If BP had started scouting in 2006, what would it look like?

This was my question from another thread.

If Lord BP had lived 100 years later and had started scouting now, in 2006, what would it look like?

Uniforms, merit badges, icons and phrases, etc.?

Assume, for kicks, that BP could start a program (despite today's legal, political, and social enviroments that would make it more difficult or impossible.)

Just curious of the thoughts out there...

Brian

www.savescouting.org

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young man, Hello BP. How are you doing?

BP, I am doing fine but for the life of me, I cant figure out what rap music is all about.

YM, Well, dont worry about that because it is only a secret code for cussing. You know, kids will be kids.

BP, Ok, so people are speaking their minds?

YM, Yep, they're letting it all out.

BP, Ok, so do you want to be a Scout?

YM, What is it to be a Scout?

BP, Camping out and having meetings.

YM, I dont think so, we have cars and girls. Can you top that?

BP, Uniforms?

YM, I dont get it.

BP, Sorry, it was just a thought.

fb

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Good question...and a very tough question. It would be easy to say it would probably be the same, but I'm not sure it would, and here's why...

BP shaped Scouting from his perceptions and experiences in the Boer War. He felt that the British Army would be a much better force if boys were better prepared with certain skills before they joined the Army - from this, Scouting was born. It wasn't meant to be a military training ground, but the outdoor skills taught in Scouting certainly would serve a recruit in good stead - and would also serve those not joining the military too - it would be good for the country.

Since the Boer War was a great influence on what Scouting became, if BP lived now, instead of then, the Boer War wouldn't have the same impact - so something else would have to impact his thinking. My hypothesis? The Falklands War, or perhaps the first Gulf War would have been that influence, assuming of course that BP is a military man in this time as well. Both of these wars had less reliance on "surviving in the outback" than the Boer War, and much more reliance on Technology and Communications.

So I think Scouting would focus more on Technology and less on the Outdoors. I think we would still see the emergency preparedness skills heavily taught (First Aid, etc). Probably a lot of athletics to keep people physically fit, but I think Camping would be dropped as an Eagle required badge to be replaced by Communications or Technology. Summer Camp would be held in computer rooms on college campuses all over the nation. Instead of practicing lashings, Scouts would be practicing writing computer code. The outdoors would still be there, as a lesser component (and forget Indian Lore) but I think it would be quite different than what we see now. Scout Troops? They would be virtual, with no district, council or regional boudaries. Instead, Scouts would join a Troop that matched their interests and technology levels - Mac users would join Troops of other Mac users, etc. The size of the Troop would be limited to he size of a "chat room" - if a "chat room" could hold 36 people, and assuming 2 adults in a Troop to lead, guide and teach, the maximum size of a Troop would be 34. If Troop 185 if full, then a new chat room and Troop 186 is formed. Just some thoughts on what it might look like.

CalicoPenn

This question has no point! Scouting would be completely different if it was started in 2006. But, what does that have to do with anything? All this thread is trying to do is justify faulty logic as to why there has been a membership decline in Scouting with the biggest decline in the part of the program that has nothing to do with what Brian perceives the problem to be!

It's still hard to believe Brian actually went to Wood Badge!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Brian,

I can't recall exactly, but as i understand it, you attended WB fairly early in your scouting career, is that right? Mainly because you said boys need trained leaders. I suugest you get a few more years of experience under you belt, attend roundtable, local training like Boy Scout leader specific training. THEN, go to WB, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

There may be a decline in membership today, but in any organization, some things are cyclical. Memberhsip will rebound. The best way for your troop to get new boys is to have scouts bring a guest.

Good luck.

I missed the WB section of this topic, but it is kind of thought provoking to think what scouting would be like if it were started in this day and age. I do believe it would be almost impossible to start today, however i think it would be different regardless. I think first you need to look at the time lines and say, what would America be like if BSA wasn't around for the last 100 years or so. Too many people who had some scouting structure helped shape this great nation, and used there scouting values to do so. So with that the real question is, What would America be like without Scouting?

Just My thoughts.

Bill Q

Brianbuf,

If BP started scouting, things would look different, but I believe there would still be elements to it that would be familiar to us today. There would still be a strong emphasis on citizenship and character development. There would still be a need teach skills that help our fellow man: First Aid, Survival Skills, and Emergency Prepardness. Camping skills would still be a part of the program because the outdoors is where we need to practice those skills. Besides, It's been proven that boys still love the outdoors.

"Indian Lore" would not exist because we would not have the influence of Daniel Beard that started that tradition. Our honorary society would not be the OA, but would look completely different.

What do you want it to look like?

--Jeff

""Indian Lore" would not exist because we would not have the influence of Daniel Beard that started that tradition."

Ernest Thompson Seton must be spinning in his grave.

We did not get Indian Lore from Dan Beard. Beard's program was based on the american frontiersman. Indian Lore came from Seton's Woodcraft Indians, and was one of the influences on the OA.

"Our honorary society would not be the OA, but would look completely different."

Our honorary society might not have been the OA. The OA was but one of half a dozen such groups being looked at, along with Firecrafters, Tribe of Mic-O-Say, Gimogash, Nani Ba Zhu, Ku-Ni-eh, and others. Most groups took their que from Indian Lore, but some did not. OA was the strongest and most previlent, but things might have gone differently.

Emb021,

Shucks, I thought I was so smart about Scouting. Thanks for the correction. Never trust what you read on the internet, especially from me. :) Anyway, just replace Seton with Beard on my last post because that's what I meant.

--Jeff

:Brian,

I can't recall exactly, but as i understand it, you attended WB fairly early in your scouting career, is that right? Mainly because you said boys need trained leaders. I suugest you get a few more years of experience under you belt, attend roundtable, local training like Boy Scout leader specific training. THEN, go to WB, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

There may be a decline in membership today, but in any organization, some things are cyclical. Memberhsip will rebound. The best way for your troop to get new boys is to have scouts bring a guest.

Good luck. "

Gonzo,

Thanks for the advice and warm comments.

I am curious if anyone has any reliable stats in the last 20 years that show that scouting membership went up nationwide?

People say it goes up and down, what was the last year membership went up?

Brian

Been surfing the forum for awhile (took a short break), but have a question for brianbuf.

You have been questioning scouting as it is and asking the forum for what we think it would be if starting up today. My question to you is: What do YOU think scouting would be if starting up today? Please include as much detail as possible like you ask this campfire to do.

Looking forward to your post.

yis