Urgent Prayer Request for a Scout

Fellow Scouters, I have an urgent prayer request. We have had a tragedy in the Troop that AntelopeDud and I serve. Last Thursday, one of our 15 year old Scouts attempted suicide. Out of respect to the young man and his family, I will spare you the details other than to tell you he is in pediatric intensive care on a ventilator and feeding tube with a very grim outlook. Please pray for this young man, his family, his friends at church and school and our troop. Our troop is ministering to his family's needs as best we can and we have a plan in place for addressing this with our 60+ scouts and parents. Obviously, our greatest concern is with this young man. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

SR540, I will absolutely pray for this young soul and for your troop.

When I was a scout, our troop had our SM and two ASM's. One of the ASM's committed suicide. It was a terrible experience to go through as a young man. His two sons were part of our troop and didn't stay around long after.

I think what struck me the most was the lack of solid communication within the troop and how that generated lots of rumors among us kids. I'm sure there's no real answer to this problem, but be as open with your scouts as possible and in my opinion, it will help them get through this a bit easier.

God bless your young scout and his family.

kb6jra

May the great master of all scouts watch over and protect him and his family in this difficult time. I hope and pray for a good outcome for him and that his family is spared the pain of losing a child.

Beaver

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone touched by this sad event.

It's not very often that I'm lost for words.

I just can't even try and imagine the terrible pain this Lad's parents are going through.

Over the past few months it seemed that OJ and I were not as close as we had been. I'm not sure why? Or if there was any reason for it?

We didn't even seem able to agree to disagree.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed was at times caught in the middle of our petty and at times infantile squabbles.

Three weeks ago while playing deck hockey, he fell and dislocated his shoulder.

HWMBO and I were at one of her Doctor visits. Our phones were turned off. As ever we were running late as she had to be at work at 3:00.

She works in the local ER. So you can imagine the greeting we received when I dropped her at the door.

In order to get his shoulder back in place the Doc gave him some fairly strong meds.

I dropped her off and parked the car.

When I went into the ER the nurse was happy to see me and said that he had been asking for me.

Of course I was sad to see him in pain and so very uncomfortable, but part of me was so happy that I knew he still needed me.

While of course prayers and thoughts need to go out for this Lad and his family and friends.

Still I do feel we might spend a minute thanking God for our own kids and ask that they remain safe and well.

Easter is a time of new life and time for new beginnings.

Eamonn.

Hey Beaver, keep us posted as you can, would you please?

I'm sure we'd all like to know whether the young man pulls through (while realizing things may be status quo for a while).

Thanks.

Thanks so much to all of you. Your prayers are heard and are helping this young man's family cope with this. I wish I had better news but unfortunately things aren't getting any better and this will not end as we would like for it to.

He is a normal 15 YO with issues no different than our own son's. Due to his youth and bad outside influences, he felt that he had no other outlet but to end his life. The tragedy is that none of the issues he was having were really that significant to an reasonable adult, but everything to an emotional young man in love and confused about life.

Please continue to pray ... pray for a miracle and pray for his family. Remember that we have an unvbelievable opportunity to help our boys. Don't let restrictions, rules or guidelines keep you from truly being there for these kids. You just never know who might be crying inside and we are in a unique position to possibly say or do the one thing that might make a difference.

-AD

This touches close to home. I've had very good friends who have been here. My prayer go out to the famly ,Troop and community. May the Great Spirit watch over, protect and guide this young soul, which ever path Destiny may take him.

In my field, I see this to often, children loosing parents, parents loosing children.

I do not mean to appear out of line, especially not knowing the circumstances, but I have one request.

Beaver and AD, if the outcome is looking poor, please have someone talk to the family whether donation is a possibility.

So many time no one does.

So many times the family in the sorrow never considered the option. So many times the family stated they would have considered and said yes.

And so many times another life misses a chance.

A SCOUT IS ALWAYS HELPFUL AND PREPARED, even during tragedy.

Everyone is in my prayers.

It saddens me to have to give this update, but it would have taken a genuine miracle to report good news to you. After a battery of tests, it has been determined that this young man no longer has any brain activity and can never recover. His family has decided on organ and tissue donation and the search for matches will somewhat drive the removal of the ventilator. It will most likely be very soon.

Please keep this young man's family and friends in your prayers. I can never presume to know what goes on in the mind of a person who chooses to take their own life. I only know that this was senseless and needless. The hospital has been a beehive of activity between family, school friends, church friends and scout friends. This young man had so many people who cared for him and loved him that he could have turned to. For whatever reason, he either failed to see that or rejected it. Please go home today and hug your child(ren), tell them you love them and REALLY talk to them and get to know them better.

Our CC, AntelopeDud has been a rock thruout all of this and has spent a considerable amount of time with the family at the hospital. Our SM and Chaplain did an outstanding job at our Troop meeting Monday night to begin the initial dealings with the boys in the Troop. Next week we will have a professional counselor at the meeting to discuss what has happened with the boys and their parents.

Again, thank you for your prayers and support. This is not the end of this tragedy. Please continue with your prayers.

Thank you!

Beaver and AntelopeDud,

I'm so sorry to hear that the situation could not have a better outcome. The death of any young person is a difficult thing, and one by their own hand brings up many feelings of guilt in those left behind.

I'm so glad to hear that you are having a professional counselor come to the troop. Be sure to listen to his/her words yourself. We think most about the lost one's peers at this time, but the adults are just as affected. I pray that everyone will find a peace within themselves about this sad tragedy.

I hope the family finds solace in allowing the tissue and organ donations, it really can be a miracle to those who receive life from someone else's death.

Peace, understanding, and comfort to you all.