choosing a troop/recruiting thoughts

I decided to spin off so as to avoid hijacking gwd's thread. We've been talking about smaller/larger troops and recruiting issues. Well two years ago when my son was crossing over we decided not to join the smaller troop in our town. Instead my son chose the largest troop (30-45 members most of the time). Looking back, I can identify some reasons for his choice and my agreement that held up to the light of day, and some that did not hold up so well. Although my son has found his place and is mostly happy in his troop now, I think he might have been better served in his first year or so, had he joined the smaller troop instead. So I've thought a lot over the last couple of years about how and why we made our decisions. Here's what I came up with, FWIW. Sorry it is rather long - but then I've had two years to think it over!

1. Among the boys, a sort of "herd mentality" took place. Each wanted to stay with his friends from the den and pack and so it was a collective choice. In the long term, not such a great way to choose a troop - of the 12 boys from our pack (two dens), today only 3 are still in scouts at all. Who knows if these boys would've stayed, had they joined the smaller troop? But picking a troop based on current friendships is no guarantee either.

2. One not-great activity plays a stronger role in making a decision than several good interactions. We visited two troops in several settings (meetings, camping, activities, etc.). The smaller troop was very kind and most interactions were fine, but they held one lock-in just before cross over that was just not so hot (poor facilities and not a lot of interaction between their boys and ours). It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what the boys had expected. That's what the boys in our den seemed to remember, unfortunately.

3. The larger troop had a schedule of activities planned that was jam-packed and included some pretty ambitious trips and events (like going to Yellowstone). The smaller troop had a full schedule too but it wasn't as flashy. I think this had more influence on the parents than on the boys, to be honest, and wasn't the best way to judge the troops. One thing I've since noted - the small troop participates in our council-wide programs and high adventure options pretty regularly, while the large troop we joined rarely does, preferring to go it alone.

4. The larger troop came across as highly organized. The smaller troop wasn't disorganized, but it was less formal in terms of organizational structure. Tired parents and cub leaders (including me) liked the aura of organization in the large troop.

5. The smaller troop's CO is viewed by some as a drawback - it is a very conservative Catholic Church and the priest is somewhat controversial, locally. The troop's main relationship with a pack comes from the private school associated with the church too, so there's a perception by some that maybe church leadership have a lot of influence. Truth is, the CO is like many others, not very involved beyond signing paperwork a couple times each year. This isn't something that bothered me but I know it bothered some other people. Unfortunately it isn't something the troop leadership ever addressed (although it might have been a difficult thing to put words to).

I had gotten to know the SM and ASM of the smaller troop through Wood Badge and they are really wonderful people. They had mentioned at various points that they were trying to expand their recruitment efforts and make connections to other local packs. At the same time I was trying to help our pack make connections to other troops in the area, which had fallen apart at some point in the 5 years or so prior to our joining scouting. It seemed like a good match of goals and so for about a year we worked together at establishing links between our pack and their troop. At the end of the day, when none of our boys joined them, I admit I was disappointed. So were they, I think! I don't know if they ever saw it as a sort of "pay off?" But I do know that since then, they have done nothing to reach out to either that pack or (as far as I can tell) other packs in the area. While I guess I understand that, it also frustrates me. They didn't get any boys from our den but that was the first year that they'd had any contact with our pack, too. If they'd kept up with the other rising den leaders and/or the CM, perhaps the following year they would've had a better outcome.

In fairness, the pack's den leaders after I left really didn't reach out much either - they waited for troops to come to them, and only the larger troop did that. So it seems that both the pack and the troop are back where they started: no longer-lasting ties were forged and neither benefited from building a new recruiting relationship. The next pack leader who comes along and wants to offer more choices to the boys than just the one troop will have to re-invent the wheel (as I feel I did) by going out and finding the other troops in the area and aggressively trying to establish contacts among strangers. Same is true from the troop end, instead of regular contact now it will be a major undertaking to make a connection to the pack since turn over among adults in packs tends to be high and if you aren't in contact regularly, you may quickly discover that no one you know is still there. That's a lot of work! I do wish both sides - pack and small troop - would've thought more about this from a longer-term strategic perspective when the opportunity was there. However I think the onus is more on the troop since "institutional memory" tends to be longer and more stable there, than in most packs. Maybe that's a convenient dodge on my part though.

