This is a thread about a growing concern in my troop, and that is of video game addiction.

I have a few Scouts that try to sneak to camp and to the troop meetings, their gameboy's and the like. There is a large number of Scouts, that that is all they seem to think about, and that's what they tend to discuss at meetings and on campouts.

I have searched the web for help as well as talking o parents, pastors and other Scouters.

I came across a book called "Playstation Nation", and it has been a great help in understanding this addiction that a number of Scouts (and a few Scouters) have.

In the book is an open letter to "Gamers", and I have obtained permission to post this letter here on the fourm.

Could you all print this letter out and read it to your Scouts?

It would be interesting to get some feedback about this problem (at least in my troop).

Thanks,

John

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AN OPEN LETTER TO THOSE WHO LOVE VIDEO GAMES

DEAR VIDEO GAME LOVER:

If you are reading or listening to this letter, it is probably because someone cares deeply about your happiness, health, and potential. Perhaps it is your mom, dad, a friend, or some other loved one. That person has discovered troubling information about video, Internet, and computer games and wants you to know how they can impact your life. We hope you will take these concerns seriously so that you can make wise decisions from this point forward.

You have probably heard that many video games contain violent, inappropriate, and dark themes. If you have played these games, you know what we mean. If you haven't played these games, good for you! Perhaps your parents have carefully monitored which games you have been allowed to play, protecting you from some pretty wretched stuff. Those who produce such games do not care about your well-being, happiness, or potential. They care only about selling as many games as possible, even if it means warping young minds.

Assuming you have managed to avoid such games, we want to explain an equally disturbing danger called video game addiction. A growing body of research shows that the brain reacts to video games similarly to the way it reacts to drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, and other forms of stimulation. Millions of people have become enslaved to these and other substances or behaviors for the same reasons kids and adults become addicted to video games. Let us briefly explain how this happens.

Playing video games triggers reactions in the human brain similar to those observed among animals seeking food or water. One scientist did an experiment with dogs, ringing a bell every time he served their food. After a while, ringing that bell caused them to salivate no matter the time--even if they were not hungry. The brain's habit continued because of something known as the law of reinforcement. Dogs associated the sound of the bell with food, making them crave it on cue.

Something similar occurs when we play video games regularly or for long periods. A chemical called dopamine begins flooding the brain after only about twenty minutes of video game play. This chemical is about the same as injecting an amphetamine into a person, creating a pleasurable "high" that makes the process addictive. Like the bell and the dogs, kids and adults alike easily become hooked on the feeling. That is why 20 to 25 percent of kids become addicted to video games.

We have interviewed a number of adults who became hooked on video games when they were younger and still struggle to overcome the addiction. They wish someone had read a letter like this to them before they became addicted. Maybe they could have avoided the many regrets-including thousands of hours of wasted time, years of diminished happiness, and countless squandered opportunities. Unfortunately, the research now available was not around when they were young.

You, on the other hand, have an opportunity to avoid making the same mistakes. We encourage you to start by asking those who know you best whether they think you spend too much time playing and talking about video games. Try not to be defensive. Listen with an open heart and mind, since they certainly want what is best for you.

Second, test yourself. Try putting all video, computer, and Internet games away for a month. If you find yourself repeatedly drawn back to them, wishing you could play, thinking and talking about them all the time, then you are probably already hooked, and it would be wise to get rid of them entirely. We encourage you to talk to your parents or someone you trust about helping you through the process. Like any other addiction, breaking this one will take courage and determination because it will involve a period of something called withdrawal-when you feel the emotional, physical, and social effects of stopping an addictive behavior. You may find yourself feeling depressed. That is because the "high" that came from playing games is no longer there. These feelings will pass, and you will eventually rediscover fun and joy apart from the games. Meanwhile, we encourage you to find several other activities you enjoy in order to distract yourself from the withdrawal symptoms.

