"Given the bad press that can be caused by one bad apple, I can understand a unit not jumping on an offer to volunteer from someone who doesn't have kids in the unit."

I agree with you 100% and that is why I went to the council web page (the 'front door' so to speak) to express my interest and wanted the interview to be in my home with my family present. I even provided my resume. I thought that just showing up at meetings might give someone the creeps.

How about starting by joining one of the Charter Organizations in your area. Usually the CO's pick from their membership for unit leaders. Remember, it is the CO who has final say (aside from the council background check) on who it's leaders are.

Getting to know the other families in your area is also a great place to begin. While your girls might not be in school yet, they do play with other kids, right? Get to know their families, your neighbors, the folks at your church. Some of them might have boys in scouts. Offer to help them with something.

Do you have a special interest or skill that you could share? Once you get to know some of the Scouts in your neighborhood, talk to their Troop about signing on as a Merit Badge Counselor.

Signing on as a Unit Commissioner at the District level is a good idea too. Ask your DE if UC's are needed in your District. Usually the answer is YES! You do not have to be attached to a unit to register with council as a UC.

If none of the above appeals to you, or if it all falls thru, take heart. You can STILL be involved in Scouting! In a few more years, once they start Kindergarten, your daughters can register with GSUSA as Daisy Girl Scouts. Then you can sign on as a Girl Scout Troop Leader!

Good Luck!

f2c, I understand some of your frustration.

As a former scout, I wanted to start volunteering with scouting as soon as I finished college. I didn't have any children yet, but signed up as an ASM with the troop at our church (Catholic parish). I got fully trained, and was ready to go. But there was no communication from the SM. I'd show up for a troop meeting and no one would be there, because it had been cancelled for some reason. The SM had made sure all the scouts were told at school that day, but didn't bother to call and tell me. I eventually gave up and stopped showing up, despite the SM's wife's excuses and urging me to continue to help.

In retrospect, I wished I'd have become a UC or done some other district role. I think I'd have had more fun, and wouldn't have had the problems I'd have had. Plus, now that my oldest is a Tiger cub now, I would have already become familiar with the district leadership, which would be helpful for our pack.

But hindsight is 20/20.

Good luck, and I hope you find a way to volunteer. I'd echo the suggestion to contact the district chairman or district commissioner for the district where you live. Even if you don't want to volunteer at the district level, these two volunteer scouters might respond better to your wish to help than the professional scouter (DE) did. They're likely to also know of units in need of additional volunteers.