"If we plan it, we can do it"

If you've read my posts this past year, you know the struggle I've faced over turning our troop around from adult-led to boy led.

Last night's meeting was what I've been hoping for. While I was busy talking to a Mom of two new Scouts, SPL started the meeting. They did the standard Pledge and Scout Oath. Chaplain's Aid said a prayer. Troop Guide asked Scouts what they knew about finding directions without a compass, then talked about how they would be working on that on upcoming backpack trip. Then, SPL gave a few words about plans for trip. ASPL then took over and talked about Leave no Trace.

Meanwhile, Patrol Leader and Troop Guide (after he did his thing on finding directions) went outside to set up materials for this week's game.

They had planned Radioactive Isotope Transport, but modified the equipment a bit so it didn't really work out as it should have. Scouts never got the isotope (in this case a 2-litre of Sprite) off the ground, much less out of the circle.

They all had fun though. It was terrific to watch and listen as one guy tried to tell another guy how to pull his rope. They were practicing teamwork. They were practicing leadership. Those that weren't actually playing were cheering the others on.

Then, SPL directed everyone back inside where they talked a bit more about the upcoming trip and the meeting plans for next week.

Finally, one of our new Scouts began to ask questions about what kind of trips the troop would be doing. He asked if we could rock climb, he asked if we would swim, he asked if we could go to ballgames.

In the past, SPL would have looked to me to answer. He never even glanced my way when he said, "if we plan it, we can do it."

I did a brief Scoutmaster's minute and we had our closing.

After closing, the PLC met for a few minutes to talk about next week's meeting and to make sure everyone knew what their job was or what they might need to bring.

Throughout the meeting, I sat and watched. Amazing. I thought this would never happen.

To echo Barry, I just love this Scouting stuff.

To quote Col. Hannibal Smith of The A-Team, "I love it when a plans come together".

Congrats on where you've come. Enjoy this time. Your role is now one of observing and guiding instead of demonstrating and doing. It takes adjustment. Also, be cognizant to the fact that your scouts can (and likely will) revert to their old ways at times. You'll have to adjust your style to where they are. When they revert, be prepared to step in and coach them along. I've found that recognizing this to be as much of a challenge as getting them there in the first place.

Good luck to you and your troop.

Thank you all for your kind words. I wish I could take all the credit for the turnaround our troop is making, but I must give credit where it is due.

To my husband, one of our ASMs and probably the hardest sell on the whole boy-led thing, for finally understanding what I've been saying and trying to do for the past two years. Every time he would tell me, I want the troop to do this or go there, I would remind him that we may present the ideas to the boys, but it is ultimately their decision. Where he used to immediately answer a scout's question, he now says "go ask your patrol leader." When it came time to clean out our garage of scout equipment and reload the trailer, he waited until our Jr. ASM and QM came to our house to work with him. (I started a thread about this somewhere else on the forum and, yes, my house has finally been cleaned up - those boys did a REALLY great job.)

We have a new ASM just sign up a couple of months ago, been to training, and understand how the BSA Program works (even though he admits often how hard it is to sit back and let the boys do the work).

The Scouts themselves deserve the most credit. Oh, yes, the older scouts were VERY resistant to change a couple of years ago. And, yes, a couple of them have aged out or simply left. But, the scouts that remained have worked hard. The infusion of new scouts this past year has helped the older scouts to really have a job to do, and they are stepping up to it.

Even the last two remaining "legacy" scouts who will turn 18 within the next 12 months and have been pretty much absent for years, are showing up regularly to meetings, have attended a few outings with the troop, and are working hard to become the Eagle Scouts they want to be. I guess they, too, finally understand that our troop is not just giving away rank - it must be earned.

So, keeping EagleinKY's advice in mind and trying not to take it too personally when the guys take the inevitable steps backwards, I will look forward to fun troop meetings and campouts, look foward to watching "my" boys grow and learn, and look forward to the feeling of accomplishment one gets after reaching a hard fought goal.

Thanks again everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight is the last meeting before the guys set off this weekend for their backpacking trip. Since my first post on this thread, the boys have stuck to the plans they made at last month's PLC for the weekly meetings leading up to this trip. Tonight is backpack inspection. While I figure some guys will forget to bring their packed backpacks, I have a strong feeling that many will remember.

Each week's meeting has been informative and fun. All planned and run by the boys. Amazing!

What is even more amazing? Last week I wasn't even there. A chance to go to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert came up at the last minute and after much thoughtful consideration I decided to take the family.

Oh, yes, I worried. What is going to happen if I'm not there for the Scout meeting? Guess what? Everything that was supposed to happen did. Report from our new ASM that the guys did a great job, stuck to their agenda, and a productive meeting was held.

My older son came home from college for the long weekend and joined us at the concert last Monday night. Driving home he commented "isn't this a Scout night?" When I replied that yes indeed it was, he said "Wow, Mom. Isn't this what you've been working toward for two years? A chance to actually miss a meeting and know that everything will be OK?"

Yep, I sure am proud of my scouts!

(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)