• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miki101,

I'm not close enough to Texas to make that a real option (-:

And at any rate, just knowing the membership numbers isn't enough. We'd need to know how many boys left and how many new boys joined during any period for this exercise. Does the museum include those numbers? They would have to distinguish between new applications and those who are renewing their membership.

Oak Tree

What? We have to be trying to show something in order to post on the forum? Well, shoot. That would take out a lot of posts. I'd miss all of OGE's puns.

Brent said the NESA row reminds him of his stupidity every time he sees it. For me, I have a similar reaction every time I hear someone repeat this incorrect information on Eagle percentage. Whenever I hear it, I don't think, "Yes, Eagle is really hard to earn and is a great accomplishment." I think, "There's the BSA incorrectly reporting those numbers again." It's just one of those minor irritants in life, and I don't see any good reason for the BSA not to state the information correctly. It's just like the membership numbers - I don't think the BSA should distort them.

And also, I'll say that even if it's 15% of Scouts who earn Eagle, that's still a pretty noteworthy accomplishment.

And Miki, I still don't see how I could interpolate the numbers of numbers of boys joining and leaving from the gross membership statistics. Can you give me an example? How many new boys joined in 2006?

Thanks,

Oak Tree

Miki,

That's a pretty useful number. It seems like it's in line with what I'd expect, based on national Webelos membership.

Is there someplace on-line where we can see the data you used to get that number? Is that March thru November? If the data's not on-line, can you describe what the data is? And would you happen to have the data for any recent 12-month period? I'd expect there might be a big bump in February as boys cross over.

Thanks,

Oak Tree

Maybe if you would spend more time working within your unit we would have less scouts just give up because scouts it is boring, uncool or just decide that being an Eagle scout has lost its luster, like a scout that posts here.

Which would raise the percent.

Sorry I cannot help, nor do I want to, those think being an Eagle scout today is to easy, does not mean anything, you should vote with your feet.

These are the units fault, when I say unit I mean YOU.

Hello,

In regards to the original question of this post about adult Eagle Rank...since the Adult can not earn the Eagle no more, my suggestion is for you to look into Woodbadge training as some folks would say to complete your tickets is like complete 3-4 Ealge projects.

YIS,

Dellas

Maybe if you would spend more time working within your unit we would have less scouts just give up because scouts it is boring, uncool or just decide that being an Eagle scout has lost its luster, like a scout that posts here.

Yah, I dunno, eh?

Most scouts would find it kinda fun to catch a bunch of adults in a math error.

And most scouts would be turned off by adults who "dissed" their colleagues in a personal way, eh?

Points 5&6, mate. Points 5&6.

Food for thought!

I was a Scoutmaster for 8 years. I had 66 youth go through the troop program in those 8 years. 19 of the youth in the program earned the Eagle Rank. The percentage is 29%. You can use the same calculation for national numbers. Total number of youth in Scouting over the last five years. Total number of Eagle Scout ranks earned over the last 5 years. Divide the number of Eagle Scouts over the last 5 years by the total number of youth that have gone through the program and you have your number.

Dancin