I was not involved in cub scouts at all. My son joined cubs as a webs 1. When it came time to cross over, we just went with the crowd, didn't even check out other troops. Our local troop folded the year before we crossed. Most in our area went to a troop 20 miles away. We followed. I didn't realize you were supposed to visit many troops and choose the one that best fits your needs. I guess we were lucky, my son likes the troop he is in. We are a heavily LDS area and at least half of the troops are LDS and don't recruit. The other non-LDS troops don't do district activities so I rarely get to interact with their leaders. Our troop seems to be the only one in the area that is actively recruiting. We are getting cubs from 4 different packs and its getting out of hand. I guess that's how giant troops are born. If I only knew what I know now, I would have visited every troop in town before crossing over the one were are in.

I wrote in my other thread that when I was a Webelos Den Leader, I just figured we naturally would crossover to the Troop that met at the same place we did. I had a good relationship with the Scoutmaster there, thought a lot of him (and he of me), and at the time really didn't know anything about any other troops in the District.

As Webelos Den Leader I crossed over 8 boys to that Troop. After two years, only one - my son - remained, and he was ready to quit too.

He joined a smaller troop in town, didn't know anyone in the troop, but boy did he thrive!

Since those early days I've learned a lot about Troops and Packs and have always thought that our District needed someone to be a Webelos to Scout Transition Coordinator. You know, someone that could go to the Troops and Packs and talk to them about recruiting.

Maybe that's a good job for me in a few years when I step down as SM. I would really like to see some real involvement from the troops in opening their doors to the Webelos. Most of our Troops just sit back and wait for their "feeder" packs to send Scouts to them.

It was quite a shock to the aforementioned Troop that "their" Webelos Den came to visit us. I think they may be realizing that they need to do more than just sit back. They need to welcome those Webelos on a campout or two, they need to help with their Pinewood Derbies, they need to help with providing Den Chiefs.

Our little troop has done and is doing all those things and will still probably not get any recruits this year. But as many of you have suggested - we're getting our name out there, eventually (hopefully) they will come.

I'm a Webelos II leader, and we started visiting troops in October. (Next time I'm a Webelos II leader, I plan to start earlier).

What is interesting is the troop most of the boys chose. I was planning to visit three troops as a den, but I got an email from a scoutmaster in September. He had seen the recruiting table our pack had at our school's open house (We're chartered through the PTO) and grabbed our information and email address. As a last minute addition to our troop visits, we added his troop as well. Had he not emailed me, we would have never visited his troop. 5 of my 10 Webelos are planning to join that troop. Amazing what even a single email will do. This troop has about 12 registered boys - so it's going to have a bit of growth.

I did not visit this troop as by the time that visit came around, my wife and I had looked at our church's troop and my son liked what he saw. We also hope that he will get to know more boys at the church (We've been members at this church for just over a year). The troop seems to be quite active and they look like they have a good program in place. The scoutmaster also spent some time with me explaining his vision for the troop.

We'll see if we made the right decision in a year - I hope we did, but if my son is not happy, we'll find a new troop for him - probably the smaller one that most of the other boys in the den joined.

I think another thing (and maybe one of the most important) that encourages the boys to continue to boy scouts is a strong cub scout program. If the boys are excited and like going to scouts when they're younger, they'll most likely continue on.

Tom

[edited for spelling](This message has been edited by tcherven)

Tom, I hope your son and the other boys in the den do like the troops they chose. It may take a little time to adjust though and hopefully everyone (boys especially) understands that.

