Requiring Proof of Training to use Camp

Last night at Roundtable they had Health and Safety Training.

During the session a SM said that they had rented cabins at another nearby councils camp for a weekend trip.

Before they council would give final approval for the cabin rental the Troop was required to submit a copy of either the training record or training cards for 2 adult leaders showing they had taken the had Health and Safety Training in the previous 2 years.

He said that they were also required to show in a similar mannor that any adult that would be staying overnight had taken YPT in the last 2 years.

I hadnt heard about this before nor have any of the troops I have been with that has gone to another councils camp been asked for these before.

Has anyone else run into this?

In Texas to reserve a campsite and secure a tour permit the pack, troop, crew, or group must prove that every adult going on a trip must have a current Youth Protection Card. Also the designated leader must also have BALOO or OWL or whatever is the approved camp type training to get there site request. While entereing many scout camps they ask to see adults YPT cards, thats why we have them in a business card folder left in our scout shirt pocket. Its all for the protection of the kids and to make sure that the scout program is really being taught with some consistity.

"to make sure that the scout program is really being taught with some consistity."

I'm sorry I don't see how anyone taking YP Training does this?

Our YP training has gone a long way to protect both the Scouts we serve and the adults who do the serving . But it is what it is!! Let's not get carried away with thinking it is any more than a training in a specific area.

While Councils can make whatever rules they feel are good for the properties they own or manage, I can see that these rulings can prevent Scouts receiving certain programs at certain times. Eamonn.

In ALL Councils, in order to have a Local Tour Permit approved the following is required -

If you are participating in any NATIONALLY conducted event than ALL REGISTERED adults who are participating must have completed BSA Youth Protection training.

For any other kinds of events at LEAST 1 REGISTERED adult participating must have completed Youth Protection training.

(The state of Texas licenses ALL Summer & Day Camps in the state. Texas now requires ALL adults, 18 and older, who are staffing, attending or visiting a Summer or Day Camp, to have a current (within 2 yrs) YPT card from a state approved YPT course. BSA's online YPT has been approved by the state of Texas for this purpose.)

If you are a PACK doing a PACK OVERNIGHTER, you must have 1 adult who has completed BALOO training attending the overnighter. The trained adult's name, age & date of BALOO training is required on the permit.

If you are doing SWIMMING then a Safe Swim Defense trained adult must attend. The trained adult's name, age & date of Safe Swim Defense training is required on the permit.

If you are doing BOATING then a Safe Swim Defense & a Safety Afloat trained adult must attend. The trained adult's name, age & date of training is required on the permit. You must also have 1 adult who is CPR trained attending. The CPR trained adult's name, age, name of agency which provided the training & date training expires is required on the permit.

If you are doing CLIMBING/RAPPELLING then a Climb on Safely trained adult must attend. A requirement of that training is that someone in the group attending the activity must be certified in American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR & have taken First Aid-When Help is Delayed. The trained adult's name, age & date of the Climb on Safely training is required on the permit. You must also have 1 adult who is CPR trained attending. The CPR trained adult's name, age, name of agency which provided the training & date training expires is required on the permit.

These are the ONLY trainings REQUIRED by NATIONAL to obtain a Local Tour Permit. OWL (Webelos leader outdoor training) & IOLS (SM Outdoor training (North Star)) are NOT REQUIRED by National to take Webelos dens or Boy Scout Troops camping.

Your INDIVIDUAL COUNCIL might require more training, however I have never seen any examples of this. If your Council REQUIRES additional training (New Leader Essentials, Leader Specific, etc) to receive a Local Tour Permit, please post a link to it so that I can take a look. Thanks!

Scoutnut,

VERY NICE Posting.

Your comments exactly match a conversation I had with someone from National last month.

To everyone else; you might want to print a copy of Scoutnut's post, forget about everything you see in print....Her comments are accurate and up to date.

I might add that National now requires a Baloo trained person on any Cub Scout/Webelos overnighter. Even if you're going to a Battleship or a Museum! If you are going to be staying overnight, you have to have the Baloo trained person.

