I'm looking for ideas on making personal first aid kits using something OTHER than 35mm film canisters. Since most people have gone digital these aren't readily available anymore and I would like to find something that could fit into your pocket instead of around your neck. Any ideas?

Are you looking for a similarly tiny package?

If yes, my first thought is to check with your local film developing store.

If not, then I'd suggest Ziploc freezer bags or small Tupperware-type tubs, especially the "semi-disposable" ones.

Nephew made his in a zippered pencil bag...the kind the elementary school children would put inside their 3 ring binder. It doesn't fit in his pocket but it sure does travel well in his day pack, backpack, notebook, etc.

If you are looking for something small that will fit in a pocket and hold a couple of band-aids I'd suggest the snack size zip lock baggies.....or how about the tube that M&M Mini's come in?

Hmmmm....I like that idea....I'll have to write that down for Readyman. lol

YiS

Michelle

If you go to the dollar stores, or look at the sample aisle, you can sometimes find small zipper pouches that samples came in. I've gotten those for first aid kits SOmetimes you can even get stores to hold some of these when they are about to throw them out. I've gotten some from Target that way. It's worth a try!!!

The 35 mm canister was used for a functional first-aid neckerchief slide. I am guessing that is what you meant by going "around your neck"? When considering something that will go into you pocket, I am guessing you mean your front pocket as opposed to going into the hip pocket, I would suggest that you consider what you want in it first. The size and shape of the contents may define the kind/size of carrier you want.

Wal-mart has small bottles for travel on the sample isle. They may have other types of small carriers as well. Some people use their wallet to carry band-aids. I use baggies to carry first aid type items in my personal travel bag whether it is for vacation, business or camping.

You may want to consider using a small Army belt pouch. I also have used a small Army bag with a shoulder strap to carry kit for aid, lunch and TP, etc. This works well for short hikes and around camp.

FB