Two Pals have a falling out.

I still keep in contact with my Scouting pals back home in England.

I have now been "Stateside" for over 22 years. Many of the people who were active 22 years ago are still active.

During my absence Scouting back home has changed a lot. I have not really kept up with all the changes, but from what I see most of the changes have to do with age groups, going coed and a move from advancement to participation.

On a local level, my dear 17th Fulham (Pioneers) is gone, the Fulham District is gone, the Greater London Central County has been completely reorganized.

I have to admit one of the reasons I moved was that I was able to make a lot money by selling my house when I did.

Today house prices in that area are out of sight: Terraced 425,400

Semi 516,900

Flat 256,700

The people who live there either don't have kids or if they do they pack them off to boarding school.

When it came to reorganizing a pal of mine who had been a longtime Fulham Scouter was asked to make a report with recommendations. This he did and I think he was as fair as he could be.

The District was very wealthy due to having been left houses and buildings, it just didn't have any Scouts.

My other pal who never married and lived at home with his Mum is very upset and sees the reorganization as a hatchet job. He is now mad and upset with the report, the reorganization and his ex-pal.

This really is a shame.

The guy who did the report did so because he was asked, he didn't wake up one day and take it on himself. The fact that it needed doing because the District was on it's last legs is beside the point.Sure there are a lot of old timers still Scouting in the area.

I was surprised to the fellow who was my Cubmaster is still Scouting!! Some have an idea that the wealth of the District needs to stay in the District and all sorts of emotions come into play.

Change happens.

Every year I dread the coming of winter, I dislike being cold. Yet I look forward to watching the dogs play in the snow or Rory sliding on frozen puddles. I never used to take being cold very seriously until I got Rory, now I know that I have to go out for our big long walk every day I have taken steps to ensure that I dress for the cold. I still don't enjoy winter, but I'm better prepared for it.

One of the best things about going to camp was always having an open fire. Now that I'm in Sea Scouting, we don't get to camp that much and rarely have a fire, I still miss it but have moved on.

One day I don't know when? A new Scout uniform will come along, I somehow think it will resemble the uniforms used by fast food restaurants! Sure it will be very high tech. But I can't wait to hear the comments.

We can and should learn from the way things once were, but to live in the past and not move on is just silly.

Falling out with a friend is even sillier.

Eamonn.