Does anyone have a nice simple survey?

I am the new Chaplin for our troop and I want to do a simple survey of the boys for their religious affiliation/preference. I want to ask so I can respect their beliefs and practices. I 'think' everyone is Christian, but

I also do not want to hurt/upset anyone by asking. This can be a touch-e subject.

Does anyone have a sample survey I could use?

Thanks

Unless your Chartering Organization has a policy of accepting only families from a particular faith, what does it matter? I would proceed on the assumption that the unit is diverse and not spend time trying to identify the one Jewish Scout or the one Buddhist or the one family which doesn't fit into a traditional faith category. In other words, for invocations and services, use non-sectarian prayers.

Trevorum

Why does it matter?

Do you feel you need to specialize your prayers to serve each scout/religion?

Do you feel you need to proselytize to non-Christians?

Do you feel that your scout troop needs be sectarian?

How does your CO feel about it?

Our CO is a Methodist Church, only 1 of our scouts belongs to that church. If your CO was an LDS Church, however, I expect them to wish you to promote the LDS faith. Different approachs to scouting.

Seems you are walking a fine line that doesn't need to be walked. Keep your prayers non-sectarian, fulfill your role with an open mind and heart.

cmckean: mega dittoes:

Welcome to the electronic crackerbarrel (a better appellation, I think. Fire tends to melt circuitboards. Check out some of the socio-political discussions here, and marvel that we have escaped meltdowns more than once).

I was privileged to serve in the Chaplain Corps at the last Jambo. I was most gratified to see such a cooperative and accepting group of faithful men (and women). I was part of a very desparate group. And I never once saw or heard one faith disparaged at the expense of another. More stories about that another time...

We had a survey that was as inclusive as I could imagine. It was very upfront, asking "with what faith do you best identify youself"

and then listing maybe 40 religions names and 'other'! I don't remember the exact breakdown or census count, but you might contact the Relationships Committee at National and ask them.

Now if I could only find that phone number...

So, Unless your CO somehow limits membership to one faith (see particular threads about Catholic Troops),

I don't think I would go fishing. These subjects generally come up either at the best, most opportune time, or at the absolutely worst of times. Either way you (as the Chap) may well be very surprised ("OOO, I didn't think...") or very amused (" well, I never would have guessed, Oh well...") or led to some very interesting conversations ("Wow, Really? Do you mean..." )("ya know, I never would have thought of that.").

So what have you got to lose? You end up challenged and your own faith is reinforced or redefined,

or perhaps you help reinforce or redefine someone elses,

or at the very least you gain in knowledge about myriad parts of God's creation.

In the mean time, I agree non-denominational "Scouts Own" services are a challenging, fun thing to attempt. Check out the various "Chaplain" links herein.

""May the Great Scoutmaster of all Scouts be with you til we meet again"""

YiS

Yes welcome!

I agree with the others. This is a very touchy subject and you seem to understand that.

I think you can assume members of the unit meet the membership requirements of the BSA and should plan accordingly.

The only time I have been asked to state the denomination of my faith in writing was applying for a visa to go to Saudi Arabia. I was somewhat offended only because the only other time I could even reference such a question on an official form was in a passage in the "Winds of War" by Herman Wouk where he descibed a character filling out a government form in Germany in the 1930's that asked such a question.

SA

I dunno...

Seems like it'd be nice if boys were encouraged to pursue religious emblems/awards, and the only way to do that is to know somethin' about their faith so as to know how to direct them.

Might also be nice to celebrate holidays of different religious traditions when they fall on troop meetings and campouts.

I think bein' Reverent means bein' respectful and open and sharing about religion, not treating any talk of it as taboo.

We keep track of who's what in our troop to be sure to support the families by getting each scout to the right service at the right time. )or back home in time to atend their own church, temple or what ever).

Also want to know for special food requirements

Though it really doesn't matter in general if boys are of different faiths, etc. it might be nice to know at least if there are boys with dietary concerns..which might give you a clue and also lead to a discussion with the patrols about meal planning around those too. You could also work issues like food allergies into that discussion too, which would not make it stand out as a question of religious preferences.

sue

This is coming from someone who has strict dietary rules and sabbath times to honor. It is nice when someone asks about what you eat and what you follow. I have been on many camping trips where the food that was prepared, I could not eat due to it being against my beliefs. I would far prefer someone asked. It doesn't insult me, nor do I find it touchy. Our troop meets at the Methodist Church, but we have only a couple of Methodist boys. Some are Catholic, Presbytarian,Buddhist, and other religions, and there are boys who don't attend church at all. We have visited some of California's Missions and have attended each others church services to see how/what the differences are. I think it has brought us even closer as a troop. We agree to disagree on subject, but still get along. We are all scouts.

May I offer a format, something your Aide can easily use...

Dear____________________,

Please take this home, share with your parents, and return to me.

Troop XXX wants to help you with your duty to God, and help you honor the Twelfth Point of the Scout Law. Would you please tell us:

What major religious grouping (Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist or ?) do you belong to?

What more specific denomination (Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Conservative, Sunni, Sikh, Lutheran, LDS or ?) do you belong to?

Where do you worship?

Place_______________________________

Address_____________________________

Phone_______________________________

Worship Leader's Name_________________________________

Are there any special restrictions upon you by virtue of your faith we need to know about?

Thanks for helping us help you.

Yours in Scouting,

Chaplain's Aide

NOTE using the Chaplain's Aide. Give your young man in his POR some responsibility to fill. :)