Over the years, I have witnessed Eagle Scouts that slipped in the back door at the last minute, one that ripped off the ASM's home about a month after receiving the high honor, one that denied God before getting it, one that ripped off his fellow Scouts/ers at a Camporee and a few that just didn't seem to measure up. I have also witnessed those that grew Scoutingly over the years and were the best examples of where we were supposed to be going with this program. Some of these Scouts appear to bigger than life. If you stay around for awhile, there will be a mixed bag and sometimes, it is just too much to handle. It is my hope that everyone that receives the Eagle is a good example of physical and moral fitness, good character and citizenship but it just won't happen but when it does it is a breath of the best fresh air that we can breathe.

I also realize that the benefits may range from only one or two getting a scholarship and maybe one getting into the Air Force Academy based on obtaining the Eagle but for most, the highlight will be their ECOR and some later small recognitions for them just having it. As for me, I see the Eagle mostly in the light of a young person having the opportunity to grow up in the best program ever. If they are staying in until the last minute before they turn 18, then they will have all the benefits due them in growing in the Aims and Methods and that is worth it, even if a few fail to accept any of it at all. fb

Calico,

I have not found anywhere a prescribed (or proscribed) process for developing any court of honor, Eagle or otherwise.

Out troop's long-standing tradition (since before I joined the troop) has been to let the Eagle and his family plan the ECOH, subject to approval of the troop (specifically, the SM). We do provide guidance, resources, samples of past ECOHs, etc., to help develop a meaningful ceremony. The troop then implements the plan. This has the benefit of making the ceremony truly special for both the Eagle and his family. Over the years we have had elaborate ceremonies and very simple ones. Most ECOHs in our troop run a little under one hour, start to finish. We do not take a cookie-cutter approach.

I guess my frustration with this one comes from the fact that this particular Eagle has a reputation for doing everything last-minute. The apple did not fall far from the tree. Maybe I expect too much for someone to be considerate enough to be on time for his major event, and to enable his fellow scouts to be prepared to help honor him. In this case, trustworthiness, loyalty, and courtesy were sorely tested.

>>Eagle Scouts that slipped in the back door at the last minute, one that ripped off the ASM's home about a month after receiving the high honor, one that denied God before getting it, one that ripped off his fellow Scouts/ers at a Camporee and a few that just didn't seem to measure up.

With a few of the recent Eagles that I have seen come through, their Rank was obviously awarded for simply completing the requirements. The required "Scout Spirit" was apparantly overlooked or re-defined.

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect an Eagle candidate to have good interpersonal skills with Adults and other Scouts. Look them in the eye when when talking (Courteous)and give a firm handshake. It's not that hard, but obviously a difficult task for some.

Our Troop is infamous for the eleventh hour Eagles. We have had a few boys turn their paperwork in literally at 10:00PM the night before their 18th birthday. These boys are/were actually the more mature and organized ones. They knew what had to be done when and did it. We have a great CC who checks up on them and reminds them if time was short. In the last 3 years we've had 8 scouts make Eagle, 6 of them at the last minute, 2 in a timely manner, and 2 that were active but didn't finish in time. Six have stayed on as ASMs.

Out the six, three had their ECOH within 2 months. A third waited about 5 months until family could be in from out of town for the holidays ( several of them being Eagles ), the fourth just finished his EBOR and has to make plans yet.

The sixth one, who is now an ASM for the Troop, finished his at 10:00 PM the night before you know what. He always wanted to join Scouts but didn't do it until he was 15 yr. and 9 months.

He informed the SM the night he walked in "I've always wanted to do this. I will be an Eagle by the time I'm 18. Will you help me do this or do I need to find another SM and Troop that will?"

Other Scouters in the troop and District thought it was a pipe-dream and couldn't be done. He did it, is still very involved in the Troop, and still hasn't planned an ECOH. Granted, his birthday is in Nov, the EBOR was in Apr. and the recent SM forgot to notify him his packet from National had arrived until Oct. He is happy to be an Eagle and feels doing it in 2 years is an achievement in it self and doesn't care for all the hoopla.

But he was informed by the District Adv. Chair when being interviewed for the Heroism Award last summer that he has certain responsibilities and obligations to fulfill with both the awards,

1.) The main one being having your ECOH and NCOH to be recognized before your peers, younger scouts, etc.

2.) Be present at the Council and District Recognition Dinners

3.) And wear your awards/knots on your uniform with pride,

therefore setting an example for the younger scouts (and older scouters) so they know what they can do if they put the effort into it and that their leaders have been in their shoes.

We are waiting on National to send the Heroism packet. When it arrives and the National COH is convened, we plan on surprising him, combining the two COH's and awarding him a belated Eagle.(This message has been edited by ASM915)(This message has been edited by ASM915)

Eh, such a loaded topic. As someone who falls into this catagory of completing Eagle at the 11th hour of my 17th birthday, I can see where all comments come from. However I think the important part is that the SCOUT actually completes and achieves the rank. I see so often in the troop I'm involved with ASMs and other adults attempting to try and as they call it "push along" scouts. What I see is adults earning rank advancements. So, I guess what I'm attempting to say is who cares when the young men earn the rank, we as leaders should be there congratulating them on a fine job done, and hoping they stick with the program as adult leaders.

I earned my Eagle about a month ago. I got the paperwork in a few weeks before I turned 18, and we actually had a guy who got his stuff in last minute.

I know what alot of you guys are talking about when it comes to Eagle Scouts and parents/leaders pushing them. We have had several scouts complete their Eagle requirements during their Sophmore years. They were also my close friends, and I know that their parents did a majority of the stuff for them. Does that mean they don't deserve it? Well that was obviously up to the board to decide.

Point being, I'm not holding a witch hunt, but when I am up there receiving my award, I will know that I completely earned it.