Greetings from OK

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so just stopping by to say "Hey"

I'm a new Cub Master to a pack out here in the backwaters of OK, just outside of Tulsa. I was Den Leader for our Wolf Den, then asked to be Pack Trainer. Now I'm Cub Master and DL for our Bears (starting June). I hope to get some good advice and tips from all you experienced CM's here - I'm excited about being CM and look forward to doing my best to live up to the responsibility.

Thx and see ya on the boards. :)

Hello Anne from South Carolina. I was Cubmaster for many years and it was one of my favorite leader positions. I can tell you that I just can't imagine how you are going to be CM and a Den Leader at the same time. Each position requires a great deal of work and organization.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and good luck with your Cubs!

Thx for the welcome :)

I don't know how I'm going to be a DL and Cub Master at the same time either LOL :o -- it certainly is a lot of work.

Right now I don't really have a choice as we have a shortage of leaders, but I'm hoping we can recruit some new leaders soon so that the DL part of it will just be temporary for me.

Our CC is doubling temporarily as our Wolf leader and our COR is our Webelos leader. Just the reality of things I'm afraid, we're working on recruiting new leaders as I write this so that we can all concentrate on doing a good job for the roles we were recruited for.

We need a Tiger DL too - and I somehow see one of us taking on that role temporarily too. Any tips on successfully recruiting new leaders will be very welcome! ;D Does the BSA have a "Warehouse of Leaders" we can order from? hehe If only it were that easy.

Anne,

all those scouts have a parent or guardian. Your leaders should come from that pool. Ask them directly rather than a general "we need leaders" approach. Who shows up regularly and stays through meetings? They would be your first target.

It is usually necessary to have the leaders in place before you form a den. I know it's kind of an ambush approach, but at school nights we always mentioned that without adult leaders, there would be no den. At least, that's the way it was done in my cub days.

As to your Tiger Den needing a leader, at least for now each Tiger must have an adult partner present for meetings and outings. So, here you have an entire group of adults to ask.

Also stress to all the adults that their sons deserve good den leaders that can deliver the scouting program. Let them know that they don't have to know it all - there is training, the Internet, and more printed materials than the US Government.

And, after all, shouldn't they all want to spend that quality time helping their sons grow and participate with them in all the fun.

-that last bit has always been successful when I was at school nights recruiting cubs and adult leaders.

Thx gwd :)

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer me - I'm going to give your advice a try. We have a round-up coming up on the 24th - we have only 11 boys in our Pack (8 Wolves, 2 Bears and 1 Webelos).

Our pack has found, also, that making a general announcement doesn't usually garner any volunteers for us. We've had better luck talking directly to a person and telling him/her that we feel he/she would be great for the position.

If your pack has extra leader books, be sure to offer those. It might be worth the pack's money to invest in extra books so the new leaders have reference material right away. I had to buy all of my own books, but I have made sure, since then, that all new leaders have a copy of the current leader's manual.

Thx for the great suggestion about the reference material FunScout. :)

I have more Cub Master'ng questions, but I'll ask them in the "Cub Scouts" topic area.

Thx again for the friendly welcome.

Scout Greetings,

Anne

Welcome to the forums Anne. You've gotten some good advice. I also have found that individual recruitment is much more effective. Look at the needs you have, and then go look for parents that can help fill the void. General announcements are usually ineffective, and you run the risk of having the "wrong" person step up.