Greetings from the Maine Wilderness

Well, this isn't the first forum I have joined, but it's been a while since I've found one that actually appears to be active without the trolling you find on the old usenet newsgroups (I was around way back when they split rec.scouting into it's current subgroups).

I've been continuously active in scouting for over 25 years first as a scout, then assistant scoutmaster/scoutmaster and currently as a district volunteer. I have served on numerous camporee/klondike staffs and on the staff of one regional Canadian Jamboree.

I'm an avid patch collector who's collection has gotten a bit out of hand.

Don't know how active I'll be here yet. We'll see.

I'm not from that far north (Haynesville), thought that is more wilderness then where I'm at. Currently, I'm in the state Capital of Disgusta...er...Augusta, at the populated end of my district that stretches to the Quebec border. Area-wise, we're the third largest district to my knowledge in New England, covering an area larger than the state of CT (and possibly CT combined with RI). Some of our leaders have to drive 2 hours each way to attend roundtable.

Considering that moose are occasionally spotted here in Augusta, we're not really all that far from the 'wilderness' of Maine. ;)

Welcome moxieman,

pull up a stump, put a log on the fire and pour yourself a cup of joe...I hope to be able to send our older boys off on Trek somewhere in Maine before long...it's been 10 years since the troop did a Maine H.A. trip...'bout time (overdue) I think!

anarchist

Welcome from a displaced Maniac! I'm currently scouting toward the other end of Rt. 1 down in Florida. We've visited the end of Rt 1 in Key West, maybe some day I can get the troop to go to the other end of Rt 1 (in summer, you know July!)

YiS

I am proud to say at my son's Eagle Court of Honor, we served Moxie...

And I have bathed in the pools just above Moxie Falls...

This year the Troop plans on doing some WhiteWater along the Dead to the Kennebec at The Forks, you could say we are adventure bound

PS my father is from the Caratunk/Forks area

Anarchist wrote:

".it's been 10 years since the troop did a Maine H.A. trip...'bout time (overdue) I think!"

H.A. trip? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

flmomscoutw3 wrote:

"We've visited the end of Rt 1 in Key West, maybe some day I can get the troop to go to the other end of Rt 1 (in summer, you know July!)"

Well, Troop 189 of Fort Kent happens to maintain the visitor center at the north end at the historic Fort Kent Blockhouse. In addition to the visitor center they have a campground right at the fort. They don't have a website, but you should be able to contact them through their sponsor, the Lions Club should you ever decide to visit the Crown of Maine. Website: http://www.fortkentlions.org/

and OldGreyEagle wrote:

"And I have bathed in the pools just above Moxie Falls..."

You, my friend, are nuts. Two people made that mistake this past summer. One of them didn't survive the trip over the falls. For those who have not been to Maine, Moxie Falls is one of our tallest waterfalls with the main drop being about 70 feet or so, Doesn't sound like much, but it drops into an angled gorge. If you're crazy enough to risk trying to bathe or cross above the falls and slip you'll get smeared against the canyon wall on your way down.