Boy Scout Resident Camp

In the By the Book Troop, the Boys of the Troop decide which summer camp they will go too. Having said that, if the Troop in question is from, say Orlando, Florida and they have had enough of say Mickey Mouse and want to attend summer camp up in Alaska, well then the Troop Committee and Scoutmaster may have something to say about it.

Can you give details about the situation, I feel there is more...

As OGE said...the "book version" is that the PLC develops their plan (for any activity) and presents it to the Troop Committee. The Committee should support their plan as much as possible. As the SM's prinicpal job is to guide and mentor the SPL, all details should be identified and worked out (e.g., transportation, fund raising, etc), and included in the plan.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Dear OGE,

WE have one parent on the Troop Committee that insists we go to the same camp every year (Is it because the parent has a son working as staff at that camp?). The Troop planning Conference last August presented their plans for the coming year to the TC and was given the OK with their plans. The parent is pushing "that same camp" to the Scouts as provisional campers when the "PLC" has been given the OK with their plans to go as a Troop to another camp. What would you do?

It appears the Troop is going to the Camp the boy decided to go as a troop. Any scout or parent can talk up going elsewhere as a provisional camper, I see that as free speech. Is there a thought the number of provsional campers will take away from the troop camp experience? I dont see a problem, yet...

As long as the boy go where they planned, its good