New to these Fourms

Greetings,

Although I am new to these fourms, I am not new to Scouting.

I joined Boy Scout's in 1965 in the Baltimore Area Council, Troop 774.

I received my Eagle in 1972 in Post 774. I was a JASM in the troop and Post President and then Post Advisor.

My son decided that he wanted to join Scouts and he joined a troop in Southern PA. I joined the troop committee and then earlier this year, they asked me to become Assistant Scoutmaster, of which I accepted.

When I was in Scouts, my father joined the troop committee and then they asked if he would become Assistant Scoutmaster, which he did. He then went on to become Scoutmaster, and since there was more than one John in the troop, they asked if he would be willing to go by the name "Mr. Mal."

In my troop where I'm Assistant Scoutmaster, there is also another John in the troop as Assistant Scoutmaster (do you see where this is going)?

The Scoutmaster of my troop asked me if I would be willing to go as "Mr. Mal" to diferenate me from the other John.

Anyway, I am going to be starting WB NE-IV 183 in a few days (April 21) and I am looking forward to that.

I am also going to be relying on the fine folks here for advice on assisting the Scoutmaster of my troop, as well as helping those who need my help.

It's all for the boys.

Thanks

John Mal.

Hi Mr Mal:

It's a great thing you're doing in coming back and helping your son's troop. Sometimes getting parents to help is like pulling teeth. Other times all it takes is asking. Hope you and your son have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you,

It is great to be part of the brotherhood of Scouting here and to know that we are all here to help each other so we can help the boys.

After all, isn't that one of the parts of the Scout Law, "A Scout is Helpful"?

Again, thanks.