Sout Zone Video on youtube now linked at www.savescouting.org

On BSA's site www.scouting.org there is a box to the right with "other BSA sites"; among them is the Scout Zone site by BSA at http://www.thescoutzone.org/ . We (at the troop level and throughout the district) have been promoting the Scout Zone for about a year now, and I think I saw it in Scouting as well as on BSA's site. The nice thing about Scout Zone is that it has games, info on finding a troop, and a bit more. The Nascar theme, by the way, was not for Boy Scouts but rather for Cub Scouts--the Race to Cub Scouting theme was kicked off last year with Nascar being a big part of it.

Added: I wanted to be certain of the sources I sited, so I checked Scouter Magazine, and in the October 2004 edition, the new CD and site Scout Zone were released: "A new CD and a Web site added to Boy Scout membership tools. The BSA's Boy Scout Division has released a new CD and developed a companion Web site, www.thescoutzone.org, to help volunteers and youth members share Scouting's message with interested boys and their parents. The CD includes video testimonials from parents, activity information for youth, and links to national BSA Web sites. CDs have been shipped to councils in sufficient quantities for delivery to all troops. Troop leaders are encouraged to make copies of the CD for their Scouts and troop parents to use in contacting people about joining Scouting. Included in the CD package are promotional cards people can distribute to encourage others to visit the new Web site. The site includes the material on the CD plus a troop locator that allows visitors the opportunity to locate the Boy Scout troops that exist in their vicinity. In addition to these new tools, the specially designed Scout recruiter patch incentive will again be awarded to all Boy Scouts who recruit a new Boy Scout this fall. The patches are supplied at no charge to Boy Scout leaders by the national office through council service centers."

The patches are a nice incentive, something available prior to the above date, but this was a new design.(This message has been edited by bbng)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon Lisabob! Are you blind? The rad rock music not the great Scouting activities that have been around for decades with the Scouts in their traditional uniforms & bolo's is the reason this is such a great video! Ain't no silly nursery rhyme! The only thing that would make the video better is if Terry Labonte buzzed by in is NASCAR vehicle!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

This video was created as a marketing tool, not a commercial. A commercial is a 30 or 60 second spot, this video is 2 min & 23 sec long. W-a-y to long to be a commercial unless it was cut to ribbons.

It was NOT produced in response to Brian's Web site, as much as he would like to believe it was. The BSA Web site, The Scout Zone, has been around for 2 years. Way before Brian started trolling for arguments on various Scout forums. From what I understand, it is comprised of bits of training videos that are even OLDER than 2 years. Perhaps Eamonn could let us know under what circumstances, & when, his picture was taken.

The Scout Zone is a GREAT site. It has a lot of info for prospective families. The video is nice & catchy. As a matter of fact it is rather like OTHER MARKETING EFFORTS by BSA in the last 15 years or so.

SUPRISE! Trying to modernize Scouting is NOTHING NEW!!!! It is an ongoing process that CHANGES CONSTANTLY based on what BSA's marketing experts feel will, or won't, work.

This is a nice video, & it might rev up Webelos a bit to actually give BS a try. Webelos leaders should ask at your local council for a copy of the CD. However, as upbeat as the music is, I would NOT call it "modern music that will reach many main stream boys".

Get real! This is a marketing video Brian, with music by studio performers, NOT Good Charlotte! As a matter of fact, when I asked my Boy Scout son what he thought of it he stated - CORNY! NOT rad, modern, hip, or even anything he would be caught singing around a campfire!

The Scout Zone is BSA's latest promotional vehicle. I feel they did a pretty good job on the Web site. I like it, but since it has not been pushed much by the councils, perhaps that means it has not drawn in the new members like they hoped. What BSA has started promoting with The Scout Zone is that it is useful for completing the new new First Class requirement because it has an e-card the boys can send to friends.

ScoutNut, you are way out of line and off track.

Please tell me when I ever said or claimed "It was NOT produced in response to Brian's Web site, as much as he would like to believe it was."

This video was made before I posted my site.

By the way, does your son the scout like to wear his neckercheif? The answer may show why he did not like the music to this video.

Seriously, most young people who I talked with who have seen this video like it. The activities, the message, and yes, the upbeat music. One young man visiting my office, after I showed him this, said to me last week, "Now if that is scouting, sign me up."

Scoutnut, where did I ever say I thought this was made in response to me or my site? That claim has just never happened. So, if a scout is really honest, you owe me a public appology here. I am waiting.

Brian,

What's your gripe with neckerchiefs?

Many troops use them, some don't, big deal. Almost all cub scouts wear them.

C'mon Gonzo! Neckerchief's ain't rad cool clothing like that bolo tie the Scout in the video is wearing!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

"Brian,

What's your gripe with neckerchiefs?"

I'll address that later... but very briefly... it is an icon from an era long gone.. and it contributes to what one kid called "the dork factor." What other growing youth organization uses neckerchiefs? More on that later.

Lets wait to see if Scoutnut comes clean with me here.

"Thankfully, the new President of BSA, shares my vision"

"My goal is to encourage the national folks in Irving to do what has just been suggested: do focus groups, review materials, handbooks, uniforms, etc. And based upon the recently letters from folks on the National Executive Committee I think the wheels are turning!"

