Rumor about Paul Punyan Award

There are 7 principles of Leave No Trace. None of them have anything to do with any part of the Paul Bunyon Award requirements. They dont even relate to chopping down a tree, unless perhaps you choose to cut down the sole remaining tree at the top of Mt. Baden-Powell, elevation 9,399 feet, carrying the nest of a golden eagle.

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare (for hiking and camping trips)

2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces

3. Dispose of Waste Properly (Pack It In, Pack It Out)

4. Leave What You Find (pretty flowers or archaeological artifacts)

5. Minimize Campfire Impacts (site or scarce firewood)

6. Respect Wildlife

7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-105/

Gotta disagree there FS.

4. Leave What You Find

You found a live tree, you left a dead tree. It could one of a million trees in the forest, but that tree is now gone forever.

6. Respect Wildlife

Wildlife use trees for food, protection and nesting. Removing their habitat is not respecting them.

I happen to like trees. Removing a tree diminishes my enjoyment of it forever.

Now of course we are talking public land here, LNT is an ethics program for public land use. If this is on private land with permission from the owner it would be acceptable.

I like Fuzzy Bears story because it reminds me of the admonition, "don't try this at home." If the tree was leaning toward some structure, it should have been cut. And doubly so, if it was dead. There is little that a pro, much less an amatuer can do to reverse even the moderate lean of a tree. Dead trees are hazardous because they may contain a rotten core and once you cut through the sound outer ring, the tree can 'go' without warning. Falling timber is hazardous whether you're a pro or an amatuer.

Those examples are ludicrous, as it appears that is what you intended. Continuing in the same vein:

4. Leave What You Find

Better not get a drink of water from the creek; some fish downstream might need it.

6. Respect Wildlife

Be careful you dont step swat a mosquito or mis-step on a bug.

I dont like the sight of other people, better everybody else stay home.

I suppose we can be reasonable, or pooh-pooh the principles of LNT.

What do we teach our boys?

I teach that the best axe is a good pair of leather gloves for gathering and breaking small deadfall but only if we are not using stoves. Gloves are lightweight, multi-use and can also be used as hot pot-grabbers. We dont use that which is needed for the habitat or beauty unless it is necessary. If we must build a fire, I bring along a small back-packing saw for cutting one to two inch deadfall. I contrast this method, LNT, to the exclusive use of fires when I was a Scout and prefer the LNT, even though I love the warming and cooking of/on a campfire. fb

What do we teach our boys?

We teach our boys the Outdoor Code and LNT.

We teach our boys that when they go out on public land, that they leave no trace of their exploration. Sometimes, they find out that others don't do that. In that case, they leave a trace. They clean up after others.

Swatting mosquitoes or accidentally stepping on a bug are not violations of LNT. Seeking out bugs to stomp is. Spraying insecticide around your campsite is. Changing the environment to suit your needs is. Ugly trees, ugly bugs, ugly reptiles, uneven campsites are not excuses to violate LNT.

Those who can't see the fine line, perhaps should stay home.

"Those examples are ludicrous, as it appears that is what you intended. Continuing in the same vein: "

No, this example was and uncalled for as well.

GernBlansten, thank you for the correct and indepth explanation of the importance of the tree in LNT fashion as well as the public land private land explanation. I appreciate your entry.

We can minimize the importance (trees)and the significance(water) of all natural resources but if we don't all try to minimize the footprint we make when we take our scouts or ourselves in the outdoors, this will be a mute point when our kids kids are camping.

Sorry willysjeep this thread deviated from your original post, but I do there have been some excellent entries here on the types of situations when a tree can be downed and completion for the Bunyan award attained. The LNT stuff, just consider that Lagniappe.

Hey Fuzzy,

What's that old saying "When in Rome do like the Romans." We'll just change it to "When in the woods do like the Natives."

We'll take the PBA and TChip, use it on that multi-ton Oak, hollow it out and have a good old time floating around the Appalachian Islands.

As for uz2, just hitch it up to the pickup. It shouldn't be to hard to move it and LNT. Just kidding there. No offense meant.