I only have one son so I've gone through this whole process just one time. But my impression is that a good cub program CAN be, but isn't necessarily, an indicator of whether boys will like boy scouting. I've seen several who loved cubs but who stumbled after joining boy scouts and never found their place. Or to be more accurate, who didn't stick with it long enough to find their place in the troop. The leap between pack and troop is a big one and some boys aren't really ready for the independence, the responsibility, and the interaction with older (sometimes a little rougher) boys, without the adults there to mediate as much as may occur in cub scouting. Some boys will hang in there and take the time needed to make the adjustment (generally, because their parents are encouraging them to do so, in my experience). Some won't do this and will quit. We can try to mentally prepare the boys and their parents for this while they're still in cubs, but it also depends a lot on them, their maturity, and their desire (parents too) to persevere.

And I think the latter depends a lot on the degree to which the kids and parents are already over-scheduled. If mom and dad are constantly ferrying kids around to a hundred different activities already then they may be a little relieved when their son finds boy scouts to be a bit tougher going and voices thoughts about quitting. I know a lot of parents who told me that in sort of guilt-ridden tones.

I don't mean any of the above as an apology for packs running a lousy cub program or troops running a lousy new scout program - they have to uphold their end of the deal too and hopefully you've found a troop that understands that. I just think that the success of the cub program is an imperfect indicator of success in boy scouting because the two are so different - far more different, in fact, than I thought they would be when I was a Webelos leader and cub parent.

One thing's for sure. Having done this one time through, I would definitely change a few things about how we ran our webelos program if I were to do it again. Too bad my only son was also my guinea pig! Still he seems to have survived with no lasting damage...I think....

I always like reading your answers - they are very well thought out, and you always have a lot of good information.

I guess what I meant when I mentioned a good Cub program, is that boys in a good Cub program are probably more willing to try Boy Scouts. Whether or not they stay is another matter.

Of the 10 registered boys in my den, I have 9 that have said they are going to continue. The 10th boy was brand new this year, and we didn't see him a whole lot, unfortunately. I've given his parents several options, but I don't know what they're going to do. I haven't heard back from them yet.

My older son was the guinea pig - my younger son can become a tiger this spring - and he's ready. He wants to know when we're going to summer camp.

I also hope that everyone is happy with their troops. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

My son just crossed over 2 weeks ago.

He visited a couple of troops, I went with him. I also asked the adults and older boys of the troop at our church, but that troop said they combined the 2 patrols into one and was mainly adult led. When I told my son of my findings, he decided he didn't want to be in a Webelos III den.

He joined the newer, less flashy troop, fairly boy led, the committe is open to suggestions. I joined as ASM working with the PLC to improve boy leadership and planning.

My son basically said he felt more welcome in this troop, sometimes the boy just knows what he wants.

The leap between pack and troop is a big one and some boys aren't really ready for the independence, the responsibility, and the interaction with older (sometimes a little rougher) boys, without the adults there to mediate as much as may occur in cub scouting. Some boys will hang in there and take the time needed to make the adjustment (generally, because their parents are encouraging them to do so, in my experience). Some won't do this and will quit.

Yah, this is very insightful.

I'd add to it that the leap between pack and troop is a big one for the parents as well. That affects kids a lot as they are tryin' to find their place.

Anyone remember Lisa'bobs postings, questions, and critiques for the first 6 months to a year after her son crossed over? ;) Adjustment can be as tough on mom & dad as it is for the kids.

You know what Beavah, you're right and I've been thinking a lot about that as I've been working on material for our upcoming new scout/new parent orientation later this week.

Truth is, it was a big adjustment for me and for my son. And many of the things that I found problematic about the troop were either well-masked when we visited as webelos, or were things that (looking back) I wished I had known to ask about, but I didn't. In the last two years since my son joined we both have changed our views on many things as we have learned more from, and about, the troop program. On the other hand, the troop has changed a lot since we joined too, and I think it is a stronger troop today as a result.

When my son joined, there were NO boys a year older than him (they had all quit in their first year), only ONE boy two years older, and only three boys who were three years older. Most boys in the troop at the time were 15-17 years old. Today, the troop is roughly evenly split between those 14+ and those 11-13. This troop has always been known for its older-boy program and high adventure opportunities; these days it is becoming known for the program it provides younger scouts too, without sacrificing the older-boy program.

