Political Campaigning and Scouting

Need some help here people.

Our new SM received an email from our COR. The COR was asked by a scouting parent, who is running for judge in the upcoming election, if any of the scouts needed service hours for a project, and asked if the scouts would pass out fliers door to door.

I emeiled back to not commit because there are specific rules that prohibit involvement unless the fliers are generic. ie: "GET OUT AND VOTE" or list all candidates and parties.

How would you go about informing this candidate, who has done a lot fot the Pack and Troop, that the Scouts can not help?

Good morning ASM915,

First, Be delicate so as not to upset "his honor"

Next, let me know that BSA rules prohibit scouts from participating in this type of thing, particularly while in uniform. But, you could ask the scouts if anyone wants to help him, they should be encouraged as this type of thing would be good citizenship, but they would have to be in street clothes, not uniforms.

All the best,

G

I think you need to be careful with this last idea Gonzo, for three reasons. First, it may appear to be nod, nod, wink, wink to the rules. We've had our CO try this on us. "Well the rules say you aren't supposed to do this in uniform as scouts. So just make the troop do it out of uniform." Don't know about the rest of you but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think teaching boys to look for loop holes to rules they find inconvenient is quite what we want to be doing.

Second, if this person has done a lot for the troop, is there any sense of payback here? Or of coercion? Or of, he'll stop doing these things if you don't go out there (as scouts) and support him? That, again, would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Third, is your troop open to announcing this "opportunity" for any political candidate for any office who comes along? If not, why not? Because you run the risk of politicizing the troop if the answer is yes to some and no to others. But you run the risk of being inundated with such requests if the answer is yes to all.

I'd just steer clear of this whole minefield by explaining how scouts is not supposed to be political and at the very least it would create the appearance of scouting supporting a particular candidate for you to be involved - which might also put some scouts in an awkward personal position.

It may be a minefield, but I don't see any loophole either. The application, (a useful tool) says "Citizen activities are encouraged, but partisan political activities are prohibited".

It may be wise to steer clear, but if some scouts wanted to put up signs, pass out flyers etc, as long there is no reprisal for not doing so, I don't see a problem.

I have considered running for office in the past (considered, but never did) and would never think of asking scouts for their time.

It's quite possible that the Scouting Parent and the COR just aren't aware of the rules about Scouts and Political Campaigning. Given that this person is running for Judge, I'm sure that once they are told what the rules are, they'll understand. If they don't understand, then I'd wonder if the person is cut out to be a Judge. I'd let the COR and the Scouting Parent know what the rules are and leave it at that.

CalicoPenn

When his email came out to everyone, I emailed the COR, CC, SM, one very involved Comm. Mem., and the DE only, requested that the Troop not commit because of a possible conflict with policy and asked DE for her take on it. Of course I already knew of the problem, but felt it would be better being clarified by her.

A little COR history. Don't call the house phone. Don't use email because I rarely check it (he did this time). Call the cell.

We work different shifts so most correspondence goes out in eamil.

Today I was approached by the COR at a ECOH. He was a little upset about contacting Council. He stated he knew it was against policy and didn't need clarification from Council. I stood there in disbelieve that he would send out his email phrased the way it was, putting the Troop on the spot, instead of asking if there were any families who on their own time, totally outside of scouting, willing to help the candidate with the campaign. I let it drop for now, an ECOH not being the appropriate place to get into this type of discussion.

No, the candidate and the Troop have no current ties. I'm not sure about the Pack though. I've offered to place a sign in the yard because he is an excellent candidate.(This message has been edited by ASM915)