Sout Zone Video on youtube now linked at www.savescouting.org

Crew 21, thanks for the well thought out note.

As I said before just above, "There IS much work to do and it is much bigger than just one person to do. My goal is to encourage the national folks in Irving to do what has just been suggested: do focus groups, review materials, handbooks, uniforms, etc. And based upon the recently letters from folks on the National Executive Committee I think the wheels are turning!

Please don't accuse me of complaining. I am suggesting new roads to go to reverse the membership decline, without changing the values of scouting. We can do nothing, and see the program shrivel up and one day blow away. Or we can recongize there is a problem, and creatively work together to change things for the better. I vote for the later!"

Thanks... Brian

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

Thanks for pointing that out - not sure how I could have missed that.

Crew 21,

I'm guessing you are probably scratching your head like I am, after reading the response to your posts. I'm not sure if someone is just looking for a bunch of hits on a web page, or wants to be the saviour so bad they can't see what is happening right in front of their face. No one wanted Scouting to be relevant until a few months ago? No one had reviewed or updated the merit badges or books until then? There weren't any updates to the uniform (Switchbacks?) until a certain web page appeared?

I guess I'm just wondering how the numbers have continued to slip the past 2 years since this Scout-saving video has been available? Me, personally, I just think we need "virtual Scouting" so all of the boys in the country can sit on the sofa at home, never have to wear a uniform, but yet be in Scouts. Just 1 hour a week and you can make Eagle!

Man, there goes that sarcasm thing again. I need to see a doc and get that fixed.

Brent,

Love the "Virtual Scouting" idea! You could be your own Troop & Patrol! Heck POR's would be a no-brainer & imagine the possibilities of merit badges! Couch Surfing, Chip Fetching, Drink Pouring, Clicker Management! The possibilities are endless!

What is a Sout?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I found it!

SOUT is an acronym for Serial OUT!

FScouter,

Not trying to start anything just asking a question. And since I didn't get an answer I did mu own research & found the answer. Thanks for asking.

Hey maybe there could be a Research merit badge!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

While I have to agree that I don't see any new ideas being put forth by Brian on his website, I also think it would be reasonable to lay off on the typo in the thread title (Sout).

Here's one thing I don't understand though. We have this scout zone video which most of us seem to agree is pretty good. I forwarded it to some webelos leaders in my area and a couple said they can't wait to show it to their dens, to help keep the boys excited about scouting and hopefully looking forward to joining a troop in the next year or so. Great! Now someone explain to me why national went to the trouble to make these commercials and yet I've never seen any of them air on TV? Yes I know air time costs money but so does making a commercial, especially one that hardly anyone who isn't already in scouting gets to see. Or maybe it aired regionally? Has anyone ever seen it on TV?

"What is a Sout? "

Ah Ed, you rascal, what a card! How many of us have screwed up a title to a Thread and then upon posting it realize that a word is mispelled but once titled, a thread is set and can't be edited? And even though it has been pointed out numerous times that its poor internet etiquette to harp on typo's, it still goes on. What can I say?

In my area of the country, we do these things (on the video) and more and our numbers keep growing. The uniform doesn't seem to be a problem, although I personally feel it is too expensive and isn't compatible with Action Scouting. I am guessing that numbers dip in various areas for any number of reasons. There never has been a one answer fits all. It may be that specific areas of the country need a happy/sad face review to rethink directions. Program is usually a key but not always. It may be attitude, leadership, lack of resource management, communication, on and on.

I went to Philmont as a Scout in the early sixties. I paid my own way, bought my own equipment, and prepared by planning and carrying out several Troop expeditions. As we reached the New Mexico mountains, I felt like I had gone to Scout Heaven. Today, I view the Philmont website and the program has gone beyond anything I could even hope for as a youth. The idea is that Scout Heaven can be found beyond Philmont, maybe in your own backyard.

I am still 40 years later thankful for the adults that supported our program. fb

Wow, this is great.

Eamonn, is that really you in the video?

Brianbuf, What's with the polo shirts, ipods, gameboys, etc? Follow the advice and YOU recommend your suggestions to national. It seems that the rest of us (for the most part) like the way things are, deliver the promise, have an active, outdoor program. Good luck.

What's you objection to a neckerchief? I think they're nice, especially the custom made ones.

Sout or Scout.... let he who has never ever misspelled a single word cast the first stone.

LisaBob, I am glad you are showing this video to your friends. The entire reason I put this post up was for that purpose.

Seems many folks are very touchy and want to turn this thread into varying topics... from a spelling bee to a discussion on Philmont to the numbers showing on my web page hit counter. Let them have that discussion.

But the entire point (people seem to miss these little things) is to make folks aware of this video. From the sounds of things, many folks were not aware this was around. So enjoy the video and have a great day. And note the music is modern, nothing like we listened to at Wood badge (2 words in these parts).

Brian,

I agree that the video is useful and that the BSA has not done an especially good job of publicizing it, so I appreciate that you and others like Steve are spreading the word. However I really don't think the music is the key selling point, nor do I think it approximates what "modern" teens are listening to, if my middle-school-aged son, his friends, or my college students (many, many freshmen) are any indication of what teens listen to these days - and I do believe they are.

The key point of the video is not the music anyway; it is the activities. As a program, we live or die by the types of activities we offer. If we're known for doing fun things then boys will want to join; if not, they won't join. All the rest is window dressing at best.