When he joined, the troop did almost nothing to prepare the new scouts for their first campout just days after cross-over - in early March in Michigan with temps in the single digits and boys with little to no experience and the wrong gear. Several boys quit immediately following that first campout. Others, including my son, swore they'd never camp in the snow again (tough, in Michigan!). Last year the troop pushed back its March campout to the end of the month in order to have time to teach at least some skill to the new scouts first. This year, the March camp out is a "Cross-over" theme as well. By the way my son is due home this afternoon from his first serious winter camp since then - better equipped and trained this time, for sure. Here's hoping he had fun.

When we joined, the adults already in the troop - generally speaking, great people, mind you - tended toward the clique-ish. They didn't share information with new parents and asking a question tended to result in the run-around (ask so-and-so, no ask so-and-so). The SM was impossible to pin down, tended to be rather brusque, and didn't share enough information with the CC to make it easy to get answers even from him. Today we have an ASM for new scouts and a committee position for transition-related issues and new parents are encouraged to get to know those folks real well (in addition to the SM and CC of course!). The SM, I believe, is also better at sharing information.

When we joined, there had recently been a transition away from a former SM who did not believe in talking to the adults - if the boys didn't know it, it wouldn't happen. Apparently he also didn't believe in sharing info with the younger scouts either so they were at the mercy of the older scouts. However, with almost no young scouts in the troop in the preceding years, the older scouts were not in the practice of looking out for the young guys. Result: new parents and new scouts both were at a loss for information. This year will be the second year that we run a troop-wide orientation night for scouts and parents and it seems to be effective.

For the first several months after my son joined, troop meetings frequently included lengthy doses of playing "duck, duck, goose" and/or being physically flung around (in fun until it wasn't) by certain older boys. This has changed.

In the first year after he crossed over, only one boy made it to tenderfoot rank because skills simply weren't being taught and/or people "didn't have time" to sit with a scout while he demonstrated his ability and then to sign his book. I don't know that I buy into "1st Cl/1st year" but this was problematic in the other extreme. Today, New Scout Patrols now have a troop guide and a patrol advisor assigned to them, in part to ensure that there's someone available to work with them on advancement when they're ready to do so.

From my son's cohort, more than half of the scouts dropped out in the first 14 months or so - most either right away or about 8 months in, in early fall after school/scouts started up again. Not surprising, given some of the above and other experiences that I posted about at the time. I'm very pleased that my son wasn't one of these. As I've said elsewhere, he has found his place in the troop these days and is pretty happy. But there were numerous times in that first year when it was a close thing.

>>The leap between pack and troop is a big one and some boys aren't really ready for the independence, the responsibility, and the interaction with older (sometimes a little rougher) boys, without the adults there to mediate as much as may occur in cub scouting. Some boys will hang in there and take the time needed to make the adjustment (generally, because their parents are encouraging them to do so, in my experience). Some won't do this and will quit.

There is an art to recruiting and retaining -- one that I have not come close to mastering. Here are my stories . . . and the solutions that I have employed thus far. (Please feel free to tell me where we went wrong.)

I took over one of the area's oldest and largest Cub Scout packs a few years ago. It was a last-minute thing, sort of. At the time, we had roughly 60 registered boys and 10-15 registered leaders. Everything was moving along smoothly, until one of the dean leaders questioned the advancement chair over 'Leave No Trace.' Long story short: I backed the advancement chair's decision that the awards would not be requisitioned in anticipation of completion (not that I had the official muscle, but I voiced my support to the complaining den leader, which was enough for her) and our pack split. We lost two large dens and several trained leaders to another pack in our area -- the other large pack. ...Fast forward to School Night for Scouting... This 'other' pack is okay. They aren't the most organized in the world and we rarely see their Scouts at district events, nor do we see their leaders. But boys do advance there, and retention is fine, so I don't have any major complaints. Anyway, three packs recruit at the same SNFS: us, the other large pack and a small mostly Spanish-speaking unit. Typically, we would grab 25-30 new recruits on this night. But my first year (and also the other CM's first year), they ended up with 40-something new boys, compared to our 15. Looking back, I think the main reason we got 15 is because they got tired of standing in line at the other pack! All of a sudden, our pack of 60 had gone down to 35-40 -- AFTER SNFS. And new leaders were hard to come by that year!

