Troop paying for partial camp outings?

Hi, I was wondering if any other troops out there have toyed with the idea of paying, for example, the campsite fee for the boys? The reason I ask is we were on a cold, rainy camping trip in November and one of the boys suggested we go see a movie (it was pretty close) and he (past SPL, great scout) asked me if the troop would pay for the movie. I said (as SM) I would have to take it committee. The committee voted no, "the boys should pay for everything" Well this is my dilema. We have a very small troop, we had 5 boys on this outing, so per boy (mainly because of the camping fee) it was not a cheap trip. It has been like this the past 2 years. We were lucky enough to go to Philmont this last year but 2 boys that went haven't gone camping (except the required Philmont prep) for 2 years cause they were saving their money for Philmont. Also, the fact that a boy brought this up..... it's very hard to get the parents to understand.... I tell them every committee meeting "It's up to the boys"... Anyway what do you think about the troop paying for some portion of outings????

Thanks Dave

We attempt to make campouts a zero-budget item. In other words, the cost of the campout is covered by those that participate in it. We use a fairly set formula and hope it works. So, let's say the cost for campsites is $100, and we estimate that 20 people will attend, we charge $5 to each person (in addition to other costs - food, activities, etc.).

Sometimes, if a trip is getting a little expensive, we'll charge a less and let the troop absorb some of the cost. For example, we had a canoe trip that was getting up around $35. We only charged $25 or $30 (don't remember now). On the other hand, we've had some very inexpensive trips where we make up for it. We never charge less than $10, so on some overnighters, we'll make a few back. By the end of the year, they pretty much balance out.

How much the unit pays vs. how much the participant pays (youth or adult) is going to depend greatly as to how much money the unit has (usually do to fundraising).

If your unit is a great fundraiser, there is more money to pay for stuff. Then you have to decide where the money goes, etc.

Ideally, unit funds should go to things like equipment (tents, group camping gear, etc), and big-ticket items like covering part of the cost of trips like Philmont, etc.

Some troops may cover the entire cost of summer camp for all the scouts, or may only cover some of the cost, or offer 'camperships' for those boys in financial need.

EVERYONE should have to pay SOMETHING for trips/events. This ensure they understand the value. Don't give anyone a free ride.

Adults (to tie in with another thread), should be paying their fair share. If adults are helping to fundraise, they should be covered the same as the youth, but should still pay something. If you have to raise what you charge the boys to cover for the adults, I think that's wrong. (in fact, in many scouting events, the adults may MORE then the youth, to keep THEIR costs lower. Ex: Jamborees, etc)

For adult training events, you can cover all or some of the costs, IF they complete the course. (ie, for WB, they must complete their ticket to get reimbursed). Don't pay upfront, otherwise if something happens and they don't attend, you're not out the money.

For basic weekend camping trips the Troop usually pays any fees associated with the campsite out of troop funds the boys have earned through unit fund raisers. The boys are responsible for working out the cost of food and incidentals(i.e. a movie or other activity). Taking this approach we can offer boys in the troop maybe 10 camping trips a year with no additional payment beyond a nominal troop registration fee and food costs.

We also will occaisionally supplement a special or more expensive weekend trip. We do a ski trip that is more expensive than our usual trips and we will supplement lift fees for the scouts a little. ($10) The goal is to try and give those that might not otherwise participate or try skiing a chance to try the activity, even if they only go once a year.

I don't view this as a give away as the money comes from efforts from the scouts.

We also do summer camp and an additional summer outing. Those are generally revenue neutral activities with the costs born by the scouts/parents. The scouts may use their "commission" they personally earn on fundraising efforts for these activities if they wish.

SA

Since when do scouts go camping at a cineplex?

How about doing the program, oh, never mind. I bet going to the movies is a cool, rad, hip thing that appeals to the youth of today. I guess tons of kids want to go camping and see movies.

I suppose the troop paying something must be on a case by case basis. For example, if the troop wanted to go somewhere that require chartered buses, the troop might pay for the buses. If the troop camps at a place with a fee for youth groups camping area, the scouts who go should build that into the fee., Just my opinion.

What kind of camping do you do that require campsite fees? Up here camping at State and USFS campgrounds is fairly inexspensive like $8 to $20 a night per site. I know of some commercial campgrounds where Troops can stay free in exchange for service to the CG. Of course you must "Be Prepared" for rainy day activities.

Everyone,

Thanks much for the feedback I appreciate it. We usually go camping in State parks of Scout camps, state parks are cheaper but we haven't found anyplace for free. Keep in mind we usually have 4-5 boys on a weekend trip so that is why we discussing costs. For Gonzo I can tell you never have camped in central Wisconsin during deer hunting seanson. I guess would could have taken a hike through the woods instead of going to a movie, which was NOT my idea, we ARE a boy led troop and actually let the boys lead.

The council I grew up in allowed us to use the council camp off-season at no cost. Basically we just stayed in the lean-tos and did patrol cooking. Ask around your area I have faith there must be some land owners who were scouts. Use "catholes" for facilities and always leave it better than you found it. A troop that takes care of someone elses land just might be invited back!

ddhanso,

In our troop we split the costs of a campout evenly among the scouts/adults. We figure in cost for food ($10 per person), gas, and whatever fee may be needed to camp. With the exception of summer camp, white water rafting, and the ski trip planned for January, our monthly campouts rarely cost more than $20 each. Backpacking trips are generally free since the boys/adults buy their own food individually, we don't have to pull the trailer so gas cost is reduced, and we try to find free locations to camp. Those times that a campsite may require a fee, we take that amount out of the Troop treasury.

We have had the good fortune to have camping fees waived at our local State Park and other parks if we arrange in advance to do a service/conservation project for them.

We, too, like to use our Council Camp since it free during the off-season - and a GREAT place to camp.

We are a small troop and haven't had much luck (or interest if truth be told) with fundraising over the years. But, the scouts are making bigger and more exciting campout plans now and will have to start thinking more about fund raising to help keep costs down.

By the way, I see no problem going to the movies as an outing. If the scouts plan it - they can do it. We took our guys to an amusement theme park last summer because it's what they put on the calendar.

ddhanso,

I agree that boy lead is the way to be. I personally don't see going to the movies as a campout activity because it's raining. I have camped at Freeland Leslie in Wisconsin, Also Wolf Lake, but I think Wolf Lake has been sold. We go to BSA/Council properties, National Forests, State Parks and some private property.

Calico you are right I think the point was missed. I live in an affluent area and sometimes (okay most times) I dont have much $ to go on outings. The troop committe could pay for some activities if they have the Dough-ray-me. It would be too bad if the only reason keeping these 2 boys from camping is economics but I know how they feel.

OK, it's admirable that boys are paying for their trip to Philmont. If they have the means, perhaps the boys could push a mower or snow shovel and earn a few bucks. There is popcorn sales out there or some other unit fundraiser also. Maybe the troop could pay for some campouts for the less fortunate, say, every other month or something.

I can see the troop paying for the state park youth group area fees, but check to see if that can be waived with a service project, they're usually fun and they wear out the boys.