BSA Trademark symbol use

I suspect that the use of the fleur-de-lis in conjunction with the Youthscouts name triggered this.

I've seen the fleur-de-lis in many ornamental works, especially metalwork.

Interesting. I did a search on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Inquiry System:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=Boy%20Scouts%20of%20America%20%20

There are four pages of complaints. There is even one for Scouting/USA- the logo used during the infamous Improved Scouting Program of the 70s.

Ed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nldscout writes:

Looks like old news on website. I guess nothing much happening with them.

As I understand it the BSA's usual strategy is to delay as long as possible. Often the children excluded from the BSA will age-out and head off to college, and their parents will loose interest in opposition to the BSA. Given the massive "fire power" of the BSA it should not be surprising that the YouthScout's motion to force the Trademark office to make a ruling has been delayed.

However Greg Wrenn does update his Website with every new legal event.

Kudu

From Wikipedia:

Fleur-de-lis is literally translated from French as "flower of the lily", and is widely thought to be a stylised version of the species Iris pseudacorus. Decorative ornaments that resemble the fleur-de-lis have appeared in the artwork from the earliest civilizations.

"The use for ornamental or symbolic purposes of the stylised flower usually called fleur de lis is common to all eras and all civilizations. It is an essentially graphic theme found on Mesopotamian cylinders, Egyptian bas-reliefs, Mycenean potteries, Sassanid textiles, Gaulish coins, Mameluk coins, Indonesian clothes, Japanese emblems and Dogon totems. The many writers who have discussed the topic agree that it has little to do graphically with the lily, but disagree on whether it derives from the iris, the broom, the lotus or the furze, or whether it represents a trident, an arrowhead, a double axe, or even a dove or a pigeon. It is in our opinion a problem of little importance. The essential point is that it is a very stylised figure, probably a flower, that has been used as an ornament or an emblem by almost all civilizations of the old and new worlds."[3]

It has consistently been used as a royal emblem, though different cultures have interpreted its meaning in varying ways. Gaulish coins show the first designs which look closely similar to modern fleurs-de-lis.[4]

I was thinking about this, I have often visited New Orleans, but not since Katrina. I rememebr down around the French Quarter there were a significant number of FDL's on lamp posts and the like, maybe it wasn't George Bush dynamiting the levees after all, it was the BSA lawyers, SHHHHH dont tell anyone...

The FDL is the official symbol of Quebec, which would account for it ending up in New Orleans...probably imported by the French Acadians (Cajuns).

If you google "Quebec Flag":

"The flag of Quebec was officially adopted on March 9, 1950.

It's a modern version of the old French-Canadian flag known as the Fleurdelyse. The white cross on a blue field recalls an ancient French military banner, and the four (4) fleur-de-lys (flowers) are symbolic of France."

See also: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/fdl.htm which shows a stained glass FDL window dating from the 15th century.

So bottom line is the BSA would have a tough time trying to lay claim to the rights to the generic FDL. When the eagle, shield, stars and "Be Prepared" scroll are added, however, it becomes a unique trademark.