When a scout turns 18...

I guess we've always just done it wrong, but were never told different and didn't realize any different. I guess we let logic take over. When we have one turn 18, they fill out an adult app, take YPT, and get registered as unit college scouter reserve and we let them participate with the scouts, they just can't sleep in a tent with the scout. Generally, it's just for a couple months and through the summer until they head off to college, trade school or whatever they do.  IMHO, all of this lawyer type rules is part of the thing that's ruining scouting and ruining leaders who don't want to lead anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO every issue should be reviewed to confirm that. I do not think we should take comfort by saying, to paraphrase, "We have the best YP...". I would rather hear We are constantly reviewing our

We had sort of a blow up over this.  Scouts BSA unit.  Scout turned 18 in Nov/Dec.  Friends would not turn 18 until sometime the next year.  Wanted to stay in the unit, but in a way where they could s

The worse part of what we are led to believe is that technically they also cannot hang with friends outside of scouting that do not meet the age restrictions.  This is one of the many muddied interpre

Posted Images

On 4/4/2024 at 12:41 PM, acco40 said:

Understood but is the new G2SS rules practical?  For example, I've taken Scouts to public places that don't have separate restrooms for youth and adults.  How should that be handled if one wants to follow the proverbial letter of the law?

A lot of public places like museums and larger stores have a family option that is a single private room. Parks as well as town and school playing fields often have single stall porta-johns most months of the year. I've gotten to where I can find them almost anywhere within driving distance in my region although it might be different elsewhere.