Term of Troop Committee

Yah, wingnut had a good answer, eh? That's the real answer, anyway.

Personally I encourage units to have fixed terms of office, though, for everything. Makes it easier to recruit people if it's not completely open-ended. Can help with stability, too, if yeh stagger it a bit. A few troops around here have term limits, too. I'm sorta opposed to that, but it can bring in some new blood and prevent the "we've always done it this way" disease.

So I'd suggest for MC's a term of 2 years, staggered. If yeh want to do the term limits thing, make it somethin' like 2 terms, then you have to be "off" for at least 1 term before you can be "on" again.

One of the biggest problems I see in units is that they aren't selective enough about MC's and CC's. Sometimes a CC is just the loudest guy. Units should actively target and recruit for committee positions, especially key spots like Treasurer, Advancement, CC, etc. They should also actively recruit Wisdom for the TC - troop graduates, CO members, a doc, an attorney, a local outdoor guide. People who bring some depth and gravitas, and who are committed to the program as a whole, not (just) their own son.

At the end of each year, the Charter is renewed and at that time all slots on the TC as well as the SM and ASM's are open for renewal or appointment. The one year term limit is good because it allows for a person to discontinue a job that he/she is not doing well and/or to settle issues when one side or the other does not want to work with the other. If there are problems between the sponsor and the unit, then this is also a time to realign personnel. It allows for fine tuning of people resources. It allows for new people to enter and for others to exit or to mentor new ones. It allows for people to strike bargains for new directions or to get rid of others.

A one year term limit is a good way to recruit new members. Most adults are willing to accept a job for one year with a one hour per week commitment, than if they were told they would be signing up for an indefinite stay. The one year mark is an excellent time to review and evaluate performance to reset a units direction. It can also be a time to reflect on what went exceedingly well and declaring a continuance. fb

Not only are the troop committee members performance (*functions and assignments) reviewed at Recharter time but Scouts are allowed to discontinue at this time. The SC/sponsoring institution must approve the charter prior to its' being sent to the Council office. fb

Fuzz is right, eh, but I consider that more of a paperwork thing. Reality is you don't have to wait to recharter, the CO and unit can set things up on any rotation they want.

Round here, recharter is in January. Other councils I've been in had recharter all different months for different units. But if you're a cub pack, January is pretty silly; most positions change with the new school year in August/September.

So choose a system that works for your unit, don't feel like you have to be bound by da recharter paperwork (though if that works for you, use it).

What do you do when th SM has a personality conflict with the CC? The CC has never been registered in the Troop until he became the CC. The Charter Organization did not appoint him in the position....he just vounteered to be the CC when the Troop formed a real TC when the SM was rebuilding the Troop. Now all kinds of problems have started since he took CC.

usetobafox,

Several options are open to the SM and the CC.

Look at what should be happening: The SM is a non-voting member of the TC (*keep it so no matter what), so it is important that the CC enter agenda items for the SM. The TC should be supporting the program set for the year. If the CC is subverting the program, then he will not have the support of the other voting members of the committee. He/she can easily be outvoted on most all issues. That will cause some frustration.

When people cannot work together, it is a poor example for the Scouts and they will know what is happening. It is paramount that a person grit the edge of his seat and swallow hard to get things done for the Scouts. I can tell you that avoiding a person that you dislike doesn't work well in the close quarters of the committee system. (*The Scouts will appreciate what you are doing.)

I don't advise walking out because when dislike is in the air, someone will eventually leave. People know when you are trying to get along in rough waters and they will appreciate your bravery.

(*Parents will appreciate what you are doing.)

Make sure that the program that you are trying to instill is one that the Scouts have been instrumental in creating. You will then be on the moral high ground which is easier to defend, especially if parents are on the committee.

Make sure that you pack the Troop with as many parents as possible. The stink of a bad relationship will be soon sniffed out and the CC will change attitude or set sail into the sunset.

Be proactively patient. Resist getting rid of the CC yourself.

fb

It was not mentioned what kinds of problems the CC is causing, but in general a personality conflict does not necessarily have to adversely affect the Troop program. At some point the SM and CC are going have to be adults and work together. If they can't, your Unit Commissioner (UC) should be there to help your unit resolve this kind of issue. Anyone can contact their unit UC for help. Hopefully, your UC is more than just a guy who signs off on your recharter paperwork. If that's all your UC does, maybe the District Commissioner should be contacted for help. Try to resolve this internally before involving you Chartering Organization (CO).

I seem to recall that Conflict Resolution was part of the Wood Badge training I got. Maybe it was another class. I may not recall the specifics, but I know where all my notes are.

Hmmmm.... Yah.

Personality Conflict is an over-used and pretty meaningless term to me. Usually these things are either a difference of vision, or a big ego and a difference of opinion on methods/tactics.

If it's a difference in vision, the whole committee and the CO need to firmly assert the common vision, and make it clear that others can perhaps find their ideal vision in a different program. Fuzzy's gentle pressure to move 'em out is most common and friendly, provided you can hold on to other key volunteers and kids while "waiting."

If it's a difference in tactics, some gentle committee education needs to happen to explain that tactics are the SM's domain, and honorable ladies and gentlemen on the committee keep their disagreements to themselves, until they're selected to be SM. But here you can work around people, move people into other positions that better make use of their unique personalities, that sort of thing.

All reasons for havin' fixed terms. Gives you a clear, less threatening "change spot."