Polar Bear Patch Snafu

Hi,

In our Council, there is a Polar Bear Patch available to Webelos and Boy Scouts that camp in weather below freezing and cook 3 meals during the time period.

At our recent Council Cub Scout Family Campout which included Tigers through Webelos, the temperature dropped to 27 degrees during the night with a whole bunch of rain and wind. The individual running the event informed all present that the boys had "earned" their Polar Bear patch and that it could be purchased at the Council store.

Of course the ladies in the Council Store relayed the information regarding the actual requirements. (Webelos and Boy Scouts only and the meal requirement. We ate all meals in the dining hall.)

I plan on contacting our DE for clarification, but, typically his response is along the lines of ... do whatever you think is best.

Would you give the kids the patch even though they didn't fulfill the requirements? I don't look forward to telling the little guys they didn't qualify....

Personally I want the River Otter Patch because of the water that came through the tent. My boys (10 & 11) pitched the tent and forgot the ground cloth... luckily the sleeping pads kept us fairly dry.

Thanks for you help and opinions.

Our summer camp gives out a Polar Bear award. The requirement is to go swimming in the lake before 7:00 AM (not real popular with the older Scouts or Scouters but real popular with the younger Scouts.

Our council requirements for polar bear award - remain outdoors for over 24 hours (no dinning hall eating) with the temperature not to exceed 32 degrees and cook your own meals. Many in our troop did the above but we didn't meet one more requirement which I was not aware of - it had to be done in the winter. Why? My job is not to ask why, just know the requirements.

Each council may have their own requirements. Up here in Michigan, we have many opportunities to earn this award!

I do not suggest forcing your council to make an exception in the award's requiements for your Cub Scouts. What I would suggest is that you look at some of the online patch companies & purchase your Pack's own patch for your boys.

Many have winter or foul weather camping stock patches. Or, if your don't like the stock patches, you can always create a custom one.

Here are some sites-

http://www.advantageemblem.com/

http://www.design-it.com/

http://www.patchsales.com/index.php?pageid=home

Buy some of the "Freezing Weather" patches from the scoutstuff.org web site and give those out.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/05NDC/images/08755.jpg

It's an extraneous council award such at this that does not impact advancement. Not an activity or merit badge or rank requirement. So IMHO, I think your unit should be able tailor awards such as this to meet the needs of your unit program. It's the quality of your program that promotes interest, education, and advancement.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Scoutnut,

I like the idea of giving them a Pack patch rather than the Council Patch.

I don't want to "force" the issue with the Council, but, I don't want the kids disappointed either... it wasn't their mistake.

Do any Councils have cold weather awards for both the cub and Boy Scout level with different requirements appropriate for each?

Or am I getting back into the Cubs don't cold weather camp thread??

Thanks for the responses.

Brrrrr. Reminds me of my first campout in Scouts. New Jersey. Late fall, no snow but freezing temps. Me in my army surplus sleeping bag: wool inner layer, poplin outer cover. Tents were army surplus shelter halves. I wiggled and scrunched enough at night to wiggle my way half out of the tent. Woke in the morning FREEZING from the waist down.