it. They also help many other kids in our community.

$220 for WB will buy a lot of pencils and binders and paper for kids that might be lacking.

WB is for you. By the time you have completed everything snd figured out the hours you spent WB costs about a lot less than a buck an hour. The experience lasts a lifetime.

EK I think you have gotten good advice here. Let the CO know what you need. involve everyone that others spoke of. I don't see how the improved communication will fail.

Although many CO's don't want to fess up any commitment to a troop or pack, many have some knowledge of the BSA program.

In your case there may be a bias against Cub leaders doing WB. Especially if someone in your CO is old time scouter.

Also sending three people to WB is expensive. If a CO was going to spend money on a unit, I suspect that they would rather see that kind of money go to the boys rather than to training a leader.

You may want to do two things: 1- Remind your CO that the new WB is for all scouter's, and that the target audience is scouter's with 2 years in the program, and 2- Ask for a more reasonable sum of money.