does your troop help pay for NYLT?

I talked with our incoming SM tonight about encouraging a couple of our older boys to do NYLT and he pointed out that it is fairly expensive ($210 I think, and this is in addition to summer camp which was more expensive this year since most of our older guys opted for a high adventure trip). So I'm thinking of proposing that the troop pay some of the cost for NYLT (maybe half?), for the boys who are chosen as SPL and ASPL. I'm thinking that it is worth the troop's money since it will help these guys develop as true leaders. In theory we have the money to do it but I'm sure there will be a lively discussion about the idea.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea, and why? What does your troop do?

In my troop the scout is required to pay half the fee, and the troop covers the other half. This way both the troop and the scout have an investment in the success of the scout.

Lisa,

In the past our Troop has had the Scout pay up front ($150), and then reimbursed him $50. The Council also credits $50 back to him for his summercamp fees. This way the Scout/family only pays $50 out of pocket in the long run.

We have trouble interesting our Scouts in NYLT.

This year we had one that is very interested. He is a junior and is the SPL. He is the type of Scout that follows through on things. Since he is attending NYLT and I know he won't back out, I talked with the new SM about covering the whole cost. Yesterday, I handed Council a check for $150.

Yes, I feel troops should cover part or all of the cost, depending on finances and the number of Scouts attending. Reimbursement is probably the way to go. That way the Troop doesn't get burned if someone backs out at the last minute, except for extenuating circumstances.

At least our Council also see the benefit to them, as well as the Troop, and helps out with the Campership.

Who is your CO? Ours is the VFW. Does the CO donate funds to your Troop, and if so can they help with the cost?

Eric

In our troop the Scoutmaster invites eligible scouts to attend NYLT. Scout and parents pay the fee up front, about $200. When scout successfully completes the course the scout and parents are reimbursed for half of the fee from the troop's general fund. This has worked well the last few years. Last year five scouts from our troop completed the course and this year five more are going. The troop budgets for this every year.

If finances are a challenge for a scout, the Scoutmaster can recommend a campership for the other half of the fee. This has not happened yet for NYLT, but has been used for other scout camps and high adventure.

The practice of reimbursing after the scout has completed the course successfully goes back a number of years. Apparently, there was one scout who just goofed off for a couple of days and then was sent home. The family was then out the fee, not the troop.

Early Bird cost was $180 at our Council.

Troop paid $130/ Scout paid $50

Only three slots per Troop, had 4 desiring to go. Picked name from a hat, he is on stand-by.

Each Scout had to come and stand before the committee and tell why he wanted to go.

Some kids were nervous, but I hope that helps them deal with a job interview later in life.

One of the boys said to another, "I hope you get picked for this, my Dad is forcing me to go." Dad is on the committee and silently watched his son LIE to us about how bad he wanted to attend. Dad also sat silently after discussing that one boy would have to be dropped.

Dad is an Eagle Scout. Dad is not one of my favorite people, this event shows that when you've hit rock bottom on the integrity scale you can keep on diggin'

We've told them, " The inmates run this assylum" meaning we need to be boy lead. I hope sending these guys there gets us closer to boy led.

Lisa,

I would also add that both you folks are right on the money, so to speak as in some families the Scout may have blown the entertainment budget on NYLT and may not go to camp that same summer. Heck, you want that kid with your Scouts after NYLT shined him up like a new penny.

Yah, the split thing or the boy pays up front/troop reimburses later thing is most common around here. I know one troop that reimburses over the next year based on the boy participating as a leader in the troop activities & PLC meetings, which is another option.

Beavah

We pay our guys to go, but our troop invest a lot in leadership development. We also pay for the summer camp fees of our SPL because he works so hard that many times he doesnt have time for a MB class.

Now I personally dont think the scouts come back all that different from NYLT, but the course is a tremendous confidence builder for taking on more responsibilities in your troop, which is usually a boys biggest hurdle. Also, our guys plan, train and lead our Troop JLTs, so confidence and maturity are important.

To me, the real BIG benefit a troop gains from a scout going to NYLT is he will qualify to get on NYLT staff. As a staff member, your scout will learn and practice the skills to a fine art. Not only that, he will learn the discipline and skills of developing a leadership team. Those are the guys you want coming back to build your program and PLC teams. They will be so good at it that they would good teachers for the adults if theyre willing. For what ever reason, NYLT trained scouts carry themselves a little different. These are the Scouts the young guys really look up to.

I know from experience that the main problem with adults is they dont see what the boys get from the program. It is hard to invest that kind of money into something you cant touch or see. I might suggest calling the NYLT course leader and ask him/her to come speak to your committee. Dont pull them into the discussion of money, just ask them to explain the value of the course and what it will do for your scouts and your troop program. That would go a long way in helping the adults buy into the investment.

One other thing, we read a lot about how to hang on to older scouts. Typically scouts who attend outside leadership courses like OA and NYLT stay in the program. It is an investment into all our futures.

Good question.

Barry

Barry,

I like the idea of paying the SPL's way.

Does your Council have an "SPL2B" program?

Our Council has one in place. The SPL has a chance to go to summer camp for a second week with another troop for $75 or $100 for the week. This way he can participate as a Scout, not a leader, and earn MB's or other certifications.

Now here's an idea. NYLT as a requirement to be SPL. Troop picks up half or al of NYLT costs. (At least our Council rebates $50 back as a campership for summer camp.) Then when the Scout becomes SPL, and does the SPL2B program, the Troop covers the SPL2B cost or only charges the SPL the adult rate for summer camp since he will be to busy leading to do other things. Of course if budget allows.

The Troop I serve routinely sends multiple scouts to NYLT, this year we had 3 youth serve on staff slong with 2 adults. The troop pays half of the course with the scout being responsible for the other half.

A few years back we had a scout commit to go to NYLT and then the day before decided not to go and didnt tell anyone. The Scoutmaster didnt know the youth wasnt there and only found out on Friday night when they had the "Graduation" ceremony. After much discussion at the next Troop Committee meeting, the absent scout was "billed" for the money the troop paid. Had he told the scoutmaster, perhaps another scout could have gone. I know we got many comments on the decision, all supportive, but mostly based on the fact we made the youth accountable for his actions

Maybe my troop is affluent, but...

We budget, and pay the complete registration fee, for 2 Scouts per year to attend NYLT, (called Brownsea in my council) BUT...the Scout pays the fee up front, and is reimbursed upon completion of the course. Course completion includes coming back to the troop after the week-long training, and with the SM's participation/approval, plans and carries out 2 (or is it 3?) leadership projects in the troop. Projects must be completed by the following November to get reimbursed.

Our troop does a three way split, troop for a third, the parents a third and the scout MUST earn the final third. In case of hardship, the troop will pay the parents part but not the scouts third. (If a scout can't find his own wat to earn the cash, We always have a list of folks willing to hire out for yard work (YP rules apply!))