Finally, replace the time you spend with video games with other, healthier recreational options. Develop a hobby, rent great movies, read good books, play board games, playa sport-you get the idea. There are a million ways you can spend your time. Believe it or not, people found plenty of fun things to do before video games were invented! The hard part, of course, will be that most if not all of your friends are heavily into these games, which could make you feel isolated or out of touch. If this is the case, you might want to read this same letter to your friends and invite them to explore new interests with you.

If you are unable to break the video game habit yourself, it might be necessary for your parents to make the decision for you. The former addicts I interviewed said that they wish their parents had done this for them, even though they would have been angry about it at the time. If your parents feel it necessary to make the tough call for you, please accept it with maturity and recognize they only want what is best for you.

One thing we can say for certain: if you are able to break the video game habit now, you will be glad in years to come that you did. We guarantee that you will be happier and more successful by investing your time and talents in the true and lasting things around you rather than letting what we call the digital drug enslave you.

Kurt and Olivia Bruner

Reprinted with permission from authors Kurt and Olivia Bruner, authors of Playstation Nation

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owl-

Thanks for the post and letter. I've scene the scenario a few times in the past with my troop. We've always had a policy of no electronic devices on campouts or at meetings. Last year, we had some of the kids bring their hand held games to play after the meetings, but when they got to the point of refusing to go home because they were playing a game, the parents put a quick stop to it. At times when I've caught a Scout with an electronic device, I've made him hand it over to me and I give it back to the parent the next time I see them. If the parent isn't the one picking up the Scout, then I keep it until the next meeting (amazing how that parent always shows up the next meeting). Fortunately, when I've confiscated a game, the message is very clear and they all refrain from bringing their games.

I don't like the video games for exactly the reason described in the letter. One thing we like to say is that we live video games instead of play them on a campout. There are a couple of parents in my troop that refuse to buy any kind of video games for their sons. They can play them at a friend's house or at an arcade, but not at home. Amazingly, these kids don't seem to be "missing out" by not owning a video game. Sometimes, parents just need to suck it up and stand up to their kids and say no.

When I was a youngster, my brother and I had a video game system. My parents monitored how much we were on it and if it looked like we were getting too hooked, they made us turn it off. During the summer, they would make us go outside and play instead of sitting in and playing the video games. Once I joined the Scouts, I didn't miss it at all because I was having too much fun going out and exploring with my Scout buddies.

I'm an avid gamer, but I also do alot of other stuff.

The trick is to not get obsessed with one thing. And believe me, scouts playing games after a meeting is alot better than these idiots in Korea who end up dying because of sleep deprivation.

Just don't go on the warpath and try to eliminate games completely, like some have tried in the past.

I've seen a LOT of scouts become addicted to these things, the complain when the games are removed from them or if they "have" to go away for a weekend campout. Heaven forbid that they have to give up their "My Precious" for a whole week at summer camp. It's like drug addicts going through withdraw.

I have a 15 year old son/Scout who enjoys gaming very much. He will play them when he can,..meaning when homework and chores are taken care of. This has not been easy to do as he is rather like most boys his age..meaning he would game as much as possible if left unchecked. Addicted? Possibly, but managing his gaming time in balance with other activities has paid off in better grades at school.

I'm sure you are asking how can managing time spent gaming result in better grades? Well, about 3 years ago, I instituted what I call "Game Point Average" in my home for my son and daughter. Its very simple..grade point average is linked to the amount of time the child earns to be allowed the PRIVELEDGE of getting to game in our home. We have never seen gaming as a right, only as a reward for doing what must be done in ones schooling and household duties.

How I broke it down was as follows; If the child has a GPA of 3.0, then they can enjoy 1.5 hours of gaming...4.0 GPA-2.0 hours of gaming. I dont allow any gaming if the GPA dips below 2.0, and this is hours per day. So my system has the GPA diveded by 2 equals time child can game. In our home all gaming takes place in the living room so my wife and I can supervise.

