My thoughts are be VERY careful before you remove them. Some may be like my dad was. He is on troop's charter as committee member, because he still cares about troop. He was SM of the troop many (50+) years ago, is a member of the chartering organization (a civic club) and occassionally shows up for things. For a number of years, he didn't participate much, for various reasons. Previous SM's didn't actively pursue "publicity" for the trip, so often my dad and other MC's or members of the CO didn't get asked to participate or assist. Current SM is actively pursuing "publicity" and participation for the Scouts and so makes a point of asking for involvement and assistance. He also feels like he can approach CO as a whole or individual CM's for assistance when he needs it. So who knows what knowledge, skills and real concern for the troop you may cut out if you just drop the "hanger on's". Where would the current SM of this troop be if the previous SM had just decided to cut all the "hanger on's"?

By the way, my dad is 83 and really wants to continue to promote Scouting and will probably continue to be involved in one way or another, the rest of his life.

As can be seen here, dropping a Scouter is a two-edged sword.

It's worth the time and energy of the CC to check in with them, annually.

There should also be a point (my opinion) where a Scouter no longer draws on the resources of the Troop. We shouldn't be putting the economic burden of the unit on the backs of the current Scouts and parents. To me, fair and equitable says "if you're an economic Scouter of Troop NNN, we ask you fund your registration and $20 for support of the current program."

Again, my thoughts only.

My opinion, let them stay registered, as long as they are paying their dues. I like the idea of asking them to donate to the FOS program as well. Lisa brings up a good point about listing them on the roster - how about listing them as "emeritus" members? The Scouter Reserve position that Ed brings up is worth looking into as well, though you might want to check with the Council to see if they allow that position.

One thing that does trouble me is the use of "ancient troop accounts" to pay for their registration. I've never been a big fan of "troop accounts" and this is one of the reasons why. Though you give no details as to how your troop account program runs, hopefully, it was only available to the youths. If it was a troop account that they paid into (like a troop savings account for activities), then a check for the balance should have been written to them on their 18th birthday. If it was a troop account that was funded through time given to fundraising efforts, then the unused balance should have rolled into the Troops general account (use it or lose it). I might make an exception if the lad is active in the OA or Venturing (or the Troop as an ACTIVE ASM) until he is 21, or maybe for a lad that has gone off to college, until undergrad graduation - but those would be about the only exceptions I'd make. If it was a mixed account (fundraising and paid into) I would determine how much was paid in, how much was entered in as fundraising credits, how much was paid out (all as a total over the life of the account) and only write a refund check if the total amount paid in (not fundraised in) was higher than the total amount spent, and then only for the difference between what was paid in and what was paid out. All monies "earned" from fundraising rolls into the Troop's general account.

Calico

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to re-registering adults, there are a few issues.

1. If an ASM doesn't have regularly position duties, then they should not be registered as an ASM. If they just want to be registered, then they should be a committee member. Some of our committee members have regular duties (chair, secretary, treasurer, etc.) and most of the others help out on an as needed basis. Most of our registered committee members help out with some type of support role during the year.

2. People who have been active in troop in the past should be able to stay registered providing they are either a positive or a neutral. The previous SM in our troop stayed registered for a couple of years after I took over. He would show up once every two or three months and basically stab me in the back. After causing trouble, we wouldn't see him again for a couple of months until he'd show up again for one troop meeting and proceed to tell the other adults everything I was doing wrong. Fortunately, I finally got him to stop showing up at all and things improved quite a bit.

On the other hand, years ago we had a former SM that wanted to stay registered. He would come to a few troop meetings a year and maybe help out with one outing a year. He got along with everyone and was great to have around. At one point close to rechartering, during a committee meeting, he tooks sides in a huge debate and was on the "losing" side of that debate. A few weeks later, the head of the "winning" side called him and said his presence was no longer wanted or needed.

3. Some people want to pad their resumes. Back in the late 80's, we had a local police officer who was friends with a parent in the troop and wanted to be a committee member. He paid for his registration, yet never showed up for anything. In fact, he signed his application at home and gave it to his buddy to take to the troop meeting. About a year later, guess who was running for the local Township Board of Trustees? On his campaign flyer, he listed several organizations with whom he was currently active, including the Boy Scouts. After about five years, we had a new committee chair that recognized the name, questioned why he was still registered if he didn't ever show up, and promptly removed him from the roster at recharter.

There should always be a good reason why the person is registered. If they aren't currently active, then they should at least make themselves available for an advisory role. What old time Scouter doesn't like to give his/her opinion?

That answer at least is fairly simple: If a Scouter is not active enough to be well-known by the SM/CC/COR and have a current set of tasks... or if a Scouter is not well known enough to be "ASM without portfolio", THEN... shift their registrations to the Committee side.

That way, the SM can simply tell them "Please sir, leave my program area."