Chippewa29's topic about recruitment amazed me when he described the "Bells and whistles" of a rival troop. The troop had over a hundred scouts and more then 20 ASMs. I cant imagine a troop of that size.

So what is your troop size and adult leadership size? What do yur scoutmasters do specificly?

Out troop is about 35 boys with 3 assistant scoutmasters. one asm works with eagle cannidates, one deals with equipment and I work on leadership.

28 scouts

6 ASM

1 SM

3 patrols

2 - 8 member patrols

1 - 9 member patrol

1 - 3 member patrol (Honors Patrol) SPL - ASPL - TG

SM and 2 ASM are woodbadge trained

others are working on training now.

I am ASM in charge of Advancement and I am advisor for honors patrol and NBP. I am also doing the organizing for summer camp this year.

Another ASM does rechartering/popcorn sales etc. (paperwork junk)

2 others are new and in training

last two ASM do special events and merit badge scheduling.

45 boys

4 ASM (SM trained)

1 SM (WB trained)

10 - 15 active committee members.

2 ASM work with NSPs.

1 ASM works Life to Eagle.

1 ASM fills in where needed.

Committee members do all the other work like advancement, fundraising, outdoor program, high adventure, merit badges.

We do have two mega troops in the district like previously described. I'm amazed the level of effort just to attend a camporee. Like a military movement sometimes.

1 SM

2 ASMs

5 Committee Members - one Treasurer, one Chair, one Advancement Coordinator, and two that help with Boards of Review

12 Scouts:

2 signed up under Scoutreach that we haven't seen since sign up

1 close to to Eagle and age out

1 15-year old SPL/PL

7 12-14 years old VERY active Scouts

1 new crossover

What do the SM/ASMs do specifically? Well, for now I (SM) take care of the training, mentoring and conferences for the guys and our ASMs are in charge of the outdoor activities. Husband is working with our Eagle candidate, and our other ASM monitors the younger Scouts.

Obviously, we do not fit in with those troops that have multiple patrols and an abundance of leadership, but I thought it important to post how we with a very small troop are doing things.

(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)

About 35 boys, 5 patrols. One SM, 6 ASM, troop committee is unknown. We are the only troop for a few towns in either direction. This is a big troop by my experience. Troop of my youth had +/- 15 Scouts, 1 SM, 2 or 4 ASM, and was oldest troop in council (continuous charter since 1912, and still is!). Edited part: Us ASM's do whatever is needed. No particular assignmesnts yet.(This message has been edited by local1400)

About 45 scouts

5 "regular" patrols

1 NSP patrol

1 SPL/ASPLs patrol

Age-wise, most of our guys are 11-15 with one patrol of mostly high school juniors & seniors about to age out.

10-15 ASMs and 10-12 committee members

Some ASMs have specifics: 1 for new scouts, 5 patrol advisors, 1 "Doc Boo Boo," 1 adult QM, etc.. Several are floaters. Same on the committee side, some with portfolios, some who pinch hit.

My troop currently has about 20 Scouts, with about 16-18 adults either as ASM or committee.

Personally, I feel the ideal troop size is 4-5 patrols of 8-10 Scouts, with an adult ASM to act as patrol advisor for each patrol, plus an ASM for other assorted duties.

From what I've absored over the years, once you have 40 Scouts, you'll have a nice spread from new crossovers to those about to age out. From an adult perspective, you'll be able to fill all of your positions and have all the resources a troop twice the size has. From a balance of resources versus personal touch (something lost in large troops), that 40 or so Scouts seems to be just about right. Once the troop gets past that size, its hard for the SPL to control and thus it becomes more of an adult led situation.

From my perspective as SM, the last thing I would ever delegate to my ASM's would be the SM conferences. Also, I think its important to know all the kids and at least one of their parents. Once you get past 40 or so kids, that gets really hard.

From the patrol perspective, 4-5 patrols is a nice size so that there is room for competition, without one patrol dominating.

Obviously, troops can be very successful from different sizes. I've known Scouts that had great experiences in troops with 60, 80, 100 kids. They wouldn't have gotten that big if they didn't provide a good program. Also, there is a troop in my district where they limit themselves to 18 Scouts (two patrols of 8, plus SPL and ASPL). They believe in having a fairly small group and have a very good program.

