I know that this will fall on deaf ears but I would like to share something that I have learned the hard way in the Scouting program that at times I loved too much.

There are only three skills/duties that defines an outstanding Leader in Scouting.

Knowing how to delegate and then doing it.

Knowing how to recruit and then doing it.

Knowing how to be a quiet mentor and then doing it.

If a person added these three to the list of duties for the one job they have in Scouting, they would have plenty of time left to truly enjoy it. fb

Anyone out there know "The Button Factory" skit? It goes like this...

Fellow comes on stage and introduces himself, all the while bobbing up and down rythmically...

Hi!!...

I'm George, and I work in ...

A button factory...

One day...

My boss comes by he says George? Are ya BUSY?...

I say no...

He says... Can ya do THIS? (wave right arm up and down)

I say OH KAYEE...

(bounce up and down, waving your arm)

HI! My name's George...

And I work in a button factory....

One day my boss comes by he says George?? Are ya Busy??

I say No...

He says can ya do this??? ( lift left leg up and down)

I say OH KAYEE....

(bounce up and down, wave right arm, raise left leg)

Do you see where this is going? Keep adding motions on until...

HI!! MY NAME IS (pant pant) George!!! I STILL WORK...

IN A BUTTON FACTORY...

ONE DAY (pant pant) MY BOSS COMES BY HE SAYS GEORGE...???

I SAY WHAAATT????

HE SAYS ...ARE YA BUSY??? (pant pant)

I SAY YEP!!! ( George falls pver...)

Let he with ears to hear....

YiS

I agree with Fuzzy Bear that delegation and recruiting are important. About 1/2 of what I do could be made easier by some delegation or recruiting (or recruiting to then delegate).

My only issue with the delegation is that I've gotten burned in the past by people not following through. I've ended up doing it all myself anyway, so why not just do it?

Let me clarify the act of delegating. It means that a person will need to take the time to recruit someone. Once they have agreed to sign-up, then they will need to agree to do the task that you could have already done. Once they do the task, it will need to be done again and/or their mistakes will need to be overlooked which takes learning patience. As a mentor, it will take time to train the person enough to get them excited about the Scouting program. The outcome is the making of a new friend, expanding resources and reducing your own workload by one job. The long term effect is that you will gain a large circle of friends that will be doing large amounts of work but your sacrifice will be to relieve yourself of personal perfection while keeping your life balanced.

Once again, one job per person but use your enthusiasm to learn to delegate. I assure you, it will be worth the effort. fb