Author of Scout Novel, THE BRUTE

Hi, Everybody.

I wrote a novel about a sixteen-year-old Scout on a disastrous campout in the Flint Hills of Kansas. It was published last year and I'm brainstorming for ways to bring it to the attention of Scouts and Scouters. I welcome your ideas.

I'm a former Cubmaster and Scoutmaster, but now that my sons are grown, I write novels.

I've never used one of these message boards before. Is this what you call a blog?

If you would like to learn more about my novel, my website is www.mikeklaassen.com. The first chapter is posted there.

I guess someone will tell me if I'm not supposed to share that here.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike and Welcome.

It's perfectly OK to share your website here. I've seen several other folks do the same. No this isn't what you'd call a blog (short for weblog) this is a forum where people have discussions and share information. A blog is a personal journal about yourself that you share on the net. I'm going to check out your site and give the chapter a read. If it sounds decent I just might buy it.

Just because you're a former CM and SM doesn't mean that you can't stick around. This group will welcome anyone in. Take me for instance. LOL

Hi Mike,

Have you tried advertising on this site? See the book selections below.

Maybe sending excerpts into Boys Life for possible printing?

Some giveaways at Jamboree/Camporees?

I am a big fan of the old Tom Slade stories. Maybe you will prove to be the next Percy Fitzhugh.

Best of luck.

Thank you t158sm and SemperParatus for your replies.

I haven't tried to advertise on this site yet, but I plan to check it out before long.

I sent a review copy to Boys Life and Scouting magazines when The Brute first came out, but I never heard anything back.

I think copies of The Brute would make great give-a-ways at camporees/jamborees. Great prizes and awards, in general. One lady here in Wichita tracked me down to get a couple copies as presents to new Eagle Scouts. Actually, I think Webelos and new Scouts would get a real charge out of it, too.

Wow! I just checked my website counter. Since I posted my first message last week, 80 more people have visited the site!

Thanks everyone. Any questions so far?

Regards,

Mike Klaassen (www.mikeklaassen.com)

Unless you are an official BSA supplier, it is highly unlikely that you will ever hear from Boys' Life or Scouting editors about unsolicited manuscripts.

Too many liability issues, and that's understandable because the vetting takes place during the rigorous supplier screening process.

Eagle76,

Yes, Kansas has hills. In fact, the drive along the Kansas Turnpike (I-35) between El Dorado and Topeka is breathtaking. There are several other routes that are well worth the trip if you're ever in the area.

Miki101,

You're probably right. And BSA should have high standards. But it can make things a little frustrating at times.

Thank you both for your messages.

Mike Klaassen