Most scouts view knots as something that they have to do. Instead of something fun like working with an ax or building a fire.

Is there a way to make knots more "fun" so each year we don't have to go back to square one before Klondkike?

Games of skill where the requisite skill is knot-tying. These could either competitive (knot-tying relays for example) in which the winning teams actually get a prize or they could be challenges such as completing a quest (that requires knot-tying) for a prize.

After they know a little bit, there are other challenges such as learning how to tie a bowline with one hand, etc.

Not all of them are going to warm up to knots the same way but once a few 'get it' the others will tend to follow.

You have the boys plan activities where they have to use the knots they have learned to build things. You can also have them do patrol competitons with things like knot relays, building litters and transporting patrol members in a race, etc...

One learns a skill for one of three reasons: It is fun, I get rewarded when I am successful (or punished if I am not), or I see it is useful. Knowledge of ropes and knots can be fun, can make life easier, can even save lives.

When you go camping or hiking, find (make) ways to use the knots. Lashings, setting up tents w/o "hardware", slings across creeks, packboards rather than big bag packframes, learn "turks head" necker slides,set up camp 'gizmos' and flagpoles.

Speed games are good. Relays (one boy ties a knot, the next unties it on down the line), get some BIG caliper rope and try moving logs and other big things with properly applied rope. Find a "rigger" who works with cranes and high steel and see if he can lead your boys to an appreciation of ropes and harness, "block and tackle'.

Yes, the trick knots are fun. Cast around in your Council for a magician who works with ropes. Perhaps a sailor, or Sea Scout.

Any Venture(er)s out there that are into rock climbing and rappelling. Especially old style without so much "hardware".

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, every job will look like a nail". Learn many knots and proper rope use. You might need the knowledge some day. The Square Knot is not the best choice in every situation.

YiS "I'm tied up this weekend..."

We started "Knot of the Night" at our Troop meetings. Each meeting the Scouts were introduced to a new knot/hitch. They were shown the proper way to tie it, then had time to practice. Each week we added a new knot/hitch & after the new knot/hitch was introduced & practiced they had to tie the one(s) they were taught in previous meetings! Worked like a charm! They enjoyed it & remembered their knots/hitches when it came time to use them!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

When I started working with group of 11-year-old scouts, they had no interest in tying knots. So we simulated a survival situation, using stacks of chairs and table legs as trees and rocks we demonstrated how the knots could and should be used. Then on outings, we would have the scouts build their shelters with ropes and tarps. They thought camping with no tents was a lot of fun. I am also a fan of the tipi; it uses lashings and scouts love it.

Make knot tying a practical skill. We have the scouts tie down the camp equipment on the trailer with appropriate knots.

During the winter, I like to build miniature towers, bridges and other pioneer projects inside. Use dowels and cordage to make towers 4 or 5 feet tall. I have also used chopsticks and kite string for tabletop structures.

I like the Knot of the Night idea.

I agree 100% with those who have posted about making knots a tool that Scouts will use and will have some value or meaning to them.

At the back of our meeting room I have a plank of wood about eight foot long with holes drilled in it through the holes we added good quality line, above the hole is the name of a knot or hitch. (There are two ropes for joining knots) and a broom stick hangs under for the hitches and a cleat for the cleat hitch.) We added a cheap stop watch from wal-mart.

The challenge is to be able to tie the 20 knots correctly in under 3 minutes.

We started this as a Ship activity and it went so-so. But just having it there for them to use when the want too, seems to work a lot better.

Very often after a meeting a few of them will get into it and I'm late getting home because we have got into a knot session.

Having it set up means we never have to look for rope or line. Having the knots named means that they don't just tie the knots they know they can tie.

If a Scout claims to have tied all the knots faster than the last Scout and we have time the two of them can race against each other.

I have to admit to being a little surprised about how interested the Scouts are in this and how well the guys who can tie tie the knots teach the other Scouts.

Eamonn.

I have been annoyed over the years to have a Life or Eagle Scout be unable to tie a basic knot when the occasion arises. One thing that works against the boys is they no longer need to be able to tie a knot to pitch a tent and keep it up. Bungee cords and velcro have replaced knots in some apps.

We have at times done the "Knot of the night" thing. Building something also is a great teaching tool. Our guys love to build catapults and signal towers.

One thing we have had some success with is our Troop "Knot Head" award. I designed a temporary patch with a square knot superimposed over a Fleur de Lis with our Troop # and the words Knot Head around the perimeter. To earn the patch a Scout must tie seven knots ( square, bowline, sheet bend, tautline hitch, timber hitch, clove hitch, and half hitch) for the Scoutmaster in a proficient manner. Originally we had a one minute time limit, but this seemed to discourage a lot of boys from trying. I made a plaque with the patch glued to the top and the recipients names wood burned on it. It hangs in our Scout Hall and seems to be a good incentive.

Try to build an inverted tri-pod tower. We built one for scout week when I was a scout. Another year we built a monkey bridge in the Mall over a fountain where daring souls could try it! Of course todays scouts would not be caught dead in a mall with their uniforms on. Dont they know women cant resist a man in uniform?