The true cost of Scouting...

As I sit here in my La-Z-Boy with a strained back in the middle of a work day, I recollect how I got here. Last Monday, our SM (also OA Chapter advisor) asked if I could nab two of our scouts and do an OA election at a troop across town on Wednesday night. Being the "can-do" kinda guy that I am and needing a "cheerful service" tick mark for the week, I agreed. Tuesday night, I come home from work and find the OA VHS tape, DVD, written script, and blank election form with directions to the other troop stuck in my storm door. Wednesday at work, I grab a sandwich and lock myself in a conferennce room to preview the VHS tape, so that I know which of the 4 segments to play and get it cued up. Plug the tape in, the machine (TV/VCR all in one) sucks it in, whirrs for a second and then powers down. Power up and try again, the tape won't eject, won't play and the TV shuts down again. Muttering a few very decidedly un-scoutlike 4 letter words, I call the maintenance guy who takes a look and goes back to retrieve bigger screwdrivers. In a few minutes, he extracts the tape like a forceps delivery gone bad and hands it to me...but the VCR is trashed, having had mulitple parts bent in the process. So, I rush home at 5 pm, thinking I still have some time to preview the DVD, which works, but has intermittent stops, starts and flutters (It's a copy of a copy of a copy) and has visible scratches on it. SOOOOO...I think, "maybe it was the VCR, not the tape", so I go back to the bedroom and slide the tape into my wife's TV/VCR.....it sucks it in and proceeds to repeat the same thing it did at work...whirrs, click, shuts down. Eject button doesn't work. Wife comes home, and teaches me some new 4 letter words, and gives me until Saturday to get her VCR working again (she plays her yoga tape on it). So, I rush over to the other troop, arriving 15 minutes early to get their TV/DVD hooked up and cued...and it doesn't work. Nothing but snow on the screen. The TV belongs to the church and no one knew how to use it, but with 30 teens in the room, how hard can it be??? There's a bible story DVD right there, so obviously someone has used it recently. Finally, an ASM decides that he has RCA cables at home and is back in 10 minutes, hooks up the cables and VOILA we're in business! OA election successful, 2 of 3 elected (much to SM's relief who thought NONE would make it). FF to Saturday morning, I disconnect wife's TV and carry it to kitchen table for dissassembly. Sit there for an hour, finally extracting the tape after screwing a lag bolt in the front of so the pliers have something to grip. Plug in TV and BAM, VCR does not work...the tape cartridge tray is now out of alignment and a tape won't go in. I decide a new one is less than a hundred bucks, so what the heck (finding out later that you can't buy VCRs any more). Put cover back on TV and stand up and WHAM...that familiar pain shoots through my lower back which renders my back muscles into egg-like knots right under my belt line. I call #2 son and tell him to return TV to bedroom, while I swallow an 800 mg Ibuprofen and hobble to my chair. On the bright side, it did get me out of yard work the rest of the weekend. Sunday morning, I can hardly move, but wife informs me we have theater tickets at 2pm and concert tickets at 7:30. Being the macho guy I bravely get in the car, thinking that the sooner I get walking and loosened up, the sooner I'll feel better. Wrong! It did't work this time, and I had to stop 3 times to sit and rest between the parking lot and the theater, and spent two hours in pain sitting in theater seats designed for turn-of the century bottoms (and backs).

I called in sick this morning, not because I can't work, but because I have to park a half mile away from my office in a parking garage and can't walk that far. My chiropractor opens at 3 pm and I will be there waiting for him...

Just got a voice mail from our SM who will be late tonight because he's working late, so as the other adult with a key to the building, I will shake off the pain and drag my paralyzed body over to the church so the guys can have a meeting.

So, I figure a simple good deed has cost me about $300, not counting pain and suffering, and a day of sick leave. Too bad it doesn't count towards our FOS goal.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Scout handbook - $12

Scout shirt - $30

Switch back pants - $40

Chiropractic Adjustment for low back pain - $52

Meals on a campout - $12

Repairs to 3 VCR's - $200

Cost of Scouting - PRICELESS!

Local,

Everything costs less here in the south. $52 just for the adjustment, more for therapies, rehab, etc.

I'm sure it's nice in NH, but the winters are harsh too, right? I can play golf year 'round, almost.

G

GNXguy,

I think there are costs associated with scouting. like the VCR repairs, time spent away from wives, other family members, time at work spent on scouting, the small expenses that add up over time.

In the end, though, it pays. When the scout earns his badges, finds a new career opportunity through a MB session, learning self reliance, etc.

It does indeed have both costs and rewards.