In year #2 of my tenure, we set up a Pinewood Derby track, bought give-away trinkets for the boys, offered free Boys Life to all new recruits, and had numerous leaders there in uniform available to answer questions. On top of all this, I was on the SNFS committee and made certain that some of our people were involved in Boy Talks. Despite all of this, we went home with 17 new scouts to their 40-50. The spanish-speaking pack ended up with 1-2.

After some deep thought and Q&A with some other experienced leaders, it hit me like a train -- the other pack had face recognition!

Although their cubmaster was not the most outgoing person in the world. . . And despite their lack of overall organization (and funds) compared to us, she (the CM) had been president of the school's PTA for several previous years. She was always team mom in baseball and soccer. She was basically out there. While many of her new recruits did not know her, they were comfortably 'familiar' with her because they had seen her on campus so many times.

I must admit that, while I want boys to be in Scouts, I would prefer that they be in my unit. I feel like we have better organization, a superior program to most, and trained leadership. We are about Scouting, and not necessarily a social club for parents. We are willing to split the pack when it comes to the issue of integrity, and we are darned certain that our Arrow of Light recipients know how to tie a square knot! --- But that is not enough for many neophyte parents.

This year, we enlisted the help of our COR for boy talks -- a youth pastor -- who knows how to communicate with kids. As it goes, he is at the school on a regular basis eating lunch with his son. And mom is a PTA officer. On that campus, we were back to 20 recruits (the other pack still did about 40). But we also began recruiting on two more campuses, where we signed up 15 new Scouts. Retention is another issue. . . Our district is well below the national average and our pack is right in line with district. At the unit level, we basically require Boys Life (its built in with the cost), maintain a web site, put out newsletters and remain in contact with Scouts and their parents. Not to mention, we are always fine-tuning our program.

On the Boy Scout level, my son crossed over into the troop that I grew up in, and have served as a volunteer for the past 6 years, or so. It's small (4-6 active boys on average) and has been on the verge of 'folding' every time recharter comes up.

Strangely, we have among the best facilties (and most money) in town. We have camped every month for as long as I can remember. We put out more than our fair share of Eagles (which can be a problem for a unit our size). We have experienced leaders. But. . . we haven't had more than a dozen Scouts in at least 10 years.

The only major mistake that I've seen is that we have not developed relationships with Cub Scout packs. We had a relationship with my pack, but it was in a different school district, and most of our crossovers remained with their school buddies. So, over the past year, we have made it a point to have Webelos activities with nearby packs. We have told parents that there are several good troops but that ours is a 'ground-floor' opportunity for boys to become long-time leaders and it is also their opportunity to shape a unit, opposed to joining a super-troop, where they may become lost in the crowd. So far, we've recruited 2-3 new boys as a result of this type of pitch.

Also, the face-recognition thing has helped us, I believe. I am entering my 3rd year as the district's daycamp director. Our troop -- albeit only 4-5 boys -- also serves on every Mom & Me/Dad & Lad staff. Of course, we have 2-3 leaders at every Roundtable these days.

I think that both our Cub Scout and Boy Scout solutions will pay off. I would like to see our pack remain at about 50 boys, such as it historically has. The Boy Scout troop should be at 24 boys maximum (our Scout Hut has 3 patrol rooms and a main room), including a leadership patrol). I have voiced these numbers as our goals and the other leaders seem to agree.

My two cents. . . for what they're worth

This is a topic near and dear to me. I've been on the good side and bad side of this crossover process. Let me first say I agree with many of the comments, especially those about educating the parents being one of the keys to success.

