Sikh Religious knot??

"The square knot is a BSA emblem and can only be awarded for those faiths on the list."

Sorry, Ed, but unless you can post a specific quote that states that the square knot is for earning ONLY one of the BSA RECOGNIZED religious emblems, I must disagree with you.

From what I can find in the Insignia Guide, this knot may be worn by any Scout or Scouter that completed a religious emblem program as a youth member. Not a "BSA APPROVED" religious emblem, but simply a religious emblem program.

While the actual emblem itself is not allowed to be worn, as long as the religious program was completed while a youth member, the silver on purple square knot can be worn.

WOW!!! What a great response. I will let him know that he will need to talk with his local place of worship and his leader to find out what (if any) medal or award the Sikh religion offers that would qualify for his religious knot. I am just amazed that this has not been addressed by BSA and the Sihk organization earlier.

But thanks again. You have given the answers I needed.

Dax

The chart of awards is at:

http://www.scouting.org/awards/religious/awards/index.html

The lead-in begins with:

"This chart lists all Religious Emblems Programs available to members of the Boy Scouts of America."

I have interpreted "available" as "recognized". If the UUSO award is recognized, why isn't it listed on this chart?

The way this is worded does leave it open to interpretation. I think this particular issue is going to be a judgement call on the part of the unit leader.

Ed.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...
There is news about a Sikh Religious Award as of 2013. Information about the details of the requirements are slow to come out. What I really like, though, is that it is available to non-Sikh's in terms of learning about the religion.

See: http://www.worldsikhcouncil.org/press/2013/05Nov2013.html

Cool that is great news! "Boy Scouts of America Approves Sikh Religious Award in Consultation with WSC-AR"