I'm working on some handouts for Webelos parents on how to pick a boy scout troop. Some of what I've pulled off the internet as far as evaluating troops says under Troop Leadership: "Troops can be run by the scouts, by the adult leaders or some combination thereof." Is that true?? I didn't think there was a choice there.... I always though boy scout troops were supposed to be boy lead.

So then the question is, should I include the "types" of leadership for troops in a flyer to the Webelos parents? I feel that by doing so I am then promoting "Adult Tun Troops" as acceptable and normal... and I'm not so sure I want to do that.

Here is that whole section from what I pulled off the internet which was called: Guide for Selecting A Boy Scout Troop. I liked the piece otherwise but this section sent up a red flag for me:

Troop Leadership:

Troops can be run by the Scouts, by the Adult leaders or some combination thereof.

-Troops that are run by Scouts develop strong leadership skills but can be somewhat chaotic at times while the boys are learning these skills.

-Adult run Troops are more structured and predictable but offer less opportunity for Scouts to learn by leading.

-Areas where the leadership ownership must be determined within a Troop may include running the weekly meetings, establishing the annual calendar, organizing outings, and conducting the rank advancement classes

I'm a Cub Leader but I do talk with Boy Scout Leaders often. In many cases you will find Troops with a combination of a boy-led and adult-led structure. Boy-led is the ideal model of a Boy Scout Troop with the SM and ASM's serving as advisors.

Seasoned troops will have boy-led structure. Brand new troops with all new scouts will have more of an adult-led scenario because the boys are not yet ready. The goal of every Troop should be to work toward a boy-led structure to help them develop leadership skills.

I'd consider the passage you quoted as being destructive to Scouting in that it legitimizes adults assuming control.

Read through the Scoutmaster Handbook, PL and SPL Handbooks. The troop characterics you find there I think you will find are far better than alternative personal opinions pulled from the internet.

You could probably edit this passage to make it more palatable.

-Adult run Troops are more structured and predictable but offer less opportunity for Scouts to learn by leading. This is not the model promoted by Baden-Powell or the Boy Scouts of America. It should be noted that some younger troops have a higher percentage of adult leadership. However, these troops should have a plan to migrate away from adult leadership as soon as it is reasonable."

I agree with FScouter...I see no real advantage in promoting or even mentioning "other models" of leadership! JMO, but the goal is to teach and provide leadership opportunities to boys and I think that should be more of the focus of what you put into your handouts. Desribe the model troop as envisioned by B-P and just encourage Cubs to visit various troops and choose the one that feels right for them without getting too much into the nitty-gritty of troop leadership styles! I think that only confuses both the boys and the adults..especially if these adult go on to become future troop leaders!

If you want to focus on variation in troops, perhaps it could be more along the lines of the differences in troop activities and encourage parents and scouts to explore those more. JMO though..

sue m.

CAN a Troop be run by adults? -- Yes this is true.

SHOULD a Troop be run by adults? -- No it should not.

The adults who are running the troop may think they are doing the right thing, but they are not. They should be giving the boys every opportunity to make decisions for themselves - and to see the consequences of their decisions. This falls directly in line with the mission of scouting - to prepare these boys to make the right choices in life. This can only be accomplished when the boys run things.

The wording of your internet passage is misleading. It makes it seem as though either choice is acceptable when one is not. When your Webelos visit a troop, make note of who is leading the boys. If it is the adults, then you should start asking questions. If the adult leaders don't trust the boys to do the leading and think it will lead to chaos, then why? Are the adult leaders trained and have they properly trained the youth leaders to do their jobs? An adult led troop is a sure sign of a lack of training all around.

Yah, I agree with most of da posters, but I think it's all a matter of degree. I see plenty of troops that claim to be "boy run" but that I would consider more adult-directed. And I've seen a few troops that are boy run in a Lord of the Flies kinda way.

The message yeh want to convey is that troops are different in how they use and view the methods.

A few are strict, 100%, inspected uniform all the time everywhere. Some do some local uniform adaptations. Some are more relaxed, saving full uniform for ceremonies. A few are shirts only.

Similarly, in a few troops the boys plan the calendar, set the dues, manage the budget and the checkbook, set the policies, handle most advancement, and have the primary voice in selecting the adult leaders. In many troops, the adults determine the finances, policies, leadership, and advancement, and youth leadership is more limited to meeting and outing details. In a few troops, the adults handle many meeting/outing details, too, and youth leadership is limited to more token things like making the duty roster.

I think youth leadership is an important thing, and that adults should be shifting responsibilities to kids as they are ready, eh? But in terms of findin' a troop, families should look for a "good fit." A kid who's pretty independent and hates the uniform might be much more at home in a relaxed uniform, high-level of youth leadership troop. A kid who has more attention and behavior issues or who thrives in a more structured environment might need a stricter unit with more adult "presence" and control.

Seriously, though, I think yer parents are better off lookin' at just two things: do they like and trust the SM (and ASMs, to a lesser extent), and do they like and trust the SPL (and PL's, to a lesser extent). The troop's character is reflected in those that are chosen as leaders, eh?