Our history - we started a new troop 4 years ago with seven crossovers and two boys who had previously crossed over and dropped out of other troops. We decided to do the "group thing" and all go together in order to start the troop. The good news is that 7 of these 9 scouts are still active in scouting. The two that are completely out should probably have never been scouts. They just aren't into the outdoor program. One made it through a year, the other suffered all the way to Life! But when girls and other things started vying for time, he dropped out.

Only 4 of the remaining 7 are still with us. One went to another troop that had more adult structure (advancement mill). He simply wasn't advancing on his own, and had behavior issues in regards to taking directions from peers. The other two are brothers and left to go to the troop that they really wanted to go to in the first place.

My point is that it's best for boys to end up where they fit, not just go with the crowd. When a whole den comes in, I know I'll probably lose some just because we aren't a good fit. I'd rather him pick up and go to another troop than drop out of scouts altogether.

Years 2 and 3 of the troop couldn't have gone much better than they did. 6 and 8 scouts respectively. Almost every scout from the dens crossed over. Several leaders came into the troop as well. The boys are a close-knit group. 10 of these guys are still in. One moved away. Most are still active and close.

Last year (year 4) was a disaster. An insane, disillusioned former leader did his best to mess things up. He got in with the Webelos 2 leader and told them all kinds of lies about the troop, about me, other adults, etc. Consequently, only 1 of the 10 came to our troop. That boy has since dropped out, because he struggled to get a foothold by himself, and because his parents made him choose between scouts and sports. One went to the troop with his brothers (the ones mentioned above). Interestingly, 7 of the other 8 have dropped out of the troop they went to. Only the son of the guy who caused the trouble is still in. There's much more to this story, but I'll leave it alone. I've vented about this person a few times in here.

This year is crazy! As our troop has gotten more and more good press around the community and the district, all the packs are interested in us. We've had 24 Webelos from 4 packs visit. Of these, I expect to get at least 20. This will almost double the size of our troop. Needless to say, I'm worried about the impact this will have on our troop, and whether we'll be able to grow successfully.

Most Webelos Leaders are telling me that they plan to cross over as a group. I encourage them to let each boy and family decide. I've matured to the point that I can accept the fact that some won't like how we run the program. Some will want their boys to make Eagle in 2 years. Some will want to run their son's patrol instead of letting the boys do it. But that won't happen in this troop. I tell them now exactly how we operate, and for them to only come if that's what they want. Interestingly, this direct approach seems to appeal to the parents. I don't know what it is, but they like knowing exactly what to expect. A few won't come because they know they won't be camping with their sons. (I tell them "parents" aren't allowed, but "adults" are). A few have indicated they won't come because little brother and sister can't come on campouts like they did with family camping in the pack. That's fine, I'd rather them find something else to do than trying to change the program to something it's not supposed to be.

The point is... look at the troops, understand their program as best as you can, and choose based upon what you and your son want to get out of scouting. Don't force-fit him into something he's not and don't mandate that the den go as a group.

Oh well, I've gone on too long. It's a subject I'm passionate about. (Now, if I can only figure out how to successfully double the size of our troop overnight.....)

I just love reading these post as there are lots of great people who have been there / done that.

Last week we had our cross-over and all 7 of my former Webelos II scouts are going to the troop together. While that is not surprising, it is surprising that after we (as a den) visted several troops over the last 18 months they have chosen a small "work in progress" troop over the "super" troop that our pack kids normally join.

Now for a little background on the story -

I am the former Cubmaster of a "mega pack", a job which is like running a small town at times as some of you know. While I certainly enjoyed the job, I missed the "boat" entirely when it came to the affect that the position was having on my son's scouting experience. When you are the leader of a "mega" pack you spend a lot of time solving one issue after another from your unit leaders and pack parents and my son was trying to squeeze in time with me when ever he could.

When it came time to choose a Troop, I assumed that my son's choice would be the "super" troop that is well organized, well funded and has a great SM. As an Eagle scout, I was gearing up for this and was really excited about my son's future.

