... the good old days...

Our good friend Eammon waxes poetic now and then. Even philosophical. I always enjoy his ramblings. His folksy way can make us stop and look at ourselves. Recently he told us about the tribulations in his family and how he is coping. It made me think of my own family and the ups and downs that happen to us all. No one's life ever goes 'according to plan'. We all adjust, reset the sights, and go on.

Eammon helped me remember an epiphany I had more than 30 years ago. Some old person was talking about "the good old days" and I started wondering why the good old days were always in the past. Darn - I missed them! Did those people back then know they were lucky enough to be having the 'good old days'? .... In a flash of teenage insight, I realized that THESE are the good old days. Right now. Today. In 20 years we'll forget the hurts, the scars will heal and we will be telling our grandkids wonderful stories about ... today ...

I hope everyone has a marvelous January 6, 2007. One worth telling your grandkids about!

:)

Thanks for the post. Creating the good old days for our children and grandchildren is a wonderful task. A little free association...It made me think of the theme song to "All in the Family" and made me smile. (Politically incorrect and all.)

"Boy, the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the Hit Parade. Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days! Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight Gee, our old LaSalle (a car) ran great. Those were the days! And you knew where you were then! Girls were girls and men were men. Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again. People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent. Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days! Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win. Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin (five dollar bill). Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song. I don't know just what went wrong! Those Were the Days!"

Trevorum's post reminds me of something my father used to say. He had little patience for folks that waxed nostalgic at the "good ol' days." He would talk about his poor childhood in a rough neighborhood in New Jersey. He would talk about his years as a young soldier in WWII. He talked about his stuggles to earn enough money to continue college after the war. He talked about his worries of nuclear war while raising his four young children.

In his late 70s, he would look at his four grown children, all well-educated and well-employed, raising children of their own. He would look around his house at all the comforts and conveniences he worked hard for and earned. He would look lovingly at his wife of close to 50 years.

A smile would come across his face and he'd say to us, don't look back children. Remember....THESE are the good ol' days.

Indeed! "These are the good old days." An idea that has been around since...well...the good old days.

We can never know about the days to come

But we think about them anyway

And I wonder if I'm really with you now

Or just chasin' after some finer day

Anticipation

Anticipation

Is makin' me late

Is keepin' me waitin'

And I tell you how easy it feels to be with you

And how right your arms feel around me

But I, I rehearsed those lines just late last night

When I was thinkin' about how right tonight might be