The other day I asked a kid I work with about joining my crew and he seemed interrested the problem is he is 19 and smokes. Now in my Troop several adult leaders including myself smoke but we don't let the youth see us we use this time to dissus topics at campouts away from the kids. How can I handle this situation where this guy is aloud to smoke by law but it would be best if he didn't on camp outs? I know adults shouldn't smoke either but I'm the youngest leader at 29 and we are all to addited to quit (even for a weekend).This guy would be a good adition to my crew but I don't want to give him privalages other crew members don't have like hang with adults during our smoking time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "crew" do you mean a Venturing Crew, or do you mean you intend to sign him up as an Assistant Scoutmaster? If you plan to sign him up as an ASM in the Troop, he is an adult, just as you are. If it's a Venturing Crew, the Guide to Safe Scouting clearly prohibits smoking by youth members.

But I've gotta ask you, what makes you think he's less addicted than you are?

Here's another hypothetical...you identify a good adult (over 21) who would make a good leader for your unit. But, he says, "I'm an alcoholic, and too addicted to quit. I'll need to sneak off into the woods every 2 hours or so for a beer to calm my nerves. It's legal, so I hope you don't mind."

From the Guide to Safe Scouting

: The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members.

Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants 

There isnt really a question , the youth may not smoke while on a Crew activity, and neither should the adults. However, things being what they are, its up to the adults to enforce the policy

Simply tell this adult that even though he can legally smoke, he wont be able to smoke on your outings? doesnt seem that complicated to me...

But as someone who just passed the 4 weeks mark without having a smoke, after 8 years of smoking, take this as a good time to quit, quit as a group.

One of the main reasons I quit was because I didnt want to be "that guy" sneaking off to feed some nicotine addiction every few hours on scouting events..

I smoked about a pack and a half of camel filters a day for more than 8 years. Dont waste money on the patch, gum, etc, just quit cold turkey, It sucks for a week, but if you get past the week its easy..

Its also easy if you just stop buying them ;)

I AGREE THAT ADULTS SHOULD NOT SMOKE ON CAMPOUTS BUT LETS BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES IF YOU TAKE SMOKERS OUT OF SCOUTING THE RANKS WOULD PRETTY SLIM AND I THINK WE ALL KNOW ADULTS SMOKING AT CAMP OUTS WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. AS FOR THE ALCOHOL STATMENT THERE IS A PRESADENT FOR SMOKING NOT DRINKING AND DO YOU REALLY THINK SMOKE INHIBITS YOUR THINKING LIKE ALCOHOL? LETS COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES HERE.IN MY OPTION IF SOMEONE WANTS TO SMOKE FINE JUST DON'T ADDVERTISE IT TO THE YOUTH.I JUST WAS WONDERING HOW TO DEAL WITH A YOUTH WHO SMOKES.

I am sure you realize that capitals denote yelling. You came here, asked for opinions and you got them. Why you are upset I am not sure. I gave you the BSA policy which I tend to do when people ask a question and there is a BSA policy. Whether or not you follow it is up to you

Venture Robb:

Are we talking of a 19 year old Venturer, in the context of the youth program of Scouting?

OR

Are we talking of a 19 year old who has registered as an adult leader in Cub or Boy Scouting?

The G2SS is absolute black and white in regards to the youth program.

The G2SS is still black and white as regards adult leaders. That said, its implementation in the field is a bit "shade of gray"ish.

Sad, but true.

"If you take the smokers out of Scouting the ranks would [be] pretty slim." (emphasis removed)

Not sure this is true at all. Of the 30+ registered adults in our unit, I don't think there is a single smoker. Maybe some do in private, but I've never witnessed this on any campout or at any meeting. These days, I think smokers are 1) much more aware and considerate of others, and 2) just aren't as common as they used to be. just my observations ...

I have to agree with OGE. I'm also not clear on why VentureRobb is upset, if he IS in fact. Tobacco is bad and no honest person is denying that anymore. An addiction that can't be set aside for a weekend is a bad addiction whether it's to nicotine or to heroin. And frankly, sneaking off with a needle for a fix would not be much different, just illegal...I liked scoutldr's response.

"I'm the youngest leader at 29 and we are all to addited to quit (even for a weekend)" is simply a BS self-deception. Quitting or holding off is hard to do therefore you're conjuring up a convenient excuse for not doing it.

I have friends twice your age who quit successfully this year...cold turkey (congratulations, madmike!). These were two or more packs a day Camel smokers. If they did it, anyone can. But you know this already, you're simply not willing to do what it takes. This may seem harsh but I sense that getting you to see the truth will take something harsh.

Edited part: Sorry, madmike, I didn't mean to imply that you're twice his age.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

sorry about the caps my capslock was on. I'm not upset and maybe the addition thing was an escuse but to be honest I think adults have a right to smoke and it is accepted in my district as long as it's not seen by the youth. I can see the difference in a venture crew member smoking though and just wondered what to do with him. I know adults should not be smoking either but I don't see that changing but what would be fair as the crew member is concered. I also aprciate the opions I get on this site it has really helped me is so many areas since I am so new to scouting and I don't know the rules all I know is what I see other leaders doing and sometimes thats not the best way to learn.

"I can see the difference in a venture crew member smoking though and just wondered what to do with him."

There is only one option...you tell him that according to BSA policy, he is considered a Youth member, and tobacco use by youth is not permitted at any BSA function, whether visible or not.

Robb, just so you know I wasnt trying to imply any "better than though" that a lot of folks on these scouting sites seem to do, I was just seeing myself in your post (I'm 33) I was just trying to throw the "quit" bug in your ear...

But its been a month, and that nicotine must be some strong stuff, cause there havent been many days that I havent had "the urge"...

I think that answers the policy question. The conundrum of tobacco use remains, though, and it exists partly because of the way we understand or define, 'addiction'.

Here is a paper that expands on this. Warning, it is rather long:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3733/is_200104/ai_n8953244/pg_1

If smokers are truly addicted, then the behavior of tobacco use is a self-perpetuated destructive behavior that should not be condoned at all by scouting as a role model.

If smokers are not truly addicted, then their claims to the contrary are not credible and they should quit. But, as the article indicates, it isn't that simple.