At the start of my son's Webelos I year my wife and informed our son that the Troop choice was his and we would support his decision no matter what. Well when the time came (after lots of troop visits) he informed me that he did not want to join "super" troop as the kids from there were mean to him and "he did not want to chase me around anymore".

While I am not the "sharpest" knife in the drawer, it did not take me long after that to realize that this was his "Scouting" experience and not mine. I had been trying to duplicate my experience for him and thats just not possible.

The unexpected results of my son's decision was that "he" led the rest of the his den to the troop along with many other kids from other packs that he knows. Over the weekend, the troop almost doubled in size after picking up close to 20 kids from three different packs.

As of 2 weeks ago, I assumed the role as SM for the troop and am working on getting all the training I can get.

Plan #1 My plan for the future is simple, let the boys led "their" troop have some fun.

Plan #2(See plan #1)

Our Troop is small, we have 25 boys registered, 23 active. We have a well trained adult leadership base and our older scouts attend NYLT and are expected to provide leadership to the troop for years after thier initial training. We currently have 7 boys 16 -17 years old.

We attempt to recruit 6 - 8 new boys a year. When I joined the troop, I brought 5. My son is the only survivor of that crossover.

The next year we got...Zippo. No new scouts. This is a wonderful troop, but nobody knew who we were and were we met.

I started attending Roundtable. I showed up and helped out, but I've never been officially on RT staff. As a ticket item I became the district FOS Chairman, which I still am, and that gave me face time with the different units. I made (still make) presentations to troops and packs all over my district. Another ticket item was to join the district training team. I did and am still a member in good standing. I do TDC, NLE, YPT, SM/ASM Specific, ITOLS. Now I'm going to be on WB Staff. I recruit other members of our adult leadership to do the same as well.

The amount of time we personally spent promoting scouting helped us recruit 12 new scouts last year...that may not sound like a lot, but we're considered a high adventure troop. We backpack almost everwhere we go and that is our emphasis. We're one of two in the district that "specialize" in this type of camping. We don't expect to get that many boys, and the other troop will only take a few a year. 12 new boys offered us a challenge to get enough new adults trained to get the job done. What a good problem to have.

Because I'm known in the district, and council for that matter, I bring some recognition to my unit. The unit is active in comporee's (honor patrol 2 of last 3 years) and other events as well. We also send out a mailer to CM's, Pack CC's, W1 and W2 leaders to advertise our opportunities for day hikes with our troop. We do a City Day hike ending in a bbq twice a year and a wilderness day hike (ending in a long nap) twice a year. The boys and the parents get an idea of what we're all about.

My troop joining experience:

When I joined the troop, I didn't know about it, or the scoutmaster at the time. Turned out he's quite a legend in our neck of the woods. Originally I told my W2 parents to look for a boy led troop, little adult interaction at the meeting, the boy should have a good time, the troop should be well organized with good leadership at the top, well trained, WB Trained SM hopefully and have plenty of money...well funded I guess you'd say.

We scheduled 3 troops in the area. 1 was huge, over 100 boys. Our parents liked the troop, good adults, but the boys hated the troop. Went to another, and I wanted to run, W3 den all over again. we left early. Went to troop 3 and everything was mediocre, nobody wanted to commit either way. My neighbor, who I'd never really talked to before, heard that I'd been doing visits. He came to my house and did a sales pitch for about an hour on his son's troop and his Scoutmaster, the legend I mentioned above. I told him I'd check it out to shut him up, thinking all along I had no interest since it's a backpacking troop and I'm way out of shape.

Long story...long... my boys loved it, wanted to join that night, thought the boys of the other troop were thier newest best friends, and all of my parents were equally impressed. Wow, what a fantastic group. I was still skeptical but since my son said "dad, I want this troop" what could I do.

I'm starting my 6th year with them and am looking forward to the next 6. I'm still out of shape, but at least I look good in a back pack...;)

Our formula for recruiting -- Adults and troop active in District giving recognition to the unit in the eyes of the Den and Pack leaders in the area. Provide an outstanding first event for them to attend, even if it's just a Troop Meeting, make it boy run fun all the way. This seems to work well for us.