Securing a release by the Chartered Org.?

This is something I went through just last year. We changed due to a lack of interest and involvement from our CO. We really wanted to try and make things work, but constantly hit a wall with the old CO. We decided to look for a new CO, explained our situation and expectations of each other. Be sure you have a new home before you leave the old one. All I needed, as per my DE was a letter to release our pack from the charter. I drafted the letter myself and let the old CO head sign it. Keep it simple. The letter was only two sentences long. While not much, we took all our assets with us. No questions asked by the old CO at all. Probably due to their lack of interest, they didn't even inquire about assets. And be sure to talk to your DE BEFORE doing anything.

Talk with your Unit or District Commisioner.

Talk with your District Executive.

Then, the CC should visit with the Executive Officer of the Chartered Partner and the COR. This will be a formal business meeting.

Dot the i's, cross the t's.

Why?

1) How many units are under charter? If you are the only unit, then the CP is relinquising the charter. They can be asked, legitimately, to transfer equipment and funds to the new CP.

2) If, however, there is more than one unit under charter, and yours is the only unit migrating, the Chartered Partner CAN ASSERT THE RIGHT to retain the equipment, and the funds, for use in the Scouting program.

One other caution: Councils keep book on CCs and SM/CM/Adv who move units among chartered partners. A good friend was at risk of having her dues remitted by the BSA local Council and being told her membership was revoked ... for upsetting too many CP relationships.

More important than all this is "why do you want to change Chartered Partners?" What are they not doing to live up to the Charter Agreement? Have you had your UC and DE pay calls on them? Have you tried to work through the problem?

Remember, the Charter is a license of the Scouting program to a community organization, to advance the interests of youth citizenship!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

VinceC: Thanks. Seems to be no form, or at least a letter will do.

John-in-KC: Yes. Yes. Yes, all are involved. But the more important question of why? Not to be addressed here. The short answer is that a coup took place, unprovoked, unexpected, unwarranted ... Our side of the story will be compelling, that we were wronged, the CP is stealing a program and assets from the boys. The CP side? ... no one really knows and the CP isn't talking (change is essential blah blah blah). Arguing it here wont change anything, especially the situation we find ourselves in.

Bob White will parrot (that was humor ... Bob White (quail)...parrot) that the CP is entirely within their right and he is correct. Sad that the CP can act so outside the Boy Scout law (remember trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind ?, a church and pastor, no less) and so lose sight that it is a BOY scout troop, not a CP troop yet still be lily white in the eyes of BSA (as all CPs are). But that is the organization we chose to be in and we play by their rules. The closer you are to the boys, the less the rules are for you, it seems. That would mean the boys are at the bottom of that continuum.

So the only question is the mechanics. We are *asking* our release, not expecting it but feeling the need to at least ask before proceeding to other options. Let my people go. Never asked, never answered.

Mr or Ms Wildweasel,

The shortest and safest path to ensure the youth as well as the adults stay around Scouting is abandon the equipment and any general funds.

THEN, each family transfers their Scout and Scouters to other area Packs, Troops, Teams or Crews (whichever applies).

If the Chartered Partner, for any number of reasons, says they are acting in good faith in the best interests of themselves and Scouting, the Scouters inside the unit will be the ones on the short end of the stick.

Many of us here have listened to lots of stories, and told a few. If you ask others who are regulars on this Forum, you'll find we pretty well understand we never have even one full side of the story, let alone both sides. Sometimes we don't even give out our full stories.

I stated this before, and I state it again: What are they not doing to live up to the Charter Agreement? If the Chartered Partner is living up to the Charter Agreement, attempting to shift the unit is a high-risk proposition for the Scouters involved. OTOH, if the Chartered Partner is not meeting the elements of the Agreement, then the local Council, through professionals and district/council volunteers, will be far more amenable to change.

I wish you well.

YIS

It's Mr. WW, but ww will do. It is really difficult, I've found, to find the CP outside of the agreement, because they have the full support of the local council. Apart from having documented illegal or immoral activities ... there is little a troop can do. Just not being trustworthy, loyal, helpful ... isn't enough unless you have a letter stating that "we, as the CP, are no longer going to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful ... ". Circumstances are not sufficient.

The CP, without warning, discussion, complaint ... anything, days before recharter was due, suspended the troop in a explaination free letter to the boys and parents, pending a reorganization and fired the SM and a handful of commitee members. Not asked them to leave - registered letter removed immediately. No explaination of what the problem was, what they want changed or anything. Out of the blue, "which is their right". Trustworthy, loyal, helpful ...? not even a little. Not a shining example of the BSA Law to our scouts, who have had their scout lives, activities and events yanked out from under them with no explaination.

All within the rights of the CP. But not a CP I want to be involved with any longer.

It the CP suspended the entire Troop, fired various folks & did not recharter, then they have voided their charter. They have dropped the unit.

While the equipment & assests are technically theirs, if they are no longer a CP & are not planning on chartering a new Troop, then all of the current Troops assets should revert to the council.

What does your COR have to say? Your CC needs to contact your DE ASAP. The DE should meet with the COR & IH of the Charter Org to determine what it is they are doing. DE's do NOT like to loose charters!

I would suggest that all of your Troop families either look for a new CP or transfer to new Troops. Your DE should be able to help you all find a new CP. DE's DO like adding new charters!