How do you promote your troop without disparaging another

When parents are looking at what Troop to send their son's to, they are also looking to the leaders of the Troops to find out what Boy Scouts is all about. If they did not choose the first Troop because they "let the boys fail", then you probably could have done a better job explaining the benefits, aims and methods of Boy Scouts. Obviously, your Scout Troop does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I think OneHour hit the nail right on the head. Once you explain how Boy Scouts is supposed to work, they will see how well your Troop does it. Just assume that all Troops follow the same priciples. When it is seen that some Troops are either Webelos III dens or if they just let their boys run amuck, then and disparage will come straight from the source, not you.

-AD

gwd,

Lots of good responses. As noted, perhaps there could have been an explaination to the parents regarding what was going on during the outing. An explaination regarding how letting the boys "fail" helps them to learn could have helped. But that's hind-site and I'm sure you didn't even think of it as a potential problem at the time. (I think I'll include a talk to help the parents understand the program better at our future Troop/Web outings)

With regard to your specific question and your specific case:

I do not think that you need to say anything disparaging at all. It sounds like this parent already suspects that there is something not quite right; afterall you said she is running her son's patrol.

In the future if she asks your opinion, you could simply say that you're not familiar with any details from the other Troop, but then you could ask her what she thinks based on what she understands about how a Troop is supposed to run. Like I said, she may already suspect that there is something wrong, but just needs someone to talk to about it. I don't see the harm in letting her express her concern. You could suggest that she go to SM specific training so she can better help the Troop. You may find that she is ready to make a change, but encourage her to make sure it is a change that her son wants to make as well...

ASM59

When you are recruiting and you know they are looking at another troop, you have to walk a fine line with what you say. I don't want to bad mouth other troops, because for the most part, they are running the same program and the Scout can get a quality Scouting experience from them (of course, not as good as my troop :)

1. A local troop has had some real issues with their SM wanting to make every decision. When speaking to a WL about that, I told him to really check things out and get all the facts. Every troop has its good and bad points. From there, you can decide what is best for you and your Scouts.

2. When recruiting against one of the mega troops, I tell the Webelos and parents that the other troop runs a very good program and they can have a quality Scouting experience. They can go there and hop along for the ride. My troop is looking for people (Scouts and adults) that really want to make an impact and help create a great troop. I've had Webelos leaders that told me they joined us because they wanted to make an impact and be really involved. On the other hand, I've had WL that told me the parents would rather just plug their kids into the other troop and not be involved.

3. When a WL or parent tells me about all these great activities this other troop does, I tell them that most Scout troops doing 80% the same things and that the real guage of how well a Scout will enjoy the program is the other Scouts in the troop. When Webelos come to visit, we try to get them mixed in with our Scouts to see how much they like each other.

4. In the couple of occasions where a WL has flat out told me another troop has problems, I just say that I don't know their situation and that the WL is smart in any case to check out multiple troops and really consider their various options.

Great responses folks and pretty much along the lines of how I responded to the WDL asking me questions about their choice in the Troop they joined.

I did not disparage any troop in our district when asked pointed questions about them - the WDL had her den visit several other troops and then sought my opinion of them. It was to say the least an uncomfortable position to be put in and, yes, I was a bit put off by being so helpful to these folks and then having them chose another troop over ours. Oh well.

I have certainly learned that I must do a better job of explaining to our visitors the methods of Boy Scouting and the oftentimes chaotic functioning of the boy-led troop.

Now, as I said, these folks are revisting our troop and going to summer camp with us. There are three Scouts involved, one Dad, one Mom and the Mom/WDL. The Moms have stated they don't necessarily like the way things are run in their troop, but it was their son's decision and they'll stick by it. Don't know Dad's feelings. I certainly hope their sons get a great experience in their troop and I'll do nothing to paint a negative picture of that choice.