On the other hand, I've gone into detail about the mega troop with 110+ Scouts. You always know when they are coming, because its like an army regiment pulling into camp (they have 4-5 good sized trailers to haul all their stuff). They produce a lot of Eagles, do tons of fun things, and have attracted some Scouters from other parts of the district because of the vast resources they have. From what I have heard, they have three ASPL that each are in charge of 3 or 4 patrols (in effect, each running his own troop), while the SPL just acts as the liason between the PLC and the troop committee.

The downside to this troop is they lose 30-40 kids a year. Also, the kids can be active for a couple of years and not know some of the other kids that are also active. A Scout doesn't get a SM conference with the SM until he goes for his First Class or Star.

In reality, you can have a great program with many different sizes. It just depends on what you want.

16 Scouts

7 16-18 y/o 3 semi-active aging out this year as Eagles, 2 very

active, 2 non-active.

3 14-15 y/o 2 real active

2 12-13 y/o 1 very active and 1 semi-active.

4 Cossovers

1 SM (new)

8 ASM, 6 of us Eagle's (only one over 21, me at 47)

1 ASM works with the NSP

1 handles the website

1 as laison to Council and guiding/training the new ASM's.

Guess who?

2 in College

3 trying to get through thier Senior year but are present and

help at meetings

1 SM

15 Comm. Members

CC is former ASM, SM and works with the Life to Eagles.

1 for Popcorn

1 Advancement

1 Outdours

1 Treasurer

The other 10 step forward when needed.

We have the following:

- 76 boys registered.

- 6 existing patrols

- SPL

- four ASPLs

- 1 NSP

- 1 SM

- deals with Scoutmaster Conferences and acts as lead scoutmaster.

- 6 ASMs

- 1 mentoring NSP

- 2 mentoring two Trails to First Class patrols (semi-formal program)

- 2 mentoring two Trails to Eagle patrols (no formal program)

- 1 Eagle coach

- Each ASM leads two events.

- All are trained in all basic BSA training, except for WB.

- Four are BSA lifeguards

- 4-8 merit badge counselors

- Committee

- 1 Committee Chair

- 1 Secretary

- 1 Treasurer

- 1 Advancement Chair

- 1 Activities Chair (permission forms, tour permits, etc.)

- 1 Fundraiser Chair

- 1 Health and Safety Chair (responsible for all health forms, etc)

- 6-10 Committee members (number varies)

1Hour

Nephew's Troop has 1 SM, 2 ASMs, 1 CC and 2-4 MCs. Their full "chartered version" youth roster is 7 members (after the tragic death of one 2 weeks ago). Of this number, only 4 regularly participate (and one of those is moving at the end of the school year), 1 ages out this summer and 2 come when/if they feel like it.

YiS

Michelle

24 Scouts

1 SM (me!)

4 ASM

3 asm's work with patrols

1 handles summer camp and floats

SM works with PLC and Life to Eagle

1 Venture Patrol

3 Regular Patrols

15 Committee Members

3 15/16yr olds ( 2 Life )

The rest 11-14

50 Scouts (adding 15 more at crossover in one week)

Currently six patrols, going to be eight patrols

Plus the leader patrol "The Buffalo's"

SM website, camp reservations, fundraisers,

facilitate Green Bar, guide and advise scouts as asked by

scouts

9 ASM's - guide and advise scouts as asked by scouts

7 with specific cuties, about 12 overall

Chair, E-COH, meeting agenda's, BOR, charter

Treasurer acct and troop credit program

Transportation makes sure we have seats for trips and

recurits drivers as needed

Advancement - troop tracker, COH

Training and Records - maintains the Blue Book

The Blue Book is all med forms and swim test records

and scouter training records

Secretary - cmte minutes, newsletter, tour permits, P Slips

Quartermaster - Help troop QM maintain and secure euip.

As SM I keep the website up to date, make all camp site reservations, provide maps to destinations, facilitate Green Bar for monthly troop meeting and outing agendas, attend committee meetings, attend troop meetings and generally be as invisible as possible plus the usual.....

All of the above supports my 16 year old SPL and 2 ASPL's that truly run 90% of the show. I'm going to squeeze that last 10% out of them if it kills me :-)

YIS,

John