I am a 46 year old "solo" scoutmaster. I became an assistant scoutmaster right after tech college, at age nineteen, when I moved back to my home town. At 21 years and two months old, the committee appointed me as the scoutmaster (in 1981). I have been the scoutmaster of the troop ever since. I am still single, and never been married.

Just be sure to follow the BSA rules, and always be sure to have at least two deep leadership. I have canceled several events over the years when we have not had enough leadership.

I have never had a problem with being a single scoutmaster, and as far as I know, neither have the parents. I enjoy my time with the Scouts. I always tell people that I don't have any kids of my own, but if I want a few over I just make a few phone calls. When I am tired of them, I send them back to their parents. lol

I think spending time with the boys in Scouting has definately get me younger and has given me the opportunity to give back to Scouting and the community.

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html

I am single-single(i.e. never married) and have been involved with Scouting at the adult level for 30 years, 2 as ASM-28 as SM. I am an Eagle and a Vigil. I've never had anybody say a word to me in regards to my marital status and scouting. In some ways it is easier to participate because you are single and in other ways it's harder.

I'm a 27 year old single Scouter. I was involved in the OA through college then became an ASM after I graduated. A year and 8 months later became the District Boy Scout Training Chair. A year and a half after that, I became the District Training Chair. I've resigned the ASM role and stayed on their Troop Committee. I'm also a committee adviser for the OA. I'm involved to give back.

I haven't had any issues due to my single status. I think single people and people involved without a kid involved are more likely to be targeted for District and Council Positions. I've never avoided any events due to my status. I have not gone to campouts several times due to church and other social events. Single Scouters are also targeted sometimes to help with new troops as well. I'd say that they serve for longer periods in Scouting as whole and in some cases, in one position a lot longer.

I am very happily married with a supportive wife and no children. It's all about giving back and helping to teach tomorrows Scout leaders. My wife is very proud that I want to serve as an ASM. I had 4 SMs growing up-1 married with grown Eagle Scout, 1 single former Scout, 1 married with infants former Scout, and 1 father of Scout. We had a single ASM whose father was SM in the 60's. All good men willing to serve. For my troop's 75th anniversary in 1987 we got to meet the first SM of the troop who was a 18 y/o college student in town in 1912. He was single then. Oops I had his age as 21 but I remembered he said 18 and I checked his obituary (saved it-I don't know why). Local.(This message has been edited by local1400)

Many scouters joined (and stayed involved in) scouting for different reasons.

Like many, I joined as a youth and stayed on as an adult. Like some of them, I'm single with no kids.

I know of some who didn't join until their son(s) got involved. Some left when their kids did (had one guy at WB tell me he planned on doing this), while others have stayed on after they aged out (and in many cases their son(s) stayed involved as adult leaders themselves).

I know of some who, like me, stayed on as adults after aging out. I know of some who came back as an adult leader after aging out. Now married and with kids, they are still involved.

The man who preceded me as SM was single when he became the SM and had never been a Scout. He had just moved back to our community after serving a hitch as an Army officer. He was a last minute, desperate, invitee to provide leadership on a High Adventure trip after another adult had had to drop. he had a great time and stayed on as an ASM for a year and then became SM for 32 years. During this time, he married and had a son (Eagle Scout). Finally stepped down for health reasons.

On the surface he would not have been a logical choice for the job, but you never know what you are getting with a new volunteer. Be vigilant, but don't reject anyone out of hand.