Troop Finances/Accountability

Hello to all! I haven't been here in a while,computer problems. I'd like to hear your thoughts on a situation in our troop.

We have a Troop Committee of about a dozen people, including the treasurer. The treasurer is someone we all know well and has a good reputation. This person has served as treasurer for the past two years with no complaints. They keep track of deposits, expenditures, and some petty cash, giving a report at monthly committee meetings. That report goes into the official minutes. We have always required two signatures on all checks, and have three members allowed to sign checks, myself being one of those. All purchases over $50 are cleared through the committee. So, you see, a pretty basic, user friendly system.

Recently the father of one of our scouts began showing up at committee meetings. He is very outspoken and critical of many areas. He has begun to question our budget and spending practices during committee meetings, even going so far as to privately ask the treasurer for an itemized list of all expenses & income for the past year (the treasurer honored his request). We have explained things to him as best we can but he seems to be a poor communicator/listener.

So...a District Commissioner (also a CM) has brought it to our attention that "someone" has turned in a complaint to the district, concerning our handling of finances. We have not been officially contacted, and may not be.

I am confident, having seen the books, that we have nothing to hide. Bank statements are filed & retained, reports are made. As I stated we have used the KISS (keep-it-simple-stupid) method of bookkeeping. We have a healthy budget and bank account.

My question is this...how do we satisfy this man's questions, and others who may ask? How do other troops publish their budget/spending? Annually, yearly? Is it enough to announce that the "books" are open at any committee meeting to all interested parties?

Also, do we approach our COR/IH to let them know there has been a question and possibly go over the books? We have a very friendly relationship with our charter.

I am not against sharing information, but do not want to put more work on our treasurer if possible. How far should a committee go to satisfy this kind of request? I feel like we have a good system and a polite explanation of it's workings would satisfy most reasonable folks. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

firecrafter

Firecrafter,

This is, as you properly believe, an issue for your COR and IH. Get them in the loop immediately. If your Chartered Partner is a non-profit, there is probably an officer there who is their Treasurer.

Ask for an oversight review of procedures and the books.

When it's done, ask the IH for feedback (it's a gift! :) ) on procedures to be sustained and those to be improved. If the IH finds the finance system of the Troop acceptable, let him say so, and then invite those with complaints to see the COR after seeing the CC.

If there is a clean bill of health, the CC needs to take the parent aside and say "desist." If you do not, there will be consequences.

If the parent continues, and if the parent is question is a Scouter, one possible solution is that the IH says to Council: "I find Billybob Jumpback no longer suitable to be a Scouter with units of MyServiceCluborChurch. Please do not recharter him in Pxxxx, Txxxx, or Cxxxx."

As a very last resort, recommend to the parent that their son may find another Troop more to the Parents' liking.

A financial report should be printed off & given to all families at least yearly. They have a right to see where all of their fundraising efforts are going. It might even stimulate them to work a bit harder (or the opposite if you have large reserves of money that go unused from year to year) at fundraising.

As for your CO, they own your unit, & technically, all of the money in your unit bank account. They should also be getting a financial report at least yearly & something that summarizes what their Troop has been doing all year.

I would not worry about any complaint to District about your finances. As I stated, the money is your CO's, NOT your Districts. Districts traditionally will leave the CO to handle things like this. It might not be a bad idea to send out a financial report to your CO & families at this time though.

Yah, John-in-KC gave the perfect answer, eh? You should do exactly as he suggests.

In terms of protectin' your treasurer's time (and protecting your treasurer from difficult individuals), I'd also add a standing policy that the SM, CC or COR (individually), or committee (by motion and vote) can request the treasurer for reports and detailed records. Nobody else. The treasurer should not honor such requests from "any parent" or "any committee member" beyond providing the records from the individual scout's account.

Family payment histories, individual kids' fundraisin' levels, and especially records of financial aid/support/camperships for any boys, should be confidential anyways, eh?

"Family payment histories, individual kids' fundraisin' levels, and especially records of financial aid/support/camperships for any boys"

These things do not need to be a part of a distributed financial report. It can be consolidated down to income & expenditures for various events with out a listing of names. It is a part of the Treasurer's job to report at the monthly Committee/Leader's meetings, & to the CO, on the unit's finances.

Many parents have no idea how much money it takes to run a unit. Seeing that simply the awards for the year can cost a unit $1,000 is eye opening for some.

I strongly encourage units to have an audit/review of the books once a year. Usually you can find another member of the troop committee to do this. We have an accountant on our committee who does this for us. Additionally, I encourage units to rotate the treasurer duties every 2 years. This reduces the chance (or even the appearance of) impropriety. It also forces you to rotate a rather challenging, thankless job.