Daughter's want to be Boy Scouts hate Girl Scouts

FWIW, its no longer "Y Indian Guides". The YMCA decided that 'Indian Guides' wasn't PC, and change the program, dropping the Native American culture focus and calling it "Adventure Guides". This has upset a lot of people, who formed their own group called "Native Sons and Daughters".

4-H, IMO, doesn't have much of a program, unlike long past. It seems more aimed at rural youth, since it is part of the US Department of Agriculture.

Am not fully clear on the program changes of GSUSA. They are currently in the midst of merging many of their councils, going from about 300 or so (same number as BSA) to about 100 or so. Several of their attempts at program changes have not been well received by the girls. (ex: Studio 2B, which seems a copy of the BSA's 1970s revamp of Explorers). From what some have told me, the GSUSA thinks that asking girls who aren't Girl Scouts what they want will somehow help the program, forgetting that this might turn off the girls who are already Girl Scouts...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, looks like the thread has wandered into a debate about the nature/history of venturing crews. (*sigh and roll of the eyes*) sometimes you guys really do not stay on topic.

Anyway, MomisBoyScout, I wanted to encourage you again and invite you to help me keep the "girl Scouting" forum active. Lets start sharing there and network with other scouters that have a love for the young girls,and work with them, but feel more comfortable with the BSA culture!

I think there are a lot of people in our situation. We need to network more strongly.

"looks like the thread has wandered into a debate about the nature/history of venturing crews. (*sigh and roll of the eyes*) sometimes you guys really do not stay on topic."

Its not a matter of some people not being able to 'stay on topic', but that some people are still confused about Venturing and some of the other programs of the BSA (Venture Patrols, Varsity Scout Teams, etc), and when they are brought up, this leads to confusion. (and the need to make things clear).

Sometimes Girl Scout Troops don't 'do' anything because their leaders haven't gotten all the required training in and/or the limited leaders have trouble meeting the GSUSA standards for outings as outlined in Safety Wise.

Example -

I have been a Brownie Leader since October 2007.

I took the required Orientation training in October. (3 hours, no cost)

I took the required Basics training in January. (4 hours, no cost)

I took the required age-level training in January. (4 hours, no cost)

I am taking the required CPR/First Aid training in March. (8 hours, $55 cost)

***** AFTER CPR/First Aid Training in MARCH, I CAN FINALLY TAKE THE GIRLS SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THEIR MEETING PLACE for a DAY field trip *****

(as long as I have permission slips and copies of health histories on my person, and another trained leader with the group (who has taken Orientation, Basics and Age-Level training), and depending on the activity I have to meet a certain girl to adult ratio listed in Safety Wise!)

In order to go overnight Troop Camping -

I am taking the required Introduction to the Outdoors training in April. (9 hours, $5 cost)

I am taking the required Troop Camp Leadership Option 1 in May. (8 hours, $7.50 cost)

I am finishing up the required Camping overnight for Troop Camp Leadership in June. (Overnight, $7.50 cost plus food and gear)

****** AFTER JUNE our Troop can FINALLY go overnight CAMPING *********

(as long as I have permission slips and copies of health histories on my person, and another leader who has taken the following training courses - Orientation, Basics, Age-Level, and CPR/First Aid - with the group, and depending on the activity I have to meet a certain girl to adult ratio listed in Safety Wise!)

So ya see... "DOING SOMETHING" with the Girl Scouts requires a Volunteer leader (like myself) to schedule in all this required training, come up with the money to do so, etc.

Boy Scouts requires probably a third of all the precautions and training that Girl Scouting does. It is what it is!

I would certainly suggest to any Moms or Dads who feel their GS Troops weren't up to par - to start volunteering to "DO SOMETHING" for the Troop, such as help fulfill some of those training requirements so your daughter's Troop can go somewhere other than their meeting place. And maybe YOUR schedule is more lenient and YOU can do the CPR/First Aid and Troop Camp Leadership training, sooner than the actual Troop leader can - BY ALL MEANS VOLUNTEER YOURSELF - I am sure the Troop Leader can use the help!(This message has been edited by Joni4TA)

Let's not forget that the CPR is good for only 1 year and the First Aid for 3. To cover your Troop you really should have 1 other adult take CPR/First Aid the year after you take the training (before your CPR runs out).

We used to be able to take the CPR/First Aid training thru council at a reduced rate. However they very seldom offered it more than once a year (some years we were lucky to get it once). Then they started telling us that while it was a required training, the council was no longer going to offer it and we would have to find the training elsewhere.

We were lucky because one of our Troop's moms was a medical professional and we were able to use her as our First Aider if my coleader or I were unable to find/take training.

Personally, I like the first aider requirement and wish that BSA had it too. However, there has to be sufficient training available.

And you can't forget all the paperwork to even get started, at least in my council.

Registration form

Volunteer Application

3 References

Background Check

Partnership Agreement

not to mention you have to fill out the registration and partnership agreement every year.

I was so happy it was just one piece of paper for cub scouts. Even getting the required signatures wasn't as big of hassle as all the GS paperwork.

Karen