I have not kept up with all the Cub Scout Camping requirements.

I have to think that a Webelos Scout Den Leader who has taken the Webelos Den Leader Outdoor Training wouldn't need BALOO Training when taking Webelos Scouts away.

Our Council Camp sites are very close to home. Most local units do not file a Tour Permit to use the camps (I'm talking Boy Scouts). In fact a quick call to the Service Center is about all that is needed. When there are Scouts in camp a Member of the Campmaster Team is assigned to be at the camp.

I can't help wondering how these Councils who have extra requirements manage Patrol Camps?

Eamonn.

The Heath and Safety training that was given consisted of a Video, a discussion of the Sandwich principle and some handouts. We were also split into 4 groups and were given scenarios to discuss. Other topics covered were the Risk Zone which talked about traveling with Scouts. It ended with going the other training that was available, such as Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, Climb on Safety

The handouts had Boy Scouts of America printed on them and the training card issued was not the generic training card but had BSA Health and Safety training with places for a Name and the trainers signature. The back had the sandwich principle and the card number (190-10).

I dont think this is just for our council as the SM said that it was required to rent a cabin in another council.

Doing a Google search also shows Heath and Safety training as available (and required) on some council Web sites.

ScoutNut The required training had nothing to do with obtaining a tour permit but was required before a council would allow a unit to use its facilities.

Our council does not have these requirements but as of September all new leaders (or any leader that is new to their position) must have NLE, YPT (within the last 2 years) and position specific to register next year.

I can't help wondering how these Councils who have extra requirements manage Patrol Camps?

I think this really shows how few Troops actually have Patrols do Camping or activities on their own.

I found a description of this course on the Scouting magazine Web site:

http://scoutingmagazine.org/issues/9809/d-news.html

Scouting--September 1998

News Briefs:

New training emphasizes safety at unit level

A new council health and safety course, for unit leaders and district and council staff, focuses on safety at the unit level. Emphasizing the fact that most serious injuries and fatal accidents in Scouting happen at that level, the 90-minute course is designed to:

* help unit leadership understand and accept responsibility for the well-being and safety of Scouts in their care during unit activities.

* identify areas of risk in Scouting activities, especially at the unit level, and define key safety procedures for each activity.

* acquaint unit leaders with BSA resource materials for planning safe activities.

* introduce the "Sandwich Principle" in BSA safety--that Scouting safety is produced when "sandwiched" between a "cover" of leaders who provide qualified supervision and a "foundation" of discipline.

The course features a new 10-minute video, "Scouting Safety...Begins With Leadership" (No. AV-09V025). The tape presents unit situations involving automobile travel, boating, and hiking, pointing out how strict adherence to BSA safety guidelines and practices can prevent tragedies in each case.

The training also includes a review of the "Guide to Safe Scouting" (BSA Supply No. 34416A), the contents of which include key BSA safety policies (each of which is also available as a separate document): "Sweet 16 of BSA Safety"(Bin No. 19-130), "Safe Swim Defense" (Supply No. 34370A), "Safety Afloat" (No. 34368A), "BSA Bike Safety" (Bin No. 19-101), and "Climb On Safely" (Supply No. 3206).

Other course content includes a review of standards found in "Tours and Expeditions" (No. 33737B) and the careful driving and vehicle maintenance practices needed to avoid entering motoring's "Risk Zone" (see Scouting magazine, May-June 1998, pages 10-11).

Participants completing the course receive/sign a Health and Safety Commitment Card. All leaders will be urged to repeat the training once a year.

I found the Scouting--September 1998 article, but that was about all I found.

Seems to me that the time has come to gather all these "Training's" into one place and have the people who need them take them all at once or at least if they are on line training, on the same web page?

The way things are going my "One hour a week" will be taken up making sure that I know how to save everyone that I'm not going to have time to do anything with the Scouts. While doing nothing is a very safe non-activity it doesn't help in other areas.

I think I'll go and have a saucer of milk now!!

Eamonn.