Greetings from Albany, Oregon

Greetings all,

Just joined the forum last night.

Have been active (somewhat) with Scouting for four years, starting when my son joined Webelos Pack 22, Atsugi, Japan. Was an assistant for about a year and a half -- not that I was able to participate much, as I was deployed about half that time.

I was at sea when my son bridged to Boy Scout Troop 22 -- I got to go on a few of the campouts and activities, but once again, I was at sea most of the time.

We moved back to the States in June of last year and have been involved with Troop 99 here in Albany since then. Our SM had to leave in January to take a job, so I stuck my (foot in my mouth?) hand up and volunteered.

I do not have a Scouting background, but I grew up camping, fishing, and hunting with my father in the mountains of NE Oregon, so some of this is easy to pick back up.

Thankfully I have a GREAT group of adult leaders, ASMs, and MB councilors. Four or five of the adults are still active with our Troop, even though their son's have earned Eagle and moved on. LOTS of experience on which to draw.

I'm really happy to be on shore duty (my last tour before retirement) with time to spend with my son and our Troop and looking forward to getting to know some of you here, as well.

I know someone's going to ask, so I'll explain in advance -- Cigar, because I enjoy a good cigar; squid -- usually used derogatorally (mainly by Marines) when referring to a Sailor.

Tim

"Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement."

Greetings (most interesting name I think I've seen) glad to have you join with us. Welcome to the campfire. Scouting is a wonderful adventure, hope you have a great time. There are lots of great folks here that have a wealth of information and experience to draw from. Feel free to ask or share whatever you feel inspired to.

Welcome, Csquid. I love Oregon and I'd move there if I could escape the family. One of my personal favorite places on earth is the Three Sisters Wilderness especially the Obsidian Cliffs area. Heck, the whole McKenzie River area for that matter. Well, add the coast...I guess I like the whole state. Welcome.

P.S. I sure wish we could get Henry Weinhardt's Vanilla Cream Soda here in the South. Best on earth. You Oregon folks make pretty good pie too.