Hi Scouts!,

My name is Roguedawg and I am new to this forum. I am not new to scouting though. I earned my Eagle Scout Rank back in 1986 in Troop 11 out of Waverly, NY in the 5 Rivers Council (old General Sullivan Council). I got into scouts back in 1975 with my mom being a den leader. Since then I went all the way up through Webalos, Scouts, Explorer Post, and as an adult leader. I like many of my other scouts got out of scouts due to a distraction of a woman.....which is natural. HUHM -- stay in scouts or get married? I took the marriage route for 10 years now. For everything there is a time and a season. So now that we have a son, we can both do the scouting stuff together like my dad and I did. I don't think my wife is up to being a den mother though.

Looking back on life, I can say that many leaders spend a lot of time and energy to grow up us men from little boys. So I thank all you you people for doing the same thing. And you do all of this for a "Thank you". Take care and God bless. RD

Hi Roguedawg. Sorry it's taken so long to welcome you to the Forum.

Things have changed a bit since you've been in Scouts. For instance, you may want to ask your wife if she'd like to be a den 'leader' rather than a den 'mother' - maybe it's the old title that's scaring her away.

In the meantime, share your scouting experience and we'll share ours.

CampCrafter,

My son Caleb is 5 right now. I am not sure what group he would fall into. I seem to remember Tiger Scouts being for pre-cub scouts age.

A leader? I got scoutmaster training back years ago. I was Ast. SM. under my dad and took over the troop as SM. for about 2 years. I went back to college and edged out of scouting. Then I met my wife. I am currently the Senior Commander of a Royal Ranger Outpost. Bascially RR is the same as Scouts, but it is a ministry through the Assemblies of God Church. I want Caleb to do both Scouts and Rangers. It is common for RR to earn thier GMA (Gold Metal of Achievement) right along with thier Eagle Scout Rank. So why not do both?

I have been checking out some local cub scout packs. To be honest with you, I was not impressed with the leaders. The four that I have talked with had foul mouths on them and were swearing right in front of the boys. They were also smoking and their uniforms were in terrible shape. I know that this is the exception, not the rule. So I am looking around at some other packs. I have to look up my old scouting buddies and see who they recommend to go to. I want to encourage Caleb to get into scouting, but I don't want to push him into it. Parents get themselves into trouble trying to live out their own childhood in their kids. Of course I would be very glad if he goes this route.

I wish we had forums like this when I was in my youth. Unless you got under someone elses leadership, it was a little hard to lead boys and other leaders. You have no idea how valuable this forum is. Rangerforums.com is also good. Some Scouters come to our campfire and chat. It is all good stuff. gwd-scouter is correct.

PM me. Who, what, where, when, why and how are you in scouts.

Thanks. RD