Gonzo,

There must have been a continental shift or some other anomaly putting Ohio farther south then Georgia. Went to the DC yesterday for the first time. Cost 45 dollah.

Think we should let them in on the rafting story? Second thought, nah.

Has anyone ever heard a final conclusion on what happened in "Tragedy in Virginia"?

Eric

3 days of sick leave and counting. DC says "displaced sacroiliac joint" which strained the ligaments...it felt wonderful Monday after the cold pack, electrical tingly machine, and adjustment, but the next morning I was crooked again. Lower back feels like I've been kicked by a mule, and whenever I stand for more than a few minutes, my right leg starts tingling. I go back this afternoon for another visit. As long as I stay stationary, it's fine, which drives me nuts. I can work...just can't get there...even with a HC permit, I would still have to walk about 100 yards. Luckily my boss is very understanding, I have good insurance, and I have my laptop to keep me wired to the forums! VCRs are totaled, so I won't be repairing them. It would cost more than they're worth. The TV part still works, though.

If you read the "Tragedy" thread, the denouement was "distracted driving". They would not elaborate, but I suspect there was a cell phone involved. The families were very gracious and refused to assign blame, saying just that it "was a tragic accident"...

There but for the grace of God go we...

If a young person has a genuine and serious interest in any endeavor, a caring parent is going to commit time, energy and money to helping the child develop.

Raising a child is not cheap. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Right now I am checking production on the annual HS band DVD. I also have to get the physical arrangements plan for roundtable done today.

As far as equipment goes, I challenge anyone here to compare a full suite of backpacking gear to a higher end musical instrument... even used. I'm about to drop $4K on a tuba, because his skill has progressed to the point where the upgrade is worth the investment.

One thing I've noticed, though: The HS band uniform (granted it's property of the school) has far better construction, material, fit and finish than the piece of excrement produced by Supply Corporation. We need BSA to drop back 40+ years and look at construction, fit and finish on the classic green uniform!

G1- you use those bright orange balls in winter. The blackflies and mosquitos stop biting when it hits freezing. The golf carts have snowmobile tracks on them. And isn't that swing bad for your spine anyway? But as for the post, Scouting does pay. I have never been in jail for anything, but alot of kids I went to school have! I wasn't (and am not) perfect, but I'm no scofflaw. EDITED PART: Oh yeah, when the wind really howls off the mountain, you can drive a ball half a mile!(This message has been edited by local1400)

Scoutldr,

Hmm, displaced sacroiliac joint, one of the most common reasons why people visit chiropractors. Be patient, each adjustment moves a bone (as in a joint) only about 1 millimeter. So, it will take several adjustments to correct the problem, continue with the ice and electrical muscle stimulation (tingly thing) and you'll be as good as new, or real close anyway.

Local,

I grew up in chicago, so I know winters. But, there's nothing like living in Georgia, it's real nice here as I'm sure it's real nice there.

John-in-KC

Those older green uniforms were great! They looked good, fit well, and as a youth, e never needed a "class B" because the green uniform held up well. Maybe it could be updated with cargo pockets on the pants, hmm, switchbacks.

G

(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

Oh, great post, Scoutldr! Sorry about the back, though. I had lower back spasms twice in the last 8 years and it is an ugly thing! My heart goes out to you, and I wish you a painless recovery.

The cost of scouts ranks right up there with One Hour A Week! My dh started to figure up what I kick in as Den Leader each month then got so frightened that he gave up that idea - and we charge den dues! At least my parents are with it enough to realize they don't begin to cover the costs, so they chip in craft supplies and extra dues from time to time!

John-In-KC, band uniforms are more durable, but they are awful to try and do anything in, including sleep! Especially once you put on the coat!

Scoutldr,

Everytime I've had back problems I've noticed it is because I was negligent in keeping my core strength up. When you're able, I recommend working up to a morning regiment of 30 proper sit-ups. Chin glued to chest, arms behind head (but no pulling), knees bent. Sit-ups are a series of three, 1st straight, 2nd right elbow to left knee, 3rd left elbow to right knee. Try some ankle weights draped over your ankles to help keep your feet on the floor. To start, you may want your arms crossed in front on your chest instead of behind. This will strengthen both your abdominal and lumbar muscles and they will actually support your spine once again. Also, throw in push-ups. Work up to 25. A daily dose of 25 push-ups and 30 sit-ups will do wonders for your core strength!

SWScouter

... wait a minute ... GNX Guy is correct ... scouting does pay!

Let's see ... my "honey do's" is growing and getting lengthier. By the time scouting is over, my wife is waiting for the pay back! ;)