I brought up having a six inch knife in a pocket. I would not carry a 6 inch 1/2 inch dowel in my pocket, let alone a sheath knife, or a folding knife that measures 6 inches when folded. Its a safety/comfort movement thing. You wanna hang a 12 inch sheath knife from a belt, no problem from me. I have an 18 inch or so sheath knife on my living history ceinture as Pierre the Voyageur. Ask me about my tuque I wear in honor of Uncle Earl

If national BSA were to see what my boys wear, they'd have a fit. As Civil War reenactors, if the military assault rifle-musket with blackpowder rolled in paper doesn't bring a gasp to the crowd, the 18" bayonet will. Then there's the variety of Bowie knives that are used for the rebel impression. We won't even go into the officer swords and sabers and side-arms that are worn by the kids. :)

So what you're saying is that the south might have won if only they had limited themselves to "a sharp pocketknife with a can opener". I for one am glad didn't have BSA's fine advice back then, otherwise I'd need to take my passport to visit Florida. :-)