I personally dont game or see what the attraction is in it, bit nonetheless, gaming isnt going away and is enjoyed by most young people. I feel I have to do my part as a parent and Scouter to co-exist with this entity and try to manage it for the best. I feel parents need to take an active part in their childrens free time and set limits and manage their childs gaming. I feel all too often, some parents are so wrapped up in work or their own selfish interests and allow video,computer or portable gaming to be a surrogate baby sitter for their kids.

This can be very dangerous as the kid enjoys gaming and will do it for hours on end if left unchecked.

I have refered to gaming as "Electonic Cancer" in posts here on this forum and in dealings with my own children and Scouts and Scouters...I've seen a few get their dander up at this remark, but I am adamant in my view that left unchecked, all electronic gaming has the potential to be as addicting as any drug, perhaps more so as it is after all...legal. Your thoughts?

Thank you ust.

Chip and Pete, how do you feel about pack shakedowns before leaving on the trip. One of our 20 y/o ASM's has asked about the possibility of doing this before the parents leave the scout. Everyone one has seen the list of "WHAT NOT TO BRING" put out be the SM. This way any contrband can be given to the parents right up front when the kid is caught with the goods. (If caught with contraband on the trip, we pretty much are doing the same with holding the item until a parent is present.)

Or is this invasion of privacy? I'm all for it.

Also beware of the EARBUD. It is small like a hearing aid and can hold music downloads, and quite easily concealed.

Thank you ust.

Chip and Pete, how do you feel about pack shakedowns before leaving on the trip. One of our 20 y/o ASM's has asked about the possibility of doing this before the parents leave the scout. Everyone one has seen the list of "WHAT NOT TO BRING" put out be the SM. This way any contrband can be given to the parents right up front when the kid is caught with the goods. (If caught with contraband on the trip, we pretty much are doing the same with holding the item until a parent is present.)

Also beware of the EARBUD. It is small like a hearing aid and can hold music downloads, and quite easily concealed.

Thank you ust.

Does it mention anything about a certain Scouting forum addiction? A couple of years ago, Mrs. 1400 bought me a Gameboy Advanced to pass the time at work.(Work involves sometimes spending hours sitting idle, or worse, up to 20 hours in a hotel.) I have to admit, I like my SuperMario Bros., but I don't let it consume me. But I'm all for electronic device-free Scouting events. Outdoor skills should hold their attention. It's just a weekend, right?

I wouldn't like the idea of a shakedown. Although there are probably a ton of scouts that are sneaking video games with them, it would give the scouts another reason to complain about the troop.

But back to the topic, VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT BAD!! It's the addiction that is!!!

Like i said before, I play like them, but I also make sure not to get too caught up in games, or anything for that matter. Its all about balance, but you can't solely use video games as a scapegoat for everything that is wrong in scouting.

C-bold says "VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT BAD!! It's the addiction that is!!! "

But if a scout can't go a weekend without his video game, he's addicted. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

We recently went on a long weekend trip where we allowed video games. I was stunned at how many had them and kept their nose in them the entire trip. We drove through some beautiful countryside, and couldn't get them to take a minute to look out the window. One kid kept turning the volume up on his (he was sitting right behind the driver). We'd say turn it down, and he would... then over the next 30 minute he'd slowly turn it back up again...

Well, I see your point. I just get sick of people always trying to blame video games (not talkinb about people on this forum).

But why did you guys allow them to bring them? Of course there are going to be a few who would still bring them, but if they are so bad, talk to the SM about this.

Thanks for the responses.

It isn't just about bringing the games on Scout trips. It is about video gaming in general and how SOME (not ALL) Scouts and Scouters seem to be addicted. This "open letter" offers some insite as well as a place where you can direct either the Scouts or their parents for some help.

I was also wondering what kind of responses we would get IF this letter was read at a Troop meeting.

John(This message has been edited by ustbeeowl)