How to utilize a JASM?

Hi,

I'm wondering how the troop your involved with makes use of the JASM POR?

Currently, the troop I'm involved with has an SA assigned as a "Patrol Mentor" to each patrol. The troop also has several older scouts that mostly just hang out at the meetings. I'd like to see these scouts be given some sort of responsibility to keep their interest and utilize their experience. I'm thinking that perhaps they should be assigned as JASMs and assigned as the patrol mentors instead of the SAs. Then an SA can be assigned to work with the JASMs.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with this.

Thanks,

SWScouter

First off, JASMs must be at least 16 years old. This is National Policy.

If you look at the various materials from National, they speak of JASMs and give some ideas on how they can be used (see SM HB, and I think the PL & SPL handbooks).

If the scouts you are thinking of are old enough (and mature enough) to be 'patrol mentors', they might be ok as JASM. Understand that I think some of the thinking behind JASMs is that they oversee and mentor the troop junior leaders. And think how much different would this be from an ASPL doing this task?

Thanks for the responses!

One scout I'm thinking of is 16, served as SPL a year ago, and is just finishing up his Eagle Project. I feel he wants to provide leadership to the troop but doesn't want to step on the SPL's toes and also doesn't want to be SPL again. He really is a great scout and has a lot to offer the other scouts.

So more specifically, how has troops you've been involved utilized JASMs? Has that worked well or not. What are the lessons learned?

Thank you,

SWScouter

I am a 17 year old JASM in my troop. I was the SPL for two years. My Scoutmaster makes sure that he keeps us busy. Mainly I find myself helping out the Junior Leaders keeping the troop together. We also help out with the patrols and we are in charge of our troops point system where the patrols get points for various things. I feel we are kind of act like the adults, supervising, and making sure that everything is in order. The thing I like about being a JASM is that I now have more time to do other things within Boy Scouts, that I couldn't do as an SPL. For instance, I am more active within the OA and other activities. Plus, this is the time of my life where college and school have become a big part of it.

The Junior Assistant Scoutmaster serves the same role as the ... Assistant Scoutmaster. Pull out the job description for the Assistant Scoutmaster, and you've got the same basic job description for a JASM. The only exception being any part of the ASM's job that requires the ASM to be of age (driving Scouts, etc.).

If you have ASM's serving as "Patrol Mentor", then your JASM's should be qualified (if not more qualified) to do the job.

Meechgalanne serves as a prime example of when to use the JASM POR, as opposed to the Instructor or Troop Guide POR. 17, SPL for 2 years. In a very real sense, after serving as an SPL for 2 years, becoming an Instructor or Troop Guide is a bit of a backwards step. The Instructor reports to the ASPL, and the Troop Guide works with the New Scout Patrol (if you happen to have one). The JASM reports directly to the Scoutmaster - and if used wisely, as it sounds in Meechgalanne's case, can be an incredible resource to the more senior youth leaders, like the SPL, ASPL, Instructors and Troop Guide.

SW - a 16 year old soon to be Eagle Scout who has served as SPL with the sense to want to get out of the way and let the current SPL do his thing sounds like a great candidate for JASM as well. He'll serve as a resource without any direct responsibility to the Patrol Leader's Council. He can still instruct and can still help guide a New Scout Patrol, but he doesn't have to be limited to those things. As JASM, he could help guide the Troop Guide, or instruct the Instructors.

And since someone, somewhere, is bound to ask - on campouts, the JASM should be sharing cooking/cleaning duties and eating with the Adults, though he should camp with the other Senior Youth Leaders.

CalicoPenn

I have served as a JASM for almost 18 months. Basically I have played the role of an ASM with the obvious exceptions. Summer Camp was where I was able to best benefit the troop, IMO, because I was playing the role of the 3rd adult almost. I was in charge of making sure the Scouts were getting medicine and proved vital when a couple became homesick during the week.

Serving as JASM has been beneficial to me as well for a few reasons. First, it has allowed me to be active in the troop while not having to be there every time. I play 3 varsity sports as well as am active in some school activities. Also, this will allow me to easily transition into serving as ASM and being an adult in the troop.

Yah, JASM's are best used as ASM's. Invite 'em to all the adult meetings, treat 'em and use 'em just like an adult. The only thing to be cautious of is that their younger siblings and same-age peers will never quite see them as an adult, so put 'em with other kids.

JASM's typically have better skills and more "field experience" than an adult ASM, and better fitness. Can't beat da recent experience of 5-6 years of monthly scout campin'. Usin' them in the field as a trusted "adult" works great.

JASM's are also usually pretty good at gettin' the tone right in terms of fun/friend vs. serious/adult when they work with younger kids. In the beginnin' they can tend toward too strict with the young or too loose with the older boys (somewhat the opposite of adult ASMs). But they learn fast with a bit of coachin'.

Make sure you select a JASM carefully, in the same way you select an ASM carefully. It shouldn't be an "automatic" thing for a former SPL or to "fill slots" as patrol coaches. Should be a genuine "we recognize this kid as a colleague in all but age."

The most successful programs are usually the most fun for all the scouts. They do it by constantly challenging each scouts maturity and skills. JASM is that next level for scouts who have mastered most of what the program offers the youth. These are young men ready to take on adult responsibilities and usually they amaze themselves as much as they amaze the over 18 adults. Sadly, scouting is about the only program for young men of this age where they get the opportunity to act their age. And this is one big reason why I love this Scouting Stuff so much.

Barry