I agree with the others...awarding the SB for donating money is just wrong. Awards should not be purchased. I also have served on the District selection committee and the biggest problem is getting nominations. SOme forms just had a name on them. Some just said "Jim is a really great guy and deserves this award." Sorry, can't do anything with that. Also, it's hard to get someone's "resume" without telling them why you need the information, so most people don't bother. The same issues seem to hinder the OA Vigil nomination procedure. You can't be selected if you're not nominated, and getting people to track down all the information required and then fill out the form in a coherent, convincing manner is just beyond the capability of most people. It's frustrating to see Scouters with 30 years of dedicated service be passed up year after year, while the DE/Staff advisor to the lodge gets the Vigil honor within 3 years of being hired...the schmooze factor is alive and well. Sadly, we have years when awards go unawarded for the lack of quality nominations.

I understand scoutldr about the issue of the write up.

Have you ever known someone that just inherently you know he deserves the Silver Beaver but you just can't get it for them? This guy I know is on the Executive Committee and has worked with ScoutReach for over 5 years. I think he is Silver Beaver or Whitney Young material, but when I start to fill out the paperwork, I can't fill most of it in. The forms are looking for dates and names of programs he ehlped with. I know he did those things, because I helped him after he asked me. I know they happened because of him, but I dont remember the dates.

The same thing with the Disitrct Award of Merit, by the time you notice a guy who should be getting it, you cant track down what it is he has done, besides saying, alot of stuff and that doesnt cut it. I asked if the Council could help, and low and behold, nope they can't. To nominate someone for the awards it appears you have to keep track of everything they did from the time they entered scouting and I think thats unreasonable. A few years back a collusion was discovered in the Disitrict. Two scouters made a deal, you nominate me and I will nominate you. They exchanged information and both received the DAM. Wasnt till later the collusion was discovered. They "deserved" the award based on what they had done for the District, holding District position, running multiple District events, but still, shilling for each other seems so "unscoutlike" but then again, I am always amazed at the few Silver Beaver Dinners I have attended. They always have a few. "Bob joined scouting as a child, has been active in scouting for 50 years, 15 as a Scoutmaster, 10 at the District level and 10 at the Council level. Bob has 4 children both daughter are Girl Scout Gold Award recipients and his sons are Eagle. Bob is an Elder at his church and in his spare time runs a Soup Kitchen in the poorest part of town. We happily award Bob with the Silver Beaver"

Then the next one goes

"Frank came to the Council 4 years ago and took control of the Camping program. although never s scout, he has poured his own money into the Camps and has lead Capital Campaigns to secure the funds needed to maintain a high level camping experience for our youth. We happily award the Silver Beaver to Frank"

Now, maybe Frank deserves the Silver Beaver, but so does Bob, about 30 years ago and every year since.

What would happen if such adult recognitions just went away and we concentrated on the boys?

A suggestion

When nominating someone for the district award of merit,I would not worry so much about what awards and when they were earned. That information can be found out later. If they truly are deserving, someone on the committee will know them and can help fill in the blanks or you could enlist the help of a spouse or someone in their unit. Sometimes you have to be creative in how you gather information

There are creative ways for getting the information you need. Get your District Training Coordinator to contact the person you want to nominate, and ask them for all training, awards, committees, etc. under the premise that they are updating the District records. Or have the DD or DE ask an entire group to submit their Scouting resumes, just like a Troop or Pack asks parents to fill out a skills/talent survey.

Or just come straight out and ask for it. Our District Commissioner sends out the following email:

"John Doe,

Without asking any questions, can you send me a synopsis of your Scouting experience; positions held, events you coordinated, previous Scouting awards. Also, can you list any other experiences in guiding youth such as religious or sports related programs?

Thanks for getting this to me and not asking any questions."

Could this approach build up expectations that might not pan out? Yes. If that happens, and the nominee finds out he has been nominated but not selected, hopefully he will feel honored that he was nominated.

If you are a district leader and you feel someone deserves an award, and the only reason s/he isn't getting it is due to lack of or a poor nomination, YOU owe it to them to get the problem resolved. A Scout helps other people at all times, including other leaders! If you see a wrong, don't just complain about it - correct it!

Silver Beavers are awarded from the districts (1 per 25 units), through the council selection committee. They can only work with the nominations they receive. If you feel strongly about a Scouter, nominate them and encourage others to do so as well, or write letters in support of the candidate. The council will take all of that information into consideration.

"What would happen if such adult recognitions just went away and we concentrated on the boys?"

We wouldn't get the opportunity to stand and applaud those leaders who are really making a difference in the lives of our youth. Hearing the information about the recipients, whether the DAM or SB, is always inspiring to me. I come away with new respect for the organization and those leaders, after hearing how much time and effort they have invested in this thing we call Scouting.

A good acquaintance of mine was nominated for and Received SB in Jan. He's one who doesn't toot his own horn. he's been SM for a long time. He tell good stories. The only way the people nominating him could get any information about past awards and recognitions was to send in a mole. They had one of the younger scouts walk up to him and said "Mr. C, I need some help with my Communication MB. I have to interview someone. Can I ask you a few questions? How long have you been in scouting? How long you been SM, bet you have some good stories? How about awards?"

When District announced he was going to receive the award, he originally had know idea how they found out so much about him, until he remembered the young scout asking him questions and being really interested in his tales of scouting. He thought it was quite ingenious using a 12 or 13 year old to run the interrogation.

"Silver Beavers for large sums of money!!! I thought that was what the James E. West Fellowship Award was for. Maaabe it's time to pull the crutches out from under some of those good old boys and give them the award they are actually deserving of and not water down the Silver Beaver. "

Uh, keep in mind that the Silver Beaver was created back in the 1930s, and the James West has only be around for, what, 10-15 years? (also, there are further level awards for higher amounts, like the Founder's Circle, etc).

I have heard that one of the reasons for the West award (and the others awards) was to give recognition for those who give financially to scouting, and cut down on the number of SB being given to such people.

While I don't mind the occasional SB being given to someone who have given long-term financial support to the council (and probably sits on the Council Exec Board), I would MUCH rather see it go to the long-time council-level volunteer (who in many cases is ALSO a unit-level volunteer as well).