Sounds like lots of back patting to me.

"This is a great video that shows scouting as many of us would like it to be."

You mean to say that there are some of us who DON'T want to go to summer camp, do fun outdoor activities, or go on High Adventure trips?

This video does NOT reflect some modern, hip vision of Scouting that only you, and perhaps an enlightened few like you, share. Many of the clips are from Boy Scout Summer Camps. Many others look like clips from videos shot of a Troop's camping & High Adventure activities. And, since this video is at least 2 years old, these boys have been doing these fun things for quite a bit longer than that. Way before you decided that this is "scouting as many of us would like it to be".

"One young man visiting my office, after I showed him this, said to me last week, "Now if that is scouting, sign me up."

Well, did you sign him up? Because that video IS Scouting. And if it is NOT Scouting in YOUR unit, that is NOT BSA's fault. That is YOUR fault for not delivering a quality program to the youth in YOUR unit.

Simple, and what many of us have been saying all along - If EACH unit would concentrate on delivering the best possible BSA program to THEIR youth many of these problems would solve themselves.

As to my son, I'm not sure what connection wearing a neckerchief has to do with a person's taste in music. Unless of course, you are wearing the necker over your ears!

The music is fine. It is an ADVERTISING JINGLE. I think the jingle does it's job pretty good too. What it is NOT, by a LONG shot, is modern rock music for main stream boys. For that kind of music I'll stick to the theme music from the various CSI TV shows. Now there's main stream rock!

Scout nut,

Wow, way to dodge the issue here!

So, did you appologize for lying about what I claimed somewhere in there?

As far as I see it, you are setting up a smoke screen.

The bottom line is you put forth a claim I never made. (see above post by me). Please come clean with me and all the other readers. You essentially are lying about what I said. And I requested a public appology.

Waiting continues scoutnut.

One kid calls neckerchiefs the "dork factor" and that makes it fact! That's what I call research!

Moderators,

I respectfully request this thread be closed. It's turning to a shouting match and has never really served any purpose.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Gonzo,

You may not have read all of brianbuf's posts, but in one he mentions wearing his uniform, including his WB neckerchief I believe, and his son said he looked like a dork. So, because of one kid's opinion, we need to all get rid of our neckerchiefs. My Troop from my youth had custom ones made which were and are very popular with the boys and adults. They are still using the same design.

FYI brianbuf - the boys in the Troop get to vote on making the neckerchief part of their Troop uniform. If you see a Troop wearing them, it is most likely because the boys decided they want to wear them. Are you going to tell them they can't? Are you aware of all the uses of a neckerchief, especially for first aid?

What about baseball stirrup socks? I'd say they are an icon from an era long gone, but they are still used in Major League Baseball. And what about those 100 year old pinstripe uniforms? Who would want to wear that old design, when they could be wearing some new, modern uniform?? Hey brianbuf, maybe some of us, including the boys, believe in this thing called "tradition." For examples of the above, please see "Yankees fan."

Brent, Brian and Ed,

When I was a boy, my troop had 2 neckerchiefs. Both were the same color, but when a scout joined, he got a blank light blue neckerchief. But, when he earned Tenderfoot, he traded that one for one that was customized with an embroidered patch, town name, troop number. We all wore them. Today, my old troop still uses them with the same tradition.

BTW, I kinda like the 'newer cowboy hat' as well as the old campaign hat. Brian, I have both!

In fairness I think a lot of boys probably could care less about wearing the neckers and some would almost certainly cheer a decision to get rid of them. That's not even intended as scientific evidence but I think there's enough anecdotal evidence out there to suggest that neckers are not wildly popular. As for boys voting to get rid of them - yes, they might be able to do so in a truly boy-led troop, assuming of course that they're determined to buck "tradition" as supported by a lot of adult leaders. Of course we also know that there are many troops which are not boy led to this degree.

While I don't find Brian's proposals to be substantive enough to be truly useful or to merit debate (it is hard to debate the merits of proposals that never get past generalizations) and I don't understand his fixation on neckers as a key issue, I also don't see how it is helpful or useful to gang up on him for bringing up the necker concern, as if boys everywhere are actually clamoring for the things. Let's get past it folks and talk about more substantively interesting topics.

Gonzo,

[sarcasm on]

Yeah but that is so then! The Scouts of today want iPods & video games & cool icons & NASCAR! Didn't you see them in the video?

[sarcasm off]

What I saw in the video was Scouts in class A uniforms & class B uniforms hiking, biking, fishing, tenting, shooting, cooking, sailing & all the things Scouts have been doing for decades! And this video is a couple years old!

[sarcasm on]

But wait! Scouting is declining! But this rad cool video with the Scout in full class A uniform & bolo tie is supposed to save Scouting!

[sarcasm off]

Never liked the campaign hats, Gonzo. Our Troop has special neckerchiefs we use for special occasions. The kids like 'em.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

The neckerchief has become a tradition. Boys like traditions. I enjoyed the video from National that provided us with a realistic look of the programming in Scouting. The uniforms are representative of Scouting today. The music was good. Scouting moves ahead as always. fb