Is there a restriction on the length of a pocket knife?

The adults in my troop carry a Totin Chit.

As for knife legnth, like others have stated, it varies and alot of times debated. As a scout whose owned more than enough that were not "scout legal" I just made sure that none of the staffers/leaders saw me with said knives. I think that the counselor cutting of the corner for that is a little harsh, but I guess you can't get rid of every rat.

Fellow Scouters,

Eagle76 brought up a good question. Are adults required to earn the Toten' Chip?

Well the card refers to a Scout, "This certification grants a Scout the right to carry and use woods tools." So while it seems it is not required for adults to earn, it is the smart thing to do. It practically follows the BSA Teaching EDGE ideals. Explain, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable.

Most adults would earn the cards for Outdoor Code, Toten Chip, Whittlin Chip and Firemn Chit during Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills and Basic Adult Leadership Outdoor Orientation, when they visit the axe yard, fire pit/fire lay and the campsite selection lessons.

I personally dont carry my cards on me, but rather place them into my binder of training cards. So I would be stuck trying to provide my credentials on a weekend camporee.

While staffing my most recent IOLS, I learned something completely new about the Japanese camping saw, and cutting on the pull stroke. Guess you can say I had a Wish I had a V8 or Holiday Inn Express moment. But this fabulous instructor, (he was really good), omitted the camp shovel being considered a wood tool and its use in the fire lay to move fire and coals. Maybe not as exciting as a pocket knife or ax, but it is still considered a wood tool.

So I would comment, again; while not a requirement, it is a smart practice for adult leaders to earn and obtain the Toten Chip. Ideally, that the leadership may understand the BSA rules and adequately teach our Scouts the wood tools proper use and keep everyone safe. Also, so that we are instructing our youth from the Boy Scout Handbook Second Class requirements, as well as the Guide to Safe Scouting and clarifying when applicable our local Camp and local Troop policies.

Similarly, it is a practice for most Troops to give a Scout up to three chances, and only take one corner of the card for each offense, when the Scout has demonstrated they do not know the rules they have sworn to on the card.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

The "Trained" patch under the Scoutmaster or assistant Scoutmaster position patch indicates the use of woods tools has been covered. Assuming of course training committee hasn't eliminated Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills or the woods tools segment from the requirements to be considered "trained".

While reading this I was thinking here is another scouter or scout (the young staffer) who was doing what he thought was correct. Because of myths.

Myth one: You can misuse a cutting tool 4 times, before your rights to use them are taken away.

Myth two: Only folding knives are allowed in scouting.

I am sorry to say that I blame scouters for not checking out what the rules are before training the youth.

I know those to be myths because no two scout camps have the same rules when it comes to knives.

As far as the toten chit, I don't buy into the 4 corner myth thingy. I've confiscated a knife and tore up the toten chit on the first offense if it was severe enough. Obviously the scout wasn't paying attention during the instruction.

Stosh