"I agree with the age changes. Bring the Rovers south of the border."

You mean bring back Rovers. We used to have them in the BSA.

"Would the over 14's still be allowed to work toward Eagle?"

Don't know. It depends. If we end the Boy Scout Program at 14, do we still allow for Venturers/Sea Scouts to earn Eagle? Personally I don't care.

This is part of the reason I say to keep Varsity Scouts. This allows for those boys (and adults) who want to still be involved with 'boy scouting' after 14 to have a place to go to.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - lots of good ideas. I'd lower the age for Eagle from 18 to 17 and then eventually to 16. I know in my area we spend a tremendous amount of time and effort trying to engage 16-17 year-old scouts. Not to mention the grinping and moaning we hear when one of these guys comes back to the troop at age 17 to earn Eagle. Eagle by 16 and then on to venturing your go ...

As I see it, if we wait till 16 or 17 to move Boy Scouts from the Troop to Venturing is that most of them will not be around for very long till they are off to college.

In our area the Ship and Sea Scouting seems to be most appealing to 16 year olds, but no sooner are they in when it's time to graduate from High School and off they go.

The 14 -21 age group just isn't working.

Even those who opt to go to local community college are busy working at full time jobs and just don't have the time.

Ea.

As I see it, if we wait till 16 or 17 to move Boy Scouts from the Troop to Venturing is that most of them will not be around for very long till they are off to college.

In our area the Ship and Sea Scouting seems to be most appealing to 16 year olds, but no sooner are they in when it's time to graduate from High School and off they go.

The 14 -21 age group just isn't working.

Even those who opt to go to local community college are busy working at full time jobs and just don't have the time.

Ea.

Eagle by 16 sounds good to me, have a young man right now who made the deadline by hours. He has been so active in Scouting, O/A and school his Eagle was always on the back burner. Looking forward to his COH.