Over the past few weeks I have given a lot of thought to what the Ship does and doesn't do.

Something along the lines of the 360 degree reflection. But less formal?

Of all the programs offered by the BSA Sea Scouting would seem to be the most ridged and in many ways because of where we do what we do requires the most disciplined. The uniforms for Ship's that opt to follow the Sea Scout manual are military uniforms. Drill is an elective for advancement.

I'm told that Sea Scouting makes up about 4% of Venturing and that there are about 7,000 Sea Scouts in 500 Ships in the USA.I don't know where the person who gave me them numbers got them or if they are accurate.

What we offer the youth who join is no where near as wide a range of activities as Boy Scouting offers.

The program is not for everyone, only people who like messing about in or on the water.

"Messing about in or on the water" does require all sorts of skills, safety equipment and discipline.

Youth aged 14 -21 are under going a lot of changes. At about this age or these ages they want to know "Why?"

They are at an age when they decide what activities they want to follow or not follow.

They want and demand fun and adventure.

We use this fun and adventure to train young people in citizenship, service, and leadership.

Along the way if we are doing a good job? We also Instill in young people lifetime values and develop in them ethical character as expressed in the Scout Oath and Law.

But if the fun and adventure isn't there. They either don't join or if they have joined they quit.

This doesn't seem like rocket science to me!!

Sometimes I can't help thinking we forget who we are working with and for and get so wrapped up in enforcing rules and regulations which while they might seem to make sense to us adults, make no sense to the people we are trying to serve and end up acting as road blocks or hurdles.

I'm at an age where some of the Scouts I had when I first became a Scouter now have sons in Troops. I'm very much aware that things have changed, times have changed. Kids are taught in a much different way than they were 25 years ago when I was trying to introduce them to the joys of English History.

Of course not all the changes are for the better!! But this isn't the fault of the youth -In fact maybe it's us older folk who are to blame?

After taking a long hard look at the Ship and asking myself some very tough questions, it dawned on me that we as a Ship need to kick it up a few notches. Make what we do more fun add more adventure offer more challenges.

Of course we will ensure that the skills are there, after all with out the skills they can't do much.Safety and discipline are right on the top of the list.

But silly rules